Hello World

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_timotheus

Reaction score
I was drawn in on a search for rocket tracking systems in order to get good photos/video. One rabbit hole led to another and well, here I am. It has been decades since I have launched a rocket, much has changed and it is all very exciting. The last time I tried with my kids when they were small was disappointing. The motor starters were not of a type I had experience with and nothing lit off. Reading through the forum has rekindled that rocket flame (no pun intended). We're now going to take another crack at it with some testing beforehand to make sure we have success - and I will keep doing the deep dive on tracking.

:welcome::goodjob: Egg timer rocketry has cheap tracking but you have to build it yourself but if you have built electronics before you will be fine. Also 1 quick tip get the separate boxes of ignitiers they are different and better.

Welcome! Things have changed so much. Check out wildman rocketry, and dragon rocketry. Stuff I only dreamed about when I was a kid, is now a reality. Its great!

Thank you all! When I mentioned tracking I should have been more specific. I really want to try and diy a good camera tracking system. Biggest problems I see are slewing a mount fast enough when close, and stability and good image centering when further out. The solutions might be mutually exclusive. We're looking forward to getting past step one of consistent successful launches.

Wow... If you live near Wallops, you have a VERY experienced rocketeer in your neighorhood. Paging @Antares JS to the thread!

Welcome aboard! After a 50 some-odd year hiatus myself, I was similarly surprised - motor power, electronics, cameras, people launching to the edge of space... A huge jump from an 18 mm WAC Corporal launched from a plastic battery case with a blast deflector and launch rod on top!

Wow... If you live near Wallops, you have a VERY experienced rocketeer in your neighorhood. Paging @Antares JS to the thread!

Welcome aboard! After a 50 some-odd year hiatus myself, I was similarly surprised - motor power, electronics, cameras, people launching to the edge of space... A huge jump from an 18 mm WAC Corporal launched from a plastic battery case with a blast deflector and launch rod on top!
What @Antares JS lives by wallops! We are in the same state! ( I live near VT)

What @Antares JS lives by wallops! We are in the same state! ( I live near VT)
It says "Eastern Shore, VA" right on the left there, and my PFP has the Antares in the background. It's not a secret...

I've been doing rocketry for 26 years with my only break being living in California when I couldn't afford it, but haven't really done much with cameras or tracking beyond building an Eggfinder. It's on the bucket list, but my big project focus right now is a high power two-stage.

It says "Eastern Shore, VA" right on the left there, and my PFP has the Antares in the background. It's not a secret...

I've been doing rocketry for 26 years with my only break being living in California when I couldn't afford it, but haven't really done much with cameras or tracking beyond building an Eggfinder. It's on the bucket list, but my big project focus right now is a high power two-stage.
For some reason I thought that it was the ESA launch vehicle (French is hard to spell) and I use my phone to access the forum so I don’t see that.

Everyone I know that lives/lived in California is rich. How did you miss the boat?

Back