Hi RF! Newbie Here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigBaddy

It's OK to not know something
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, a "new person" post. Sorry. Figured it was time to join and donate. :)

Been slowly getting back into this rocketry thing as an adult. My son enjoys the hell out of it too, so that helps. And, it's been a great winter for getting back to building and flying and we're having a ton of fun. This forum, even not previously as a member, has been an invaluable resource. I enjoy reading and soaking up info and there sure is a lot. Hopefully I can contribute something useful eventually. I'm in the SE corner of WI; I suppose we should join a club around here too.

Got plenty of other interests, so not always buried in rockets. Maple syrup season is almost here, then MTB racing season, etc. Collecting hobbies is fun.

I'll hopefully get to posting my in-progress scratch build Alien Space Probe. The one I built ~30 years ago bit the dust after the ancient white glue holding the motor mount let go. This new one is a bit beefy and can take 24mm E/F engines. And, I also just finished up this Big Daddy and a Multi-Roc so we can two-stage the new Astrocam nosecone.

IMG_5315.PNG

20210215150152_IMG_5321.JPG

Thanks for having me!

Yeah, a "new person" post. Sorry. Figured it was time to join and donate. :)

Been slowly getting back into this rocketry thing as an adult. My son enjoys the hell out of it too, so that helps. And, it's been a great winter for getting back to building and flying and we're having a ton of fun. This forum, even not previously as a member, has been an invaluable resource. I enjoy reading and soaking up info and there sure is a lot. Hopefully I can contribute something useful eventually. I'm in the SE corner of WI; I suppose we should join a club around here too.

Got plenty of other interests, so not always buried in rockets. Maple syrup season is almost here, then MTB racing season, etc. Collecting hobbies is fun.

I'll hopefully get to posting my in-progress scratch build Alien Space Probe. The one I built ~30 years ago bit the dust after the ancient white glue holding the motor mount let go. This new one is a bit beefy and can take 24mm E/F engines. And, I also just finished up this Big Daddy and a Multi-Roc so we can two-stage the new Astrocam nosecone.

Thanks for having me!

If you're in the southeast corner of Wisconsin, you can join up with Tripoli Wisconsin. They fly at Bong recreational facility, which won't be far from you. I flew with them before I moved in 2012 and they are fantastic.

If you're in the southeast corner of Wisconsin, you can join up with Tripoli Wisconsin. They fly at Bong recreational facility, which won't be far from you. I flew with them before I moved in 2012 and they are fantastic.

Thanks! Bong is a few minutes from my house and recently noticed people fly there.

Welcome! I definitely recommend joining a club if you have one nearby. Also, I really dig the pain on that big daddy. Plastic bag texture?

Welcome!

As many here will attest, I have a concern about the Estes Big Daddy, but I've got to say yours looks really COOL!!! (I had another word in mind, it involved misbehaving donkeys, but you mentioned kids, so I'll self censor).

One thing that you may or may not be aware about is the fit of the Estes Big Daddy's nosecone, and it's frequency of lawndarting. a lot of people seem to overlook the remarks on the instructions that say to add tape to the shoulder if it's too loose. If you can pick the rocket up by the nosecone and the rest stays with it, you're likely safe. If the back falls off, add tape.

Pointy Side Up!

Welcome!

As many here will attest, I have a concern about the Estes Big Daddy, but I've got to say yours looks really COOL!!! (I had another word in mind, it involved misbehaving donkeys, but you mentioned kids, so I'll self censor).

One thing that you may or may not be aware about is the fit of the Estes Big Daddy's nosecone, and it's frequency of lawndarting. a lot of people seem to overlook the remarks on the instructions that say to add tape to the shoulder if it's too loose. If you can pick the rocket up by the nosecone and the rest stays with it, you're likely safe. If the back falls off, add tape.

Pointy Side Up!

Thanks for the welcome! My lurking has taught me well. Already chopped the cone and put in a plywood bulkhead (this one from Apogee is nearly a perfect fit). Cone is snug in the body; it does need tape. It's ready to fly.

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_172337492.jpg
    IMG_20210201_172337492.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome. I'll have to try that paint technique.

Thanks, it's easier than I expected. Just be sure the base coat is fully cured and don't be afraid to lay on the top color pretty heavy. I practiced on a primed and painted paper towel tube before I tried it on the BD. Safety first, right?

Latest posts

Back