Here's a time waster for you...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgould

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
But it is awesomely cool!

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Kerbal Space program is a perfect game for us rocketry nuts....

Info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerbal_Space_Program

Just blew away several hours on this...but I got my Kerbalnaut into orbit & back safely. You can set up programs to go anywhere, from their moon to other planets....but you have to make EVERYTHING work right.

This is cool!

-C

It is an awesome game. You learn a lot and have fun all the time. Me and my buddies settup different challenges, like who can go to the highest altitude with 2 engines, or go orbit the moon and come back. And the good thing is that everyone plays it differently.

I've wanted to get into KSP for a while, but if I did, I SURE wouldn't get anything else done!! LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

Definitely a fun and addicting game. It can be played without being a rocket scientist.... but the more you know (and learn), the better you can do. One of my favorite experts who does youtube vids, KURTJMAC, still uses some badly inefficient engines at times.

An oddity in KSP is that the most efficient way to "stage" is to do parallel-staging. With lots of clustered tanks with engines on the bottom, and fuel lines arranged so the fuel from the first set of tanks to be dropped, ends up feeding all the tanks/engines of the "stage".

Here's some images of a few of mine:

A ship that used a combination of jet engines (for the first stage), and rockets.

TiBXw.jpg

A Little Joe-II by Tom Beach (Sport Rocketry editor). I built a big rocket to send it on its way to Kerbin's "Mun" (moon), and added landing legs to Tom's Little Joe-II so it could land (also added ladders).

4vMD4.jpg

A different ship, in parking orbit around Kerbin, firing the engines of a deep space transfer stage to begin a long journey to Moho .

VUKqCEk.jpg

Landed on Moho (closest to their sun), next to a very deep hole at the north pole:

UETQamA.jpg

Docking about to happen between a "Taxi" ship in Kerbin orbit, and my favorite lander design after a very complex trip to Eve & Gilly.

0ERuKmc.jpg

The Taxi ship bringing the lander's crew back for a safe landing at KSC.

1bohqbx.jpg

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Geroge: Nice rockets!

Yes. The game is addicting, but fun as heck! I'm mastering getting spacecraft in to Orbit efficiently right now. Well, mastering getting into Orbit smoothly, really. :)

I've had the game for two days now, and the things you can do with it are pretty cool!

It's a nice way to keep the rocketry bug going in between real world rocketry projects. My 7 year old is really getting into watching me build rockets, getting the launch sequence correct, etc. He just sits there with me glued to the action, asking questions, suggesting things from time to time. Whodda thunked that would be a way to bod with your kid? :)

Geroge: Nice rockets!

Yes. The game is addicting, but fun as heck! I'm mastering getting spacecraft in to Orbit efficiently right now. Well, mastering getting into Orbit smoothly, really. :)

I've had the game for two days now, and the things you can do with it are pretty cool!

It's a nice way to keep the rocketry bug going in between real world rocketry projects. My 7 year old is really getting into watching me build rockets, getting the launch sequence correct, etc. He just sits there with me glued to the action, asking questions, suggesting things from time to time. Whodda thunked that would be a way to bod with your kid? :)

Alright, I was looking at this game on steam going "hmmmmmmm should I?"

After looking at these screenshots and what not it looks like an amped up SPORE style interface, and from what everyone is saying its easilly worth the 22$ they want for it.

Meh, why not.

I forgot to mention that one other oddity in KSP is that aerodynamic drag is not quite realistic. There is drag, but if you add a nose cone you fly lower (or use more fuel), because the game recognizes the mass of the nose cone, but does not reduce the drag. At some point they will probably fix that. Anyway, that explains why many of the rockets and ships look so blunt and draggy.... it does not matter.

One of the biggest challenges I originally failed at, was to land a Kerbal on Eve, and get him back into orbit. Eve is the hardest planet to get to orbit from, if you do not count Jool (Jupiter) which does not even have a solid surface to safely land on. Compared to Kerbin, Eve's atmosphere is 5 times thicker, almost 50% higher (98 km vs 70), and the gravity is something like 80% greater.

One of the tricks some used was to find a higher altitude location to land on and fly back from, than from close to sea level.

I finally used an "out of the box" solution, though it still took a lot of trial and error to be able to make orbit. The solution worked so well, that I ended up flying two Kerbals into orbit, not just one. A 1-kerbal pod (capsule) weighed 0.8 ton. My No-Pod solution weighed about 0.16 ton.

Here the second Kerbal is climbing up a ladder about to take off.

65R68U9.jpg

Shortly after liftoff. The 6 outer tank/engines sets are dropped in pairs, using the parallel "asparaus staging" that is unique to KSP.

3KJyrUF.jpg

After dropping two pairs of engine/tanks, about to get high enough thru the thick (but thinning) atmosphere to begin the gravity turn. At this point all of the engines that are firing in the central core, are getting their fuel from the two remaining side tanks (This is how Asparagus staging works so efficiently).

p3EbKOG.jpg

Outer tanks/engines gone, only the core remains. The side-mount upper stage engines are getting all their fuel from the lower stage tanks, until the lower stage is jettisoned.

u9jhlAA.jpg

The final stage, with the two Kerbals still clinging onto the ladders.

