Good day, eh!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuse Eh!

Reaction score
I’ve been lurking around on the forum for a few weeks now, so it’s probably time I said a formal Canuckian hello.

As a homeschooling dad I’ve got a special interest in beginner level rocketry, and have been considering the possibility of doing one or more group projects next year to commemorate the War of 1812. A recent article by journalist Ray Spiteri in the Niagara Falls Review caught my eye, as it poses an interesting question for those of us living on the north side of what was once the world’s longest undefended border:
“It's a fine balance. Next year, Canada will commemorate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 — a three-year war that sent the invading Americans retreating home on the losing side of history. So will Canadians, known for their quiet patriotism, celebrate that victory with respect for our now closest ally and most valuable trading partner? Or, will it turn into a scene of chauvinistic triumphalism, a trait sometimes fairly or unfairly attributed to Canada's neighbours to the south? ...”​

So, how best to mark the occasion in such a way that will be both respectful and celebratory, and in a manner that will also capture the interest and attention of homeschool children and youth? I must confess that the very first thing that came to mind was a mud wrestling match between two costumed re-enactors playing the parts of America’s sweetheart Dolley Madison and Canada’s very own Laura Secord. Considering what I do for a living though (a peek at my personal profile may offer a hint), that was a somewhat disturbing image, so it was back to the drawing board. After some further cogitation I soon hit on two other possibilities that I think might have a bit more merit.

The first alternative has to do with the march on Washington by British forces (our colonial masters then, now and always it seems) which actually took place in 1814 and resulted in the burning of the White House and the Capitol. As a kid, one of my favourite family fireworks was a small incendiary fountain housed in a cardboard mock-up of an old school building, sold as “The Burning Schoolhouse”. When the fuse at the top of the schoolhouse “chimney” was lit, the fountain would spew forth an impressive display of smoke, flames and sparks which would also guarantee that the faux schoolhouse itself would soon be totally engulfed in flames. Whether ignited on Victoria Day or Canada Day it was always a highlight for us school aged kids, so I hit upon the idea of cloning that particular pyrotechnic but substituting a cardstock shell of the White House to replace the schoolhouse. I found a perfectly proportioned cardstock cutout of the White House online that would be ideal for the project and I’ll simply cover the “chimney” fountain with a red, white and blue decorative wrap to tie it all together. I personally think it’s a great idea; but I am somewhat troubled that my own 14 year old pyro’s reaction when I sketched the idea out to him was “Really dad? Do you think that’s wise? Really?” :shock:

The second alternative has to do with the shelling of Fort McHenry at Baltimore, which also took place in 1814. So fierce was the conflict and so awe inspiring was the sustained aerial bombardment the British unleashed on the fort that dark September night that a lawyer named Francis Scott Key wrote a poem which included the memorable lines “And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there...” You can see where I’m going with this, right? Yes, by George, I’m thinking of having the students build their very own semi-scale Congreve rockets!

All in all, it should be a lot of fun. Respectful, celebratory and above all clean fun! And who knows, maybe we’ll even serve Laura Secord ice cream as a treat!

Your thoughts, anyone?

BTW, it occured to me that a Congreve might make for a really, really nice commemorative rocket kit for an upcoming NARCON, say NARCON 2012 or perhaps NARCON 2014. Just a suggestion. :wink:

Back