Help me gas dynamic stabilization, you are my only hope!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oustanding. GDS or not it appears a finless rocket with a forward mounted motor can be stable. All the barbecued parts give them character.

Forward mounted motors RULE! Fins up front are cool! Fins and motors in back are over rated on model rockets. Yes, burning off bits on your model rocket in flight gives it character, a nice barbecued patina! I'm sure there was some divine GDS at work. GDS has saved me! There is now a New Hope.

Now you need to combine your favorite themes in one mega-odd-roc: clustered, forward mounted motors, GDS with only forward fins. Ouch, now my head hurts.

Not quite a monster...but here is my latest craziness. Should...er...fly this weekend.

Here is my latest craziness. Should fly this weekend (if I can use that verb). BT60 tubes and 24mm mounts. I will try three C11s. I got the idea from pondering my Estes MIRV. But it's Not-a-MIRV I tell ya'...there will only be one RIV to dodge!

21813545128_41f0b631d9_z.jpg

Here is my latest craziness. Should fly this weekend (if I can use that verb). BT60 tubes and 24mm mounts. I will try three C11s. I got the idea from pondering my Estes MIRV. But it's Not-a-MIRV I tell ya'...there will only be one RIV to dodge!

View attachment 273765

Wow! that is a monster. 3X cluster with side by side GDS. If only 2 light then stability is still maintained by by cross induction and variable GDS throughout the flight. Brilliant. Are those Easter Egg nose cones? Since it will not break up like the MIRV it is really safe. Breaking up is hard to do.

However, you have fins, although they are small. Would Rocsim say the model is unstable? If so, then a straight flight would be a proof of principle. No fins would be even more impressive.

Yes, I bastardized the whole idea. I did one totally finless and didn't feel like I had to be a purist. While stable under boost, it pinwheels during coast. The Saturns had some natural stability and thus a better overall profile. Rocksim does not react well to this design and is not any help. I decided to add some fins that I had on hand. Those fins on a one bt60 version are not enough for stability so I assume they are not enough here either. Battery is almost gone so excuse the bad post.

Well, the bastardized GDS rocket flew just fine. A bit low for the C11's, but still satisfying. The short induction tubes got sooty but were undamaged. I have a poor video here, but it's good enough to see the flight profile. At least some of it :)

Yeah, D12's should be next. Glad the fire ban is over. I will be expecting additional interesting flight reports ASAP.

Back