GPS help!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawaad211

Reaction score
Hello fellow rocket enthusiasts
Lately every-time I fly a rocket I end up having to look for it, or just end up losing it.
So for this new rocket me and my friends are building, we decided to put a GPS in it. However, I can't seem to find a reliable Altimeter/GPS.
So I was wondering if anybody knew of a good altimeter/GPS that's reliable yet affordable???

The only altimeter/GPS combos I know of right now are the TeleMetrum and ARTS GPS. Outside of that you will need a separate altimeter and GPS module. Beeline GPS is excellent. I have their 900hz GPS (the BRB 900) and it works great. I don't know what altitudes your going to, but it is good for 6 miles out of the box and no HAM license is required.

Phil

I thought the OP was asking about reception range with the BRB900, which is supposedly 6 miles.

Make sure to put it in a radio-transparent avionics bay: no carbon fiber.

The BRB 900 will work to 17,000ft no problem. I second CarVac's post about making sure it is in a radio-transparent place. I typically wrap mine in some bubble wrap and put it in a fibeglass nose cone. Then there is simply a bulkplate on the back to hold everything in. I have also started to fly with a radio frequency transmitter alongside the BRB 900. You can sometimes lose GPS lock, but an RF beacon will always send out a ping. Just adds redundancy to the system.

Phil

Back