Djg6UzN.jpg

After they made orbit at about 100 km (2 km or less above the atmosphere), my "Synchronicity-II" lander rendezvoused so the two Kerbals could EVA over to it and get inside. From there, they went on to land on Gilly (Eve's moon), explore, then back to Kerbin.

1K3BvtP.jpg

In a far different vein, a prototype of a "ship" used for a different mission. When I did this, the game did not have the open-air seats they have now for rovers, so hanging onto ladder rungs was the only lightweight option (which has some issues, as the Kerbals can slide off).

2mhFONj.jpg

You often get to see (and take screenshots of) some really nice space scenes......

BTW - this is what my Synchronicity-II lander looks like after it has "asparagus staged" all its other outer tanks and engines. The two remaining engines are very highly efficient (but heavy and low thrust) nuclear engines that make the interplanetary return flights more practical

mJ6XwwC.jpg

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on the Nose Cones!

I was beginning to suspect that something was off with the drag coefficients, and you confirmed this!

aaah....with this piece of data, I can't wait to play tonight when I get home!!!

:)

I forgot to mention that one other oddity in KSP is that aerodynamic drag is not quite realistic. There is drag, but if you add a nose cone you fly lower (or use more fuel), because the game recognizes the mass of the nose cone, but does not reduce the drag. At some point they will probably fix that. Anyway, that explains why many of the rockets and ships look so blunt and draggy.... it does not matter.

One of the biggest challenges I originally failed at, was to land a Kerbal on Eve, and get him back into orbit. Eve is the hardest planet to get to orbit from, if you do not count Jool (Jupiter) which does not even have a solid surface to safely land on. Compared to Kerbin, Eve's atmosphere is 5 times thicker, almost 50% higher (98 km vs 70), and the gravity is something like 80% greater.

One of the tricks some used was to find a higher altitude location to land on and fly back from, than from close to sea level.

I finally used an "out of the box" solution, though it still took a lot of trial and error to be able to make orbit. The solution worked so well, that I ended up flying two Kerbals into orbit, not just one. A 1-kerbal pod (capsule) weighed 0.8 ton. My No-Pod solution weighed about 0.16 ton.

Here the second Kerbal is climbing up a ladder about to take off.

65R68U9.jpg

Shortly after liftoff. The 6 outer tank/engines sets are dropped in pairs, using the parallel "asparaus staging" that is unique to KSP.

3KJyrUF.jpg

After dropping two pairs of engine/tanks, about to get high enough thru the thick (but thinning) atmosphere to begin the gravity turn. At this point all of the engines that are firing in the central core, are getting their fuel from the two remaining side tanks (This is how Asparagus staging works so efficiently).

p3EbKOG.jpg

Outer tanks/engines gone, only the core remains. The side-mount upper stage engines are getting all their fuel from the lower stage tanks, until the lower stage is jettisoned.

u9jhlAA.jpg

The final stage, with the two Kerbals still clinging onto the ladders.

Djg6UzN.jpg

After they made orbit at about 100 km (2 km or less above the atmosphere), my "Synchronicity-II" lander rendezvoused so the two Kerbals could EVA over to it and get inside. From there, they went on to land on Gilly (Eve's moon), explore, then back to Kerbin.

1K3BvtP.jpg

In a far different vein, a prototype of a "ship" used for a different mission. When I did this, the game did not have the open-air seats they have now for rovers, so hanging onto ladder rungs was the only lightweight option (which has some issues, as the Kerbals can slide off).

2mhFONj.jpg

You often get to see (and take screenshots of) some really nice space scenes......

BTW - this is what my Synchronicity-II lander looks like after it has "asparagus staged" all its other outer tanks and engines. The two remaining engines are very highly efficient (but heavy and low thrust) nuclear engines that make the interplanetary return flights more practical

mJ6XwwC.jpg

- George Gassaway

Neat... a variation of the Gemini unpressurized lunar lander... basically seats with a rocket engine under it and tanks...

Nice solution... Later! OL JR :)

Because I use no mods other than MechJeb (for guidance), and limit myself to solid and chemical engines (no jets, nukes, ions or aerospikes), my designs tend to not have as much variations as George's there.

But I've been able to accomplish several things with some basic designs:

My Kerbal space station with Explorer Two and a single man shuttle docked.
1040625_10152037298149126_958940114_o.jpg

Explorer Two approaching Duna for aerobraking into orbit. Because I don't use the orbital construction mod, the spacecraft is assembled and fueled using multiple launches and docking clamps, requiring manual fuel transfer (there is only a center engine). Also, living quarters are behind the 3 man capsule for the long trip, along with large solar cells (currently retracted):
278223_10152071985474126_870309674_o.jpg

That's one small step... Used parachutes located in lower stage of lander for shedding velocity.
278223_10152071985489126_696532287_o.jpg

Upper stage of lander returns. Fuel transferred and balanced, punting off two tanks. After discarding lander, will boost back to Kerbal.
278223_10152071985494126_1581605568_o.jpg

And finally returning home to a soft landing on land.
966374_10152071999389126_285066641_o.jpg

FC

Last edited:
Back