Geoffrey Kerbel

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by terryg, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:59 PM.

1. Aug 10, 2018 at 9:59 PM #1

terryg

terryg

terryg

Sad news, Geoffrey Kerbel passed away while attending NARAM. A great individual, that all who have met him will miss.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 12:40 AM
    MoeB likes this.
  2. Aug 11, 2018 at 12:04 AM #2

georgegassaway

georgegassaway

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately this is true. Fire Dept paramedics were at the hotel late Tuesday afternoon but nobody knew what had happened, if it involved some generic hotel guest or rocketeer. It later became apparent it involved a rocketeer, but not what had happened. Next of Kin had to be notified, before the news blackout was lifted a bit. He was found in his hotel room. No other details.

3. Aug 11, 2018 at 12:32 AM #3

mccordmw

mccordmw

mccordmw

So sad to hear. I wish the best for his family and friends.

On a side note, he has an amazing last name.

4. Aug 11, 2018 at 9:01 PM #4

Hardline

Hardline

Hardline

Ecstatic and Joyous

Thank you, Terry, for posting the news. I am gutted. I first met Geoffrey in 2011 at the SSS Springfest launch when he came by Wayco and my camp to give us a bucket of "dog barf" (cellulose insulation). I last talked to him at the 2018 SSS Springfest when I bought a couple of rockets from him. He always has had some health issues that he managed as well as anyone could. I know that he lived each day as if it was his last and I'm glad that he was at NARAM doing what he loved when he passed and that it was quick. Wayco and I almost headed up to NARAM on the 7th on our way to our vacation home in Red River, NM but decided we didn't have enough time to do it all and just now got back on the forum. I'll definitely be thinking of him at the SSS GHS launch this fall in Arizona.

MoeB likes this.
  5. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM #5

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

Geez. Didn't know him, but I guess if you have to go, being at a rocketry convention would be a nice way to pass. My condolences to family and friends.

MoeB and Steve Shannon like this.
  6. Aug 14, 2018 at 12:44 AM #6

MoeB

MoeB

MoeB

Condolences to Geoffrey's family and all who knew him.

I knew Geoffrey quite well, having flown with him at Rainbow Valley and other Phoenix locations since joining SSS and meeting him in summer 2006. A great guy all around to be sure and truly a "rocketeer's rocketeer" if that makes any sense. We often were the last ones out of Rainbow Valley during our monthly launches just so we could throw as many rockets up as we could.

Although I've drifted away from rocketry somewhat (but I've starting building again!!) I am thankful to have seen Geoffrey a few months ago at the SSS launch site at Salome Emergency Airfield, Arizona.

Rest In Peace Geoffrey, and may you always have clear skies, calm winds, and successful recovery of whatever you happen to launch.

7. Aug 14, 2018 at 1:57 AM #7

MoeB

MoeB

MoeB

My photo of Geoffrey at SSS launch April 7, 2018. R.I.P. Geoffrey 20180407_100023.jpg