Hello from Western Washington

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first rocket launch was in August 1968 (I was a spectator only).
Built and flew my first rockets a few weeks later.
Joined a couple NAR sections and became active and successful in competitive rocketry, 1969-1974
Switched to sport flying from the late 70s through the 80s.
Became more active again in the late 90s.
Rejoined a local NAR section in 1999.
Certified L1 and L2 in 2000.
Bought everything for a L3 project in 2001.
Then I found lots of other rocket projects that were more interesting.
Finally started building the L3 project in 2023.
Heard at our local club meeting this evening that I should join TRF, so I did.

Jim Pommert

Hi, Jim! As I said to Bob Yanacek, fancy meeting you here!

BTW, as I'm sure you figured, Saturday's BEMRC launch is going to be scrubbed for too much liquid sunshine in the forecast....

Hi Jim, nice to see you here. I saw you in the meetings last week, I was on Zoom. Hope to see you next year.

Hi Jim, what's your L3 project going to be? A 7.5" Thor? It would make your awesome Thor collection complete!

Hi Jim, what's your L3 project going to be? A 7.5" Thor? It would make your awesome Thor collection complete!
I thought of a 7.5" Thor properly scaled but decided I didn't want something nearly 15 feet tall as my certification bird. That would have been too much of a hassle with accessing the e-bay since I'd need to bring a ladder. Besides, I decided that I wanted something with a boat tail. So the bird is kind of an upscale of the old BS&D Apache, but different. I also wanted a rocket that I could fly on a small M at any of the Washington State high-power launch sites without building something heavier than I like. Tri-Cities has the lowest waiver of the current sites at 9,000 feet AGL. That kept me away from anything under 7.5"

By the way, I did add to my Thor collection recently. I now have a Micro-Max Thor!

I thought of a 7.5" Thor properly scaled but decided I didn't want something nearly 15 feet tall as my certification bird. That would have been too much of a hassle with accessing the e-bay since I'd need to bring a ladder. Besides, I decided that I wanted something with a boat tail. So the bird is kind of an upscale of the old BS&D Apache, but different. I also wanted a rocket that I could fly on a small M at any of the Washington State high-power launch sites without building something heavier than I like. Tri-Cities has the lowest waiver of the current sites at 9,000 feet AGL. That kept me away from anything under 7.5"

By the way, I did add to my Thor collection recently. I now have a Micro-Max Thor!
Sounds good. Still a nearly 15' tall Thor would be AWESOME! If you ever build one I'll carry the ladder for you!

Here's a picture of Jim's high power Thor's.

The low power Thor's:

An awesome collection! I bet there will be a 7.5" Thor someday!

If anyone is wondering why there are multiple 4" Thors, I'm pretty sure at least one is a cluster set up.

Back