Help with Research at Seattle's Museum of Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
In February, I'll have a chance to do some research at the Museum of Flight library in Seattle. I'm interested in building an index of rocketry articles that appeared in model airplane magazines. The Museum has graciously provided a list of the magazines in their archive:

1. The Aero modeler
2. Aerospace modeler magazine
3. Air trails (1937)
4. Air trails (1950)
5. Air trails classic flying models
6. Air trails hobbies for young men
7. Air trails model annual
8. Air world
9. Aircraft in miniature
10. Aircraft model collector
11. Aircraft model world
12. Airfix magazine
13. Airfix magazine for modellers
14. Airfix magazine for plastic modellers
15. Airfix magazine for true-scale model enthusiasts
16. Airspace model : the how-to-do-it magazine
17. American aircraft modeler
18. American aircraft modeler annual
19. American modeler
20. American modeler annual
21. AMI : Aviation Modeller Annual
22. Fine scale modeler
23. Flying models
24. International Plastic Modeller Society quarterly
25. Model Airplane News
26. Model Aviation
27. Model Builder
28. Model world
29. Plastic aircraft models
30. Young men (a predecessor to American modeler)

I know that articles appeared in American Aircraft Modeler (Harry Stine had a column in there for years) and Model Builder (regular column by Doug Pratt).

If anyone here knows of other publications in this list which had articles, please let me know.

If there are other publications not on the list that I should ask the Museum about, let me know that as well.

Any help in prepping for this research is greatly appreciated!

Bun-Noir.....

You might want to check out "AirplanesAndRockets.Com"
[https://www.airplanesandrockets.com]

The site owner (Kirt Blattenberger) is into model planes and rockets. Lots of articles from old magazines there. So, it may not only help you figure out what to research in Seattle, but provide a secondary research source so you could make most efficient use of your time at the museum for things not on this website.

A sample: https://www.airplanesandrockets.com/rockets/rocket-trails-jun-1962-american-modeler.htm

June 1962 American Modeler

How To Get Started In Model Rocketry

by Harry (Old Rocketeer) Stine

Show me a fellow with soul so dead who never to himself hath said, "I'd like to fly a rocket." This is a symptom of a contagious disease prevalent in many civilized nations of the world. It can be fatal if the afflicted person starts off by trying to mix his own rocket propellants. However, if the patient chooses to buy his rocket engines from a reputable manufacturer, it means that he has contracted a non-lethal form of the rocket disease and can be well on his way to having the time of his life. The non-lethal form, called "model rocketry," is lots of fun.

The critical stage of the disease occurs within the first few weeks. It involves confusion on the part of the patient in the form of, "Where do I get stuff? How do I get started?"

Chances are that you will not find any model rocket equipment in your local hobby store. The customer demand for model rocket stuff isn't that great - yet, few dealers stock kits, engines, and equipment. But while you're there in the hobby store, pick up some dope, glue, an X-acto knife, and some sandpaper ... you'll need it later.

So the majority of model rocket equipment is sold by the manufacturers. If you want to get into model rocketry, you'll have to do it by mail.
rocket-trails-american-modeler-jun-1962.jpg

[read more at above link]

Last edited:
Back