got back to some work today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
I got back to doing some work on openrocket today
Got to add the 3 "Blade" antennas to the payload section and the angle of attack sensor
to the tip of the nosecone

As soon as I get everything done I will post the updates on my openrocket plans page

Here is some eye candy :ghosty:

diagram.jpg

What became of the "what I did rocket-wise today?" I looked back a few pages and didn't see it.

I did some not very exciting spiral filling (not as cool as open rocket), but it was rocket work, finally.

I got the "Blade" antenna installed today. Believe it or not I downloaded a photo of a flat toothpick
then outlined the shape in black and filled the inside of the shape solid black. Then while I was editing the
image with Gimp I rotated the image to match the angle of the real "Blade" antenna then imported the resulting
image into the fin part of OpenRocket and used the image to give the shape of the fin aka the Blade Antenna .
That way it will allow me to attach the antenna to the outside of the models airframe .
Here is how the results look .
with antenna.jpg

Now the angle of attack sensor on the tip of the nosecone is gonna be a pain to install as you cant place 1 conical nosecone
ahead of a second conical nosecone and move the top nosecone which will represent the angle of attack sensor up and down by small amounts .
You and only swap the nosecones with each other

Here is how the angle of attack sensor looks on the real Black Brant

sensor.jpg

I got the "Blade" antenna installed today. Believe it or not I downloaded a photo of a flat toothpick
then outlined the shape in black and filled the inside of the shape solid black. Then while I was editing the
image with Gimp I rotated the image to match the angle of the real "Blade" antenna then imported the resulting
image into the fin part of OpenRocket and used the image to give the shape of the fin aka the Blade Antenna .
That way it will allow me to attach the antenna to the outside of the models airframe .
Here is how the results look

Here is how the angle of attack sensor looks on the real Black Brant

View attachment 630430
well you got pretty good with the open rocket program. I just wish you lived next door to me.

@Hobie1dog

I am just scratching the surface of open rocket and most of the up scaling models I do is
fairly easy . The sims of the "open rocket Masters" I have had the pleasure of drooling over lets me
know I have come a short way but there is a longer way ahead of me before I get that good but having fun in the
learning process is what keeps me going :)

I to am worried about breakage and the parachute getting tangled in the antenna.
I will probably look into using a spring instead and cover the spring with heat shrink tubing.
And with the angle of attack sensor I may use a metal part that screws into the tip of the nosecone

And with the angle of attack sensor I may use a metal part that screws into the tip of the nosecone
i will wait around for the group to bash you on the idea of having something like that which could come down and go through somebody's head. (as they usually do) :p

Latest posts

Back