How large a parachute can I fit in BT50 body tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread I posted about a Space Station Rocket that I have been slow-building for quite some time. It will launch on E-engine and is heavy - I cannot remember exact weight / don't have it in front of me but I had computed that 2x 24" chutes for recovery would be ok.

I had originally planned on separation at nose cone with one chute in tube and other in nose cone but have since realized the chute will not fit / likely get stuck in the nose cone. I think that I can tightly role the chute and get a 24" chute in the BT50 tube with clean ejection (fingers crossed).

Should I modify the design and make the rocket split either above or below the ping-pong ball section (then I can load two chutes in either side of separation both in BT50 body tubes)? I also think having the body come down in half is less likely to result in a bend in the middle regardless of decent chute ejection. Any other ideas?

1632672720370.jpeg

Also looking for advice so the chutes do not get stuck or any other thoughts / ideas for recovery on heavy rocket with small body tubes.

Last edited:
IIRC the Estes Astron Drifter was a BT-50 rocket that came with 24" plastic parachute. If you were concerned about fit I've heard of very thin cloth chutes that might pack a little bit tighter.

Back