Had a cold but fun launch day! Lots of maiden Voyages!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDJ

Semi-retired Rocketry guy
Reaction score
Winds were calm up here, not too cold but cool and moist, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

Maiden launches and results:

1) Quest "Magnum Sport Loader Refit" (modified 2-stage D12/E9 powered with longer bodytube)

4 Perfect launches, perfect stage separation, all successful deployments and recovery. Parachutes were not fully opening due to cooler conditions, but rocket was not damaged (backup Canada Flag / streamer was sufficient).

2) Estes "Vagabond" (rerigged for 2 stage D12/E9 flight)

1 launch. Liftoff perfect. Failed separation, booster caught on the main engine retainer hook, held, and forced rocket to curl over and hit the ground at full speed (hit about 3 seconds after burnout) on a frozen gravel road. Booster totally destroyed. Rocket totally destroyed. Destroyed payload (Sonic Locator). Might be a motor mount left. Recovered Canada Flag / streamer for reuse.

3) Replica Cardstock rocket (copy of Quest "Big Betty". Modified for C6-0/C6-5 flight)

4 launches. First launch failed due to greater mass than anticipated (Bodytube thicker and heavier than normal tube). C6-0 engine failed to clear launchpad. Rocket spun and hit the ground at low speed. Minor damage to fins, front of bodytube.

Launches #2 to #4 were flown as single stage. Apogee was lower than simulated, but all were successful flights and recovery.

4) Cardstock Rocket "The Pencil" (13mm bodytube A3-4T engine)

1 launch. Perfect liftoff, but CATO midflight (crack in the blackpowder?). Nothing recovered. Bits and pieces everywhere.

5) Scratch built rocket codenamed "Teardrop" (made from Shampoo bottles, BT-60 tube, custom open skeleton fins, 3 cluster C6 engines)

2 flights. First one perfect. 3 C's really haul butt fast! Second flight failed due to one engine firing, #2 and #3 did not. Rocket did clear launchpad, but hovered and fell to the ground. No damage. Totally flyable.

Repeat flights

1) Estes "Nova Payloader"

2 launches. 2 recoveries. Damaged Shockcord due to thread disintergration. Will replace with 20lb. Steel fishing leader. End of problem.

2) Genevieve's original rocket V2.0

1 launch. Perfect flight. New leader line shock cord worked perfectly. Recovered and flyable.

3) Genevieve's "Shiny Shooter 2"

2 launches. 2 recoveries. Parachute failed to open fully due to cold, but backup streamers were just sufficient.

4) Estes "ATW" mini-rocket.

1 launch. perfect flight. No issues.

All-in-all a good day. Very happy about the Magnum. The upgraded engines with the booster work EXTREMELY well. Very sad about the Vagabond, but that's probably something I overlooked when I put it all together before launch, probably forgot to double-check something.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a busy day! And a great day of flying. No calm days should ever be overlooked, no matter how wierd your kids think you are...:rolleyes:

Well, the Vagabond may fly again! I had a real good hard look at it, and it needs a front body tube, nosecone, and a set of fins. The lower tube/engine mount is unscathed other than very scratched up paint. So the news isn't quite as bad as originally posted.

Everything deserves a second chance, right? ;)

Well, the Vagabond may fly again! I had a real good hard look at it, and it needs a front body tube, nosecone, and a set of fins. The lower tube/engine mount is unscathed other than very scratched up paint. So the news isn't quite as bad as originally posted.

Everything deserves a second chance, right? ;)

Where will you source the nose cone?

Good job :) i'm glad you had fun.
Cheers
fred

Thanks Fred! Kids have alot of fun chasing the rockets and running to catch them. Now I gotta get them to stop tackling them! :D

Where will you source the nose cone?

That could be a tougher mission. I may have to compromise and get the standard NC-60 long nosecone from the Estes parts, which is a shorter nose. Plus side to that is that it would have slightly less drag, less weight, and higher speed/altitude. But I will contact Estes and see if I can purchase the original one from them. If all else fails, I could lathe a hardwood one and hollow it out to knock down the weight.

That could be a tougher mission. I may have to compromise and get the standard NC-60 long nosecone from the Estes parts, which is a shorter nose. Plus side to that is that it would have slightly less drag, less weight, and higher speed/altitude. But I will contact Estes and see if I can purchase the original one from them. If all else fails, I could lathe a hardwood one and hollow it out to knock down the weight.

I'm very fond of the nosecone that comes with the Vagabond. I really wish Estes would sell all their cones, not just the few that come in their assortment bags and the like. While BMS, SEMROC and the like make a dizzying array of balsa cones (and they do a beautiful job), I'm a fan of plastic cones.

I don't have a lathe or the skill to use one (yet)... so turning them is out for me. Meanwhile, I've bought a second VAgabond, holding it in reserve just for the cone... :)

I'm very fond of the nosecone that comes with the Vagabond. I really wish Estes would sell all their cones, not just the few that come in their assortment bags and the like. While BMS, SEMROC and the like make a dizzying array of balsa cones (and they do a beautiful job), I'm a fan of plastic cones.

I don't have a lathe or the skill to use one (yet)... so turning them is out for me. Meanwhile, I've bought a second VAgabond, holding it in reserve just for the cone... :)

I may have to do the same. The kit isn't expensive ($19 CDN) but it's just annoying that I have to buy whole kits just for a few parts. Alot of stuff just collects dust this way.

I contacted Estes directly on this, and I'm awaiting an answer. I offered to buy 3 of them, just so it's more worth their while.

If this route fails, I'll try to source out the closest match from another manufacturer.

Let us know what response you get!

I certainly will!

Isn't that just a BT-60..hobbylinc should have it..just guessing

You are quite correct on the tube. It is indeed BT-60, but the nose cone is not a off-the-shelf style. It's a rather long olgive shape that's not included in the bulk parts packs of nose cones.

I'm just glad I used Epoxy Appliance paint for this thing. What tubes and parts of the tube that weren't grated away by the gravel road look pretty good still, save for the fin that was sheared and shaved down to the nub. :p

Last edited:
I'm afraid I didn't get any pics of the wreckage. Sorry about that.
I promise if the Magnum Sport Loader goes toes-up (perish the thought), I'll take some HD ones. :p :D

They responded!

We no longer have access to raw parts as they are stored in China, we will be sending a replacement kit as a one time accommodation.

I sent a reply, thanking them for their gracious gift!

Hmmm........thinking I should build a GDJ variant of the Vagabond with the spare parts.......thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Nevermind. Semroc has one:

https://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=721

It's so close it's not funny.

That's the one! True it's Balsa instead of plastic, but under paint who can tell?

Of course, for the cost of the nose cone ($10.95) you could just about get a whole kit from Hobby Lobby if you have a coupon (and if you have access to a Hobby Lobby), and you would be getting a good stock of BT-60 plus a 24 mm mount and such.

Still, Estes customer service rocks.

Marc

That's the one! True it's Balsa instead of plastic, but under paint who can tell?

Quite true on the balsa/plastic. Not a major issue.

Altho' the one from AB Supplies is a pretty decent replacement, altho' a bit shorter. It's still considerably longer than the usual NC-60a cone that you get with the bag of nosecones off the shelf. Also the price is very attractive.

Back