Half-Pipe—— Horizontal Spin Using Coupler Material

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It may have been five or ten years ago that, if I recall right which is far from certain, Uncle Mike’s Rocket Shack or SOMEBODY was selling green heavy duty BT-20 tubes, basically made of coupler material although they didn’t fit anything. Anyway, they were cheap, not much more than regular BT-20s, so I got some although in the following years I haven’t had any designs that I thought required any more than usual body tube strength, so they went unused.

@Dotini has been working hard and documenting well his experience with Horizontal Spin. Biggest challenge seems to be durability of the fins on earth impact, combination of the vertical kinetic energy but I think dominantly the ROTATIONAL kinetic energy.

i think his plastic fins are likely one of the best solutions, I think I bought the wrong plastic for mine. I have had success with doubles up body tube using the standard six tube approach.

just finished the Azimuth and the most disappointing thing in the build was the “post cutting”. The external fillets are pretty much worthless.

image.jpg
so gonna do heavy duty internal fillets on the pairs before attachment.

putting motors inside the tubes to keep the rubber bands from deforming them.

What's going on here? Looks like an alien trapped under the build table.

View attachment 538419

thats The cap of an old hobby knife (worked with exacto blades but it sure it was an Exacto brand.). I drilled a hole in my work table and embedded the cap in the side. Then it would always put the knife back in the cap in the same place. Had that knife for years, finally lost it.

Latest posts

Back