Gluing Polyethylene plastics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
I just purchased a Loc Syonic which has a polyethlene boat tail cone. I want a good bond between the plywood fins and the tail cone. Most Epoxy glues are not recommended for this type of plastic. Could someone help me with something local that will get the job done so my fillers don't crack???

I would fillet the outside with a long-cure epoxy, like Aeropoxy, and then fill the inside of the fin can with 2-part expanding foam. Drilling holes in the fin tabs will allow the foam to pass between the fins and mechanically lock them into place, making for an even stronger bond.

HTH.

Based on what I see, maybe I should lay down some JB maybe on the plastic to give the Epoxy fillers a surface to attach too, maybe even drilling some small holes in the plastic near the fin to act like rivets for the glue from both inside and out side the tail cone. Then drill some holes in the fins and use the expandable 2 part foam to fill the tail cone too as recommended. What do you all think??? Also, can I get this foam locally or must I mail order it???

I have heard that some big name hardware stores carry 2-part foam, but none around me. Marine supply places probably do. You can get 2 part foam from Giant Leap and PML, among others.

Back