3D Printing Has anyone modeled a Scud nose cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzzyva1000

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious, I was looking into trying to build a clone of the old estes Scud kit. There's a guy on shape ways selling for $65, but that seems a bit ridiculous. Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to model nosecones well. The rest of the kit has been scanned on space modeling (https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1340.htm) and so shouldn't be hard to cut some fins and the trim pieces, and stickershock23 has the decals.

If anyone has a model, or something similar, would be appreciated. Ideally something in 2 pieces since I am a bit limited with my smallish (15cm^3) print bed

Just curious, I was looking into trying to build a clone of the old estes Scud kit. There's a guy on shape ways selling for $65, but that seems a bit ridiculous. Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to model nosecones well. The rest of the kit has been scanned on space modeling (https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1340.htm) and so shouldn't be hard to cut some fins and the trim pieces, and stickershock23 has the decals.

If anyone has a model, or something similar, would be appreciated. Ideally something in 2 pieces since I am a bit limited with my smallish (15cm^3) print bed

If you have a rocksim. I have a nose cone.

If you are looking for an STL, seems easy enough in F360. If you have a day or two, I'll knock one out and post it...

Ok, this was quicker than I thought.... try this. The dimensions are for a BT-60 and the features are a best guess in terms of panel lines. The detail will depend on how you plan to print. Give it a try and let me know what needs adjusting.
Nose cone test v3.jpg

Attachments

• SCUD NC.stl
    361 KB · Views: 1
Ok, this was quicker than I thought.... try this. The dimensions are for a BT-60 and the features are a best guess in terms of panel lines. The detail will depend on how you plan to print. Give it a try and let me know what needs adjusting.
View attachment 612742

Thanks. I would have done it later.

View attachment 612742
Damn that was quick and looks great. Now I just need to figure out how to cut it to print it or finally break down and get a printer with a larger z axis dimension. Thanks!!

Damn that was quick and looks great. Now I just need to figure out how to cut it to print it or finally break down and get a printer with a larger z axis dimension. Thanks!!
How tall is that STL? A BT60 nose cone should easily fit on something like an Ender 3

How tall is that STL? A BT60 nose cone should easily fit on something like an Ender 3
It's just under 200 mm. Sadly with my adventurer 3 I am limited to 150x150x150. I have gotten it setup to be able to print ABS and ASA well, but sadly am limited on size. Waiting to upgrade to something larger than can do higher temp filaments too

It's just under 200 mm. Sadly with my adventurer 3 I am limited to 150x150x150. I have gotten it setup to be able to print ABS and ASA well, but sadly am limited on size. Waiting to upgrade to something larger than can do higher temp filaments too
What slicer are you using? You should be able to cut it with the slicer. However, here is another version I cleaned up and split for you. You'll need to print the lower section upside down.

Attachments

• SCUD Bottom.stl
    392.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Scud Top.stl
    431.3 KB · Views: 0
What slicer are you using? You should be able to cut it with the slicer. However, here is another version I cleaned up and split for you. You'll need to print the lower section upside down.
Sorry, should have been more specific. I can cut it in half with my slicer (it then generates a flat surface as the cut edge. What I am trying to figure out how to do is add tabs that allow you to glue them together with more strength (I have an openscad nosecone generator I usually use that allows you to specify printer dimension limitations and then generates pieces with tabs). For something like this though I could just manually glue some scraps across, or use what my slicer generates (which would be 2 flat surfaces the diameter of the nosecone). For low power that should work. The nosecone is awesome, thanks!

Since space modeling has a scan of the fins I can just input that into Cricut and use my machine to score some balsa and finish with a knife. Looks like this is coming together. Thank you again!

Sorry, should have been more specific. I can cut it in half with my slicer (it then generates a flat surface as the cut edge. What I am trying to figure out how to do is add tabs that allow you to glue them together with more strength (I have an openscad nosecone generator I usually use that allows you to specify printer dimension limitations and then generates pieces with tabs). For something like this though I could just manually glue some scraps across, or use what my slicer generates (which would be 2 flat surfaces the diameter of the nosecone). For low power that should work. The nosecone is awesome, thanks!

Since space modeling has a scan of the fins I can just input that into Cricut and use my machine to score some balsa and finish with a knife. Looks like this is coming together. Thank you again!
Look closer...there is a lip built into the upper half...

D’oh. That’s what I get for just previewing it. Will print this asap then. You are truly awesome!
There is likely to be some adjustments that need to be made. I'm not sure how the grooves and panel lines will look when printed. Let me know what needs to be done and I can fix it up pretty quickly. Also check the slip fit of the nose cone to the BT...it might be tight...or loose.

There is likely to be some adjustments that need to be made. I'm not sure how the grooves and panel lines will look when printed. Let me know what needs to be done and I can fix it up pretty quickly. Also check the slip fit of the nose cone to the BT...it might be tight...or loose.
So I got the bottom portion printed (wanted to make sure it was workable). Tiny bit loose on estes BT 60 tube (but honestly will just paint it with some epoxy or high fill primer + some tape as needed). The panel lines didn't really print. Maybe it's a resolution issue - 0.2 layer and a 0.6 nozzle. The groove lines printed fine. Will print the top portion tomorrow but honestly this model is great!

So not the best pic but printed the rest and it came out nicely. Needs a little sanding and a couple spots of filler (I forgot to slow the print near the tip). Whatever of the panels didn’t come out will just be dealt with using decals. Love the cricut that my wife never uses. Oh and it glued together fine. Could have made ABS slurry glue but I was lazy and used CA and it seems more than sturdy. Turns out 2 wraps of tape was all it needed to fit the bt60. Awesome model, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
So not the best pic but printed the rest and it came out nicely. Needs a little sanding and a couple spots of filler (I forgot to slow the print near the tip). Whatever of the panels didn’t come out will just be dealt with using decals. Love the cricut that my wife never uses. Oh and it glued together fine. Could have made ABS slurry glue but I was lazy and used CA and it seems more than sturdy. Turns out 2 wraps of tape was all it needed to fit the bt60. Awesome model, thank you!

Tape is a common need to adapt for shrinkage.

Tape is a common need to adapt for shrinkage.
Of course, and this was ABS so possibly more shrinkage. What I was trying to convey there was how spot on Bravo52's model is. I initially thought it was looser, but I guess I was bad at estimating on a small nosecone like this. Would always rather wrap a little tape than try and sand down a nosecone shoulder that's too big.

I changed a few things on the lower portion of the NC that might make it easier to print. I increased the size of the detail and made both raised and recessed versions.

Attachments

• SCUD NC Lower V3.stl
    371.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SCUD NC Lower V2.stl
    370.7 KB · Views: 0
Haven’t had a chance to try the updated version. May do that with a version 2. Still like the nosecone and how it looks (has some interest not just being smooth). I just recreated the Estes model for the fins and then did some detail and paint work based on another thread of a 4 inch model on here. Kept it simple (there are decals available to recreate the Estes version but it’s quite busy). Just needs some matte clear coat now. I put a 24 mm motor mount in too so I have more options. Hope I can launch this weekend. IMG_3960.jpeg

Back