HarGoon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Lindsey

Reaction score
Here's my HarGoon so far. It's sort of a "Goony" kitbash of a harpoon kit into a 2 stager. I haven't added the ring fins yet, but here's a pic of what the original concept was...

hargoon_1.jpg

That's both stages together, here they are apart

hargoon_4.jpg

The only problem is that when you don't slide the booster onto the sustainer straight, it can bind. I like the "looks like a single fin" aspect, but I really don't want to see the booster get stuck, and catch fire, taking the whole thing down in flames.

Here are a few pictures in "attack position" which should make for a much safer separation, if not such a fun profile.

hargoon_2.jpg

hargoon_3.jpg

Thankfully I think it looks pretty cool that way too :).

I'm debating whether to even add the ring-fins, but more drag is a Good Thing(tm) since I really want B6-0 booster motors, but will probably end up using C6-0 since that's what they still make. I'd like to get this back!

It'll need gobs of noseweight, I haven't attached the nosecone to the shock cord yet (standard quest kevlar/elastic shock cord).

I like the laser cut fins, but the tube was a little on the flimsy side compared to estes (particularly the motor tube) and there are huge seams in the body tube. On the plus side, I need 2 more centering rings for the booster, and Quest is sending them to me for free! (I bought a baby bertha to use the motor mount from it, but belated discovered this isn't a BT-60!).

Hope you enjoy the pics! I'll post more when it gets some paint and/or ring fins, but don't count on them any time soon... not alot of time and I'm also building a moon rocket (and planning a 4" phoenix! Eeek! One thing at a time!).

Building is more fun than painting, but it's gotta get done eventually!

-Rick

P.S. If any of you rocksimites are truly bored, it might be nice to have some vague idea of the amount of noseweight this badboy is going to require. I'm thinking C6-0 and A8-xxx? for it's normal motor configuration.

On a building binge, eh? This one looks REALLY neat. You'll find a couple of things aboiut Quest - their body tubes are indeed different (they're metric-sized), and their customer service is PHENOMENAL.

Originally posted by Rick Lindsey
If any of you rocksimites are truly bored, it might be nice to have some vague idea of the amount of noseweight this badboy is going to require. I'm thinking C6-0 and A8-xxx? for it's normal motor configuration.

Based on measurements estimated from your photo, I created the attached RockSim file. It shows that you need about .3 oz in the nose cone. Of course, you should swing test it before you fly it.

With a C6-0 booster, you will probably find that the delay on an A8-3 is too short. Even an A6-4 will probably be too short. RockSim predicts about 800 feet on C6-0/A6-4 and 1500 feet on C60/C6-7.

An A8-5 would have perfect delay, at an altitude of 855 feet.

I didn't include it in my model because I didn't realize they were still in production. I just found several on-line suppliers who sell them, but I have never actually seen one in real life.

I guess I need to get out of my basement more often, huh?

Y'know - to be a REAL goonie, you shoulda put a 13mm mount in both. You could then fly it off the A10-0/A10-3 combo. ;)

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Y'know - to be a REAL goonie, you shoulda put a 13mm mount in both. You could then fly it off the A10-0/A10-3 combo. ;)

Greg

Not at my local launch I couldn't :(. As far as I know, the A10-0 is no longer certified (which is truly a bummer for small 2-stage rockets).

If A10-0's were certified then I'd have to make an adapter for the bottom stage :).

-Rick

Back