Heat problems with black paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about painting my latest project (LOC Forte) solid black, as I like the looks of the face card with the gold decals on the black paint. But....

Has anyone had heat issues with a black rocket? I'm thinking electronics (JLCR, Marco Polo, altimeter, etc.) and even the friction fit of a motor eject nose.

Thoughts? Yes, I know I could opt for a lighter color. But I'd like to use black on this one,

Hans.

I have several all black rockets. Never any issues with electronics. Only problems I have encountered is if the black part was 3D printed. Then just keep out of sun till ready to fly.

I have had issues with older electronics in black nose cone... At Black Rock, on very hot days over 100F, after the rocket was on the pad for over 45 minutes. (Don't ask, LCO difficulty)

I'm sure no one flies those old electronics any more . But you are right to beware, be careful about exposure and duration.

Black absorbs heat... 3D printed parts might have a problem with warping if left out too long in the heat (say inside a hot car). I understand PLA really has a problem with this.

I have black rockets. It gets very hot in June. Over 100. We don't fly in July or August because we would melt out out on the lake bed. I've never had a problem.

I have black rockets. It gets very hot in June. Over 100. We don't fly in July or August because we would melt out out on the lake bed. I've never had a problem.
Thanks. Appreciate the comments.

I'm Scandinavian, so I'm not going to launch in over 90degF. If that.

FWIW, I didn't use much hot glue, most of it was T-88......

Hans.

the majority of things that fly at BALLS are black due to being made from carbon fiber and not wanting to add paint weight, decreasing performance. Although this year was cool, other's it's hot...
black is really not a problem

So that's why they do October Fest on Jean Dry Lake ?

Many years Ago LDRS was on Jean in June and it was like 115...

The only issue I've encountered is nosecone swelling a bit from the heat and being much more snug. I check them multiple times now up until it's on the rail and ready to fly.
This is true for any color rocket, including white. It seems seems to be true for all materials. Ambient air temperature seems to be the most important factor (also humidity if cardboard and /or balsa is involved), always check and re-check nose cone/coupler shoulder fit just before launch. As Dave S. said above, keep it out of the sun and I will add hot vehicles as well.

This is true for any color rocket, including white. It seems seems to be true for all materials. Ambient air temperature seems to be the most important factor (also humidity if cardboard and /or balsa is involved), always check and re-check nose cone/coupler shoulder fit just before launch. As Dave S. said above, keep it out of the sun and I will add hot vehicles as well.

Mine heated up on Black Rock on Yellow painted 38mm LOC tube and took out the only Batts I had

Last edited:
Back