GLR T-Bolt Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch... sorry to disappoint you Alex. That was light gray primer (the little Canon PaS camera is not the best). This is where I was heading...

2013-05-25-T-Bolt-0001.jpg 2013-05-25-T-Bolt-0002.jpg

Great build

I have been watching this thread since you started it. Mainly because I almost ordered one of these last year. However now I am glad I did not. You are a better man than I, as those holes being out of line is just not on. Did you ever contact GLR about the poor QC on that fin can?

Chris

Now that I get a closer look at it, they are not lined up straight.

Great build

I have been watching this thread since you started it. Mainly because I almost ordered one of these last year. However now I am glad I did not. You are a better man than I, as those holes being out of line is just not on. Did you ever contact GLR about the poor QC on that fin can?

Chris

I would mainly ignore these since they give the T-Bolt a look that is different than any other rocket. I am sure it would require precise cutting to get those holes straight. I would not concern Giant Leap about unaligned holes. If you don't like those holes just fill them up with a thick substance or just ask Giant Leap if you can order one without the holes on the fin can. I would recommend this rocket for anyone wanting an easy to build rocket that can do great performance.

Thanks all for the comments. I just am not the type of person to worry about the holes lining up unless there was a functional aspect to it. Each to their own however!

I think the biggest problem I have with the T-Bolt right now is altitude. The darn thing sims to ridiculous altitudes even with a lousy full 160ns G. A 159-G118 sims to 3000 feet! Insane. And it's not dual deploy. I may yet have to rectify that.

I think the biggest issue is I'd like to get a Mariah and they are never in stock. :( and :)

Thanks all for the comments. I just am not the type of person to worry about the holes lining up unless there was a functional aspect to it. Each to their own however!

I think the biggest problem I have with the T-Bolt right now is altitude. The darn thing sims to ridiculous altitudes even with a lousy full 160ns G. A 159-G118 sims to 3000 feet! Insane. And it's not dual deploy. I may yet have to rectify that.

I think the biggest issue is I'd like to get a Mariah and they are never in stock. :( and :)

I still have my Mariah 38 and it will reach an altitude of 3,000+ on a perfect day on a G motor.

The reason that I did not get a T-Bolt is that it will go up too high for me in single deploy. I have a hard time chasing my LOC IV around if I crank it up in single deploy. I had no problem purchasing a Mariah 38. Enjoy your T-Bolt. it is a nice rocket.

Chris

The reason that I did not get a T-Bolt is that it will go up too high for me in single deploy. I have a hard time chasing my LOC IV around if I crank it up in single deploy. I had no problem purchasing a Mariah 38. Enjoy your T-Bolt. it is a nice rocket.

Chris

If you were to read all the specifications on Giant Leap's webpage they say something about adding two Kevlar cords for dual deployment. I am going to assume they have a dual deployment version. I believe they did this for the high altitude flights. Also with the quick links its real easy to switch from single to dual deployment anytime.

Well all we need is a clear coat.

Hope to maiden the rocket at ROC-Stock next weekend. Probably no more than a full G (like a 159G118 Blue Streak). Maybe start slow with a G53FJ. Or an 166H90 Classic.

Not sure when or if it'll ever see a 38mm reload unless someone with a lot better eyes watches it for me!
2013-06-02-T-Bolt-0002.jpg

Well all we need is a clear coat.

Hope to maiden the rocket at ROC-Stock next weekend. Probably no more than a full G (like a 159G118 Blue Streak). Maybe start slow with a G53FJ. Or an 166H90 Classic.

Not sure when or if it'll ever see a 38mm reload unless someone with a lot better eyes watches it for me!
View attachment 131978

Digging the red and yellow. Have fun flying it :).

It looks like it's asking for that Loki K760 red, if that ever a) makes it to market in K form and b) becomes cert'd in California.

Got 24" of room up in there?

It looks like it's asking for that Loki K760 red, if that ever a) makes it to market in K form and b) becomes cert'd in California.

Got 24" of room up in there?

Man I would let it rip if that motor becomes certified.

Tape (electrical) a CSI transmitter ($100 from CSI, $130 from Jack at Whats Up Hobbies) to the shock cord. Borrow the receiver from Jack. Then send it up!

Awesome build thread! Thanks for sharing the build and launch with us.

I noticed that the Doppler Shift isn't on their site anymore. Hopefully they are working up a new revision of it but I suspect it's a goner! I am glad that you shared this build as I was on the fence about this rocket. I'll be honest that there are a few things on this "engineered" rocket kit that left me a little disappointed but then again maybe my expectations of GLR is too high. I expect a well-engineered kit that is thought out down to the last detail. There were a few details that I would have not expected to be rough around the edges on that your build highlighted.

Still, GLR has some cool stuff. Maybe I'll order one a Doppler if they ever get back in stock or if they have another offering that is more my speed.

Back