Getting back into rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome!

I want to do the same thing. I have one unassembled Aspire and I am looking at either the Apogee Zephyr Jr. or the Aerotech Mustang for a second midpower kit to build competence and confidence, while I learn.

I hope you have as much as I am.
Find a group meet in your area. We went to our first one yesterday, and I learned alot!

Glad you are here!
Steve

Welcome!

I want to do the same thing. I have one unassembled Aspire and I am looking at either the Apogee Zephyr Jr. or the Aerotech Mustang for a second mid power kit to build competence and confidence, while I learn.

I hope you have as much as I am.
Find a group meet in your area. We went to our first one yesterday, and I learned alot!

Glad you are here!
Steve
That's very interesting. I am going to build the Apogee Aspire, and I am looking at the Apogee Zephyr for my level 1 cert and a Zephyr JR. for some additional mid power. I am also looking at some day building a level 1 Super Neon XL that was an Estes kit, I think it would be a cool level 1 rocket project. My current focus is getting some small estes rockets probably the mosquito so my grandson can build one to fly.

Welcome back to the party RimshotRed. In my experience, tiny models like the Mosquito are actually harder for newbies (and not so newbies). Hard to build, hard to see in the air and on the ground. If your grandson is ready for some assembly with glue, paint and decals I'd go with something with a 1 inch diameter or bigger airframe. An Alpha, Big Bertha, Baby Bertha, or Patriot. Some almost ready to fly models like the Athena or Alpha III would work as well. If you have a Hobby Lobby near you they should have a nice selection at good prices. A good mail order outfit is https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-model-rockets. No really wrong way to go but that's just my $.02 opinion. :)

[edit] Just read what I wrote. "Mail order" kinda dates me I guess. Now get off my lawn! ;)

The apogee Apprentice is a outstanding build for kids. My daughter Miah built one and we flew it yesterday. Flew great, recovered great, and just a good looking straight forward experience building kit.
The Avion from Apogee and the original Alpha from Estes are just fun to build and add balsa fins to the job. We flew them both yesterday as well. The Alpha found the water, but the Avion just went and went. Man thats a good flying rocket.
I hope you have a blast with your little ones. Mine are crazy about it.

Back