Help identify a nut for this thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockie

High Plains Rocketeer
Reaction score
Can anybody I'd this threaded screw? It's flat on one side. I need a screw on nut for it.

The shaft is about 0.195" while the smaller threaded part is about 0.131"

Attachments

• 20220827_182931.jpg
    20220827_182931.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Can anybody I'd this threaded screw? It's flat on one side. I need a screw on nut for it.

The shaft is about 0.195" while the smaller threaded part is about 0.131"

Also measure the peak to peak of the thread so we know the pitch. For small threads like this it is a bit of a puzzle without that piece of info.

[Edit: The OD of the shaft isn't really involved, I thought you meant the major diameter of the thread at first reading. I now think you mean the major diameter of the thread is around 0.131". We'd need the minor diameter (i.e. diameter of valley to valley) and the pitch (i.e. peak to peak) to get you what you need.

At these small sizes, things can look metric or imperial with just a little change in dimensions. Do you have any reason to believe it is one system or the other? That can help with the determination (i.e. if it was a part made in Germany, its going to be metric no matter what, whereas if it is a US part, it could go either way. . . ). /Edit]

Sandy.

Last edited:
Do you have a Home Depot or Lowe's nearby? If so they have thread gauge tools in their fasteners section, that you can simply try the thread in and see what fits.

Based on the major diameter of the threads (measured on the threads you are pretty close to a #6 probably probably a #6-32 most likely, the flatend tops on the threads could easily be the major diameter for a #6 if they were sharp.

Sandy is correct on all counts about how to really determine what the thread really is.

Do you have a Home Depot or Lowe's nearby? If so they have thread gauge tools in their fasteners section, that you can simply try the thread in and see what fits.

Based on the major diameter of the threads (measured on the threads you are pretty close to a #6 probably probably a #6-32 most likely, the flatend tops on the threads could easily be the major diameter for a #6 if they were sharp.

Sandy is correct on all counts about how to really determine what the thread really is.
Thanks I'll get a thread gauge tool. Yes we have Home Depot,Liwes,Mennards,Ace Hardware and TSC.

Thanks I'll get a thread gauge tool. Yes we have Home Depot,Liwes,Mennards,Ace Hardware and TSC.

Even without the thread gauge tool, using the calipers you already have to get the minor diameter and the distance from peak to peak of the thread will get you to very high certainty.

Sandy.

I dunno how some people keep house without basic tools.

Get one of these, or similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Thread-Pitch-Gauge-SAE/dp/B004ROIU2A
That will get you the thread pitch. Then measuring OD will get you close enough to nominal major diameter to determine the screw size from a thread table.

Oddly enough, I have owned a tool like that before, but it either got lost or loaned out and I couldn't locate it in my shop today if my life depended on it. Definitely a good thing to have around unless you're just doing an odd job and won't do it again for a few years. In that case, using the calipers that we all own can get you close enough to interpret the published tables on the internet or the Machinery's Handbook if you prefer onion paper instead of the internet.

Sandy.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Yes, OP said thread OD is 0.131".
This could be a #6 (Nominal 0.140" od) or an M3.5 (0.136" od).

Typically the screw thread OD is slightly smaller than the Nominal OD.
OD itself is not enough to determine the thread.
Need to know the pitch also.

My guess is it is a 6-32NC thread
Check to see if there are 32 threads per inch, 8 per 1/4" or 4 per 1/8". This can be done with a scale.

Last edited:
Back