Hangar 11 proline no glue. any reviews???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoehahn

Reaction score
Im interested in these, im wondering if anyone has pictures or has seen one, i mean 100+ for a kit i would like to see pics before i buy one.

I have never built one, but have seen them fly successfully on J motors. It's a very interesting product, I'll probably have one before long...

Braden

I have one. The fins have survived 3 crashes. It is in my rebuild pile. 2 lawn darts and a side landing. Each time the chute failed to come out of the tube.

My friend Marc Hight built one 4" diameter with the 29mm motor mount and certified L1 with it this month at Battle Park. It really does just screw together. The fins and centering rings are laser cut plywood and fit together very well. Tabs on the fins fit into slots in the CRs, and bolts hold everything tight. You could literally completely dismantle the rocket if it ever needed repair. The BT is PML phenolic, pre-slotted. Note that there is no motor tube--the motor just slides into holes in the centering rings. To accommodate a standard CTI ejection charge, Marc cut the BT and added a bulkhead to make the chute bay smaller. Part of the fin/CR assembly is a very long coupler, so no additional coupler was needed to break the rocket in the middle. Other than that, it went together as in the instructions. You can see video and stills of it in flight at the HOVAR website, in particular the L1 flight: https://cavemanchemistry.com/hovarwp/?p=424 If you use the search box, you can find other pictures and videos. Search for "Koer".

There were a couple of snafus with the shipping. Bobby reported that it had shipped a couple of times but nothing arrived. After 6 weeks it arrived in 2 packages (fins and hardware in one, tubing and nose cone in the other), in good shape and as described.

Marc is pleased with it, his first and so far only HP rocket. I would like to get one for myself.

IlusKoerH163Launch.jpg

Last edited:
I have one. The fins have survived 3 crashes. It is in my rebuild pile. 2 lawn darts and a side landing. Each time the chute failed to come out of the tube.

This is why Marc cut the BT so the rocket would break in the middle. The full length of the 4" body tube just seemed like a lot of volume to pressurize with a 1g ejection charge.

looks great, what model was that? :rolleyes: i want one now

I was in on the ordering of it. Though there were various models listed on the website, Bobby just asked what diameter, length, motor mount, and fin style we wanted (Marc got 3 Nike Smoke fins). I had the impression that there were no complete kits in stock and that Bobby would make it up to the requested specs. I believe that the hardware came directly from him and the BT and cone were drop shipped from PML. You can get CRs for 3 or 4 fins. Apparently, there are different styles of fins available, but no pictures. The ones that came had the name of the fin style laser cut into the wood. I would love to see what styles are available. You can also get "blank" fins that you can cut to your own shape. I would not hesitate to recommend it except for the shipping problem--it took several email exchanges to inform Bobby that it had not arrived. I would be interested to know if cwbullet had any such problems.

Looking back at the website, the closest model is Galahad, though the fin shape is different.

Last edited:
They are simple to assemble and launch, and are a very clever design.

I purchased one 4FNC 4" version at NERRF-3 and got my L1 with it. The unique laser cut fincan assembly has 2 fins and 3 or 4 interlocking fins, and has positive motor retention and a strong place to secure you shock cord.

The only negative in my opinion is that it uses a phenolic airframe instead of a fiberboard airframe. While phenolic is slightly stronger and stiffer, it is brittle and prone to cracking at the aft end of the fin slot on a hard surface landing. This does not effect flyability, but I would suggest a very light band of fiberglass to reenforce this area.

The chute and shock cord was not included when I bought mine. A 1/2" nylon or kevlar shock cord is all you need, and I would recommend a 48" lightweight chute.

I'd certainly recommend it for someone how doesn't have the time to built a rocket the conventional way.

Bob

Last edited:
I will post pics. Mine is permanent now due to multiple repairs

I have one and have flown it many times. Here are my recommendations:

1) Glass the phenolic tube. It is too brittle otherwise. My tube was damaged when it fell while leaning against the wall but now that it is fiberglassed, I have had many successful launches.
2) Trace the fin pattern before you fly. This way if a fin gets damaged you can cut another out of 1/4 birch plywood and fly again (I carry several spares just in case).
3) Attach a 9 inch nylon parachute directly to the nosecone. This provides enough drag to pull out the main (usually a 58 inch Top Flight) if it is not ejected immediately.
4) My personal preference is stainless steel hardware so I have replaced as much as I could with stainless.

I love the idea, but phenolic? I am done with that stuff to be honest... Aluminum and fiberglass and then you have my attention :)

Back