Geoffrey Kerbel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
Sad news, Geoffrey Kerbel passed away while attending NARAM. A great individual, that all who have met him will miss.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is true. Fire Dept paramedics were at the hotel late Tuesday afternoon but nobody knew what had happened, if it involved some generic hotel guest or rocketeer. It later became apparent it involved a rocketeer, but not what had happened. Next of Kin had to be notified, before the news blackout was lifted a bit. He was found in his hotel room. No other details.

Thank you, Terry, for posting the news. I am gutted. I first met Geoffrey in 2011 at the SSS Springfest launch when he came by Wayco and my camp to give us a bucket of "dog barf" (cellulose insulation). I last talked to him at the 2018 SSS Springfest when I bought a couple of rockets from him. He always has had some health issues that he managed as well as anyone could. I know that he lived each day as if it was his last and I'm glad that he was at NARAM doing what he loved when he passed and that it was quick. Wayco and I almost headed up to NARAM on the 7th on our way to our vacation home in Red River, NM but decided we didn't have enough time to do it all and just now got back on the forum. I'll definitely be thinking of him at the SSS GHS launch this fall in Arizona.

Condolences to Geoffrey's family and all who knew him.

I knew Geoffrey quite well, having flown with him at Rainbow Valley and other Phoenix locations since joining SSS and meeting him in summer 2006. A great guy all around to be sure and truly a "rocketeer's rocketeer" if that makes any sense. We often were the last ones out of Rainbow Valley during our monthly launches just so we could throw as many rockets up as we could.

Although I've drifted away from rocketry somewhat (but I've starting building again!!) I am thankful to have seen Geoffrey a few months ago at the SSS launch site at Salome Emergency Airfield, Arizona.

Rest In Peace Geoffrey, and may you always have clear skies, calm winds, and successful recovery of whatever you happen to launch.

My photo of Geoffrey at SSS launch April 7, 2018. R.I.P. Geoffrey20180407_100023.jpg

If anybody is interested, services for Geoffrey Kerbel will be held Saturday August 25th at 1pm in Arizona. Location is Hansen Desert Hills Chapel, 6500 E. Bell Rd, Scottsdale, Arizona. There will be a rocket launch and reception to follow.

I felt compelled to start another build today. Nothing special about the rocket, but the guy I bought it from was. Geoffrey Kerbel was a master modeler. An artist whose preferred media was cardboard tubes and plywood. That's probably why I got this fiberglass Formula 75 from him last year at an SSS launch. It would be inappropriate to suggest that he RIP, because he wouldn't be happy if he didn't have something to do. Somehow I know he's still peeling glue off his fingers and looking for that perfect part to make his next project "just right".

I didn't know the gentleman, but I have known many people like him and it is always a sad thing to say goodbye to someone we can relate to with a passion for rocketry.

May he fly higher than he has ever flown before - Rest In Peace

Although I was at NARAM the whole week, somehow I didn't hear about this until now. I knew his health was always dodgy but he did well despite it. He always gave freely of his time to help anyone and everyone. Geoffrey showed me how to assemble Aerotech reloads and signed off on my L1 several years back. It's kind of amazing he left in the middle of NARAM. We're gonna miss him.

I never met him (possibly crossed paths with him out on the range Saturday through Monday or at the Reunion Saturday night). I think he may have been signed up for one of the Estes tours on Monday. Hope he got to go.

At one point I got on the elevator and a Pueblo cop was on his way up to investigate. He saw my credentials and asked what the convention was, and I told him about the launch and that it was at Hudson Ranch and invited him out to watch. Hope he got the chance.

Back