Getting permission to use a field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, I seem to have threadjacked an interesting and informative thread. OP please accept my apologies. We now return to our scheduled programming.

For the record, the club I fly with at a bunch of fields does have written permission to use the space, such that we don't interrupt the soccer going on in adjacent fields.

Soccer seems to be one of the prime offenders of stealing perfectly good grass areas and making them off limits to rocketry and other uses.

Delete the part about clubs in the area. The landowner could care less why it's inconvenient to do your hobby in established locations.
What you need is why it might be good for you to be there - maybe a presence so that vandalism is avoided. Maybe you have other ways that your being there would benefit him.
As stated in Dale Carnigie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" no business owner cares one whit about what you may get, but is interested in how partnering with you could be beneficial to them.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic...

If that social aspect appeals to you, then go for it. Personally, I like to get in, do my own thing, and get out of the park fairly quickly.

I'm with you. Maybe a friend or two who might be interested/curious but mostly just me, in a field, outside/fresh air, geeking out for a little bit. Launch a few rockets, go home. I used to launch during lunch breaks.

Soccer seems to be one of the prime offenders of stealing perfectly good grass areas and making them off limits to rocketry and other uses.

As a parent whose kids played many years of soccer in rec leagues, club teams, and at the high school varsity level, I totally agree with you!

Get rid of the "to whom it may concern". There are many aps out there that will tell you the owner of the land and show property lines. I think it will much more forth coming if you address the owner by name instead of "Hey you".
Also from your statement, it sounds as if you were trespassing the first time. I would also remove that from the letter. Don't trespass.
Good luck.
And Google research the person.

I use onX Hunt. It has a 7 day free trial.

It only takes 2 people to form a NAR Section. And you get site insurance. A really good talking point.

Good Luck. Let us know how it works out.

Back