Gluing centering rings - super glue or Titbond

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
Looking at a big Loc kit. 7.xxx size.

Wanting to keep it light but strong when building.

For the centering rings. Super glue or use titebond

I think it might be reasonable to say never superglue for centering rings, although I gather that once the TTW fins are attached the centering rings actually don't do very much.

So yeah, Titebond. :)

Titebond, assuming ply CRs and cardboard tube. The material strength of wood glue is stronger than the materials it bonds. So even though the instructions with my LOC kits specify epoxy, no advantage to be gained by using it over Titebond. There was a thread on this a few weeks/months ago. Wish I had known this earlier. Live and learn.

For the centering rings. Super glue or use titebond

Titebond - if you dare!

Titebond is a fantastic structural glue, but it tends to "grab" the joint and get set, which can happen earlier than you were expecting or desiring.
For that reason, I use Titebond everywhere on paper/cardboard/wood components, EXCEPT the centering rings - because I want to glide those in place, and adjust, as necessary.

Titebond does not allow that.
Epoxy does, and produces an equally strong bond.

YMMV,
a

there is an advantage to using epoxy vs. titebond when gluing things to body tubes (tube fins, long sections of wings) in that titebond will tend to shrink and distort the tube while the epoxy will not. however given the op's question, titebond.
Rex

Titebond - if you dare!

Titebond is a fantastic structural glue, but it tends to "grab" the joint and get set, which can happen earlier than you were expecting or desiring.
For that reason, I use Titebond everywhere on paper/cardboard/wood components, EXCEPT the centering rings - because I want to glide those in place, and adjust, as necessary.

Titebond does not allow that.
Epoxy does, and produces an equally strong bond.

YMMV,
a

Very true. Titebond definitely can set a motor mount assembly almost as fast as CA. On larger stuff I would definitely use epoxy for the time factor.

You can mitigate the problem of wood glue setting too soon by placing a bead where it's needed; however, this can be very difficult, sometimes impossible depending on the assembly. Plan and dry-fit will ensure success.

Back