Getting back into rocketry - Estes Tandem X kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btb103

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to introduce myself so if I'm wrong, please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

As a kid, I built a few rockets in Cub Scouts and with my dad. Now I have some extra time on my hands and decided to pick up the hobby again. I went out and got the Estes Tandem X set last week and built up the Amazon for my first launch. It was a cinch to put together and I had a good time launching it this past weekend in PERFECT no wind conditions. This week I'm building up the Crossfire ISX and am planning to pick up another rocket kit this weekend.

I've been browsing around the forums and am astounded by the care and techniques that are put into builds around here. I certainly have a long way to go... My Crossfire build is pretty messy but I hope to improve on my next project.

Here are a few photos of the Amazon build and also a little video I made from the launch.

IMG_20120909_164518.jpgIMG_20120909_165003.jpgIMG_1954_resized.jpg

[video=youtube;BZRu-glTZHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZRu-glTZHQ[/video]

Last edited:
Nice video and welcome back as you are now an official BAR!!!

For the video click the video Icon, delete the htttp crap and paste the link.

Welcome from another recently " Born Again Rocketeer"! Don't know if the have a Hobby Lobby in your area but if they do, be sure and take advantage of their weekly 40% off coupon. They have a fair selection of Estes rocket kits and it's a good way to get your fleet started.
Michael

Welcome back! The Tandem-X set was what got me into this several months ago. I still have the Amazon, but I lost my Crossfire a while ago to a forest of rocket-eating trees. :( Judging from the size of your field in the video, I should highly recommend cutting a spill hole in the 'chute if you plan on using C6-5's. C6-7's might be better. :2:
I'll be the first to warn you though, it's a slippery slope! I started out something like 6 or 8 months ago with small Estes stuff, and now all of my rockets are scratch builds of increasing complexity, and I'm flying them with Aerotech reloadable composite motors. :y:
Have fun! :D

Welcome back! The Tandem-X set was what got me into this several months ago. I still have the Amazon, but I lost my Crossfire a while ago to a forest of rocket-eating trees. :( Judging from the size of your field in the video, I should highly recommend cutting a spill hole in the 'chute if you plan on using C6-5's. C6-7's might be better. :2:
I'll be the first to warn you though, it's a slippery slope! I started out something like 6 or 8 months ago with small Estes stuff, and now all of my rockets are scratch builds of increasing complexity, and I'm flying them with Aerotech reloadable composite motors. :y:
1 question:
Can I use a streamer on the crossfire?

Also, rocketbuilder, you don't have it that bad. I said I would never fly anything bigger than a C, and now, about a year later, I am planning a 2 stage high power rocket, with altimeters, cameras, and sirens.

OH YEAH!

1 question:
Can I use a streamer on the crossfire?

Also, rocketbuilder, you don't have it that bad. I said I would never fly anything bigger than a C, and now, about a year later, I am planning a 2 stage high power rocket, with altimeters, cameras, and sirens.

OH YEAH!

It would probably be OK with a streamer, but if you're going that route it would be wise to paper the fins; the little strakes seem like they might break off on a hard landing.
And yeah, you're right-- you're way worse than me! :p

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! :D

For the video click the video Icon, delete the htttp crap and paste the link.

Thanks - I was trying the YouTube tags not the video tags.

Welcome from another recently " Born Again Rocketeer"! Don't know if the have a Hobby Lobby in your area but if they do, be sure and take advantage of their weekly 40% off coupon. They have a fair selection of Estes rocket kits and it's a good way to get your fleet started.
Michael

I did find out about this and used the coupon for my kit purchase. I'm also lucky to have a dedicated hobby/modeling shop that carries a big selection of kits and all kinds of hobby tools and materials.

Thanks for the tip on the 'chute - I was planning to cut a spill hole. Even though it may not have needed it, I cut one for the Amazon as well.

Back