Generic V2 Question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronicabill

Reaction score
The Estes V2 rocket kit shows the paint job in yellow and black, yet all photos that I find on the interwebz have it painted black and white. In addition, a full-sized replica we used to have nearby was ALSO black and white, NOT black and yellow!

Is there something I’m missing?

I would prefer mine to have the white (yes, I know it’s racist) instead of yellow, but want to make sure that I’m not missing some important differentiation before I choose my colors. Thanks!!!

The yellow and black Estes paint scheme seems to be based on V2 #2, the first to be flown at White Sands, New Mexico from a bunch of captured V2s. So technically, not incorrect.
The V2 was painted in a variety of paint schemes by the Germans during WW II, including black and white and ragged, or splinter camo.
See Peter Always' post in this thread for the various paint schemes:
V2 Color Scheme | Page 2 | The Rocketry Forum
Black and white would be a fine choice.

The Estes V2 rocket kit shows the paint job in yellow and black, yet all photos that I find on the interwebz have it painted black and white. In addition, a full-sized replica we used to have nearby was ALSO black and white, NOT black and yellow!

I would prefer mine to have the white (yes, I know it’s racist) instead of yellow, but want to make sure that I’m not missing some important differentiation before I choose my colors. Thanks!!!
Took all of three seconds to find pictures of V-2s launched at White Sands in the yellow/black paint scheme. http://weebau.com/rock_us/a4_ws.php

One great resource for V-2s used in the US as research rockets: http://www.postwarv2.com/

Not sure what race or ethnicity has to do with painting a model rocket...

There were exactly two yellow and black V-2's flown, both at White Sands. One was C-2 No 2 and one was V-2 No. 3 (V-2 Nol 1 was a static test). After that, White sands switched to overall white with a black and white roll pattern on the tail section. The north (downrange) fin was black, the Southwest quadrant of the tail section (from the leading corner of the fins down, including boattail and fins) was black on top and white on the bottom. The southeast quadrant of the tail sectionm defined the same way) was white on top and black on the bottom. White Sands used that pattern with minor variations starting with V-2 number 4 and continuing through something like a couple of dozen more flights. Eventually, they added Diagonal V-stripes, then reduced the black paint on the tail and switching southeast and southwest.

Huh--I forgot I had a bunch of stuff on Flickr, including some of my V-2 color drawings: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48113599@N04/albums/72157624705434516/page2

Oh, and here is the video with the R-1 roll pattern. With some careful observation, you can find the colors on all sides (I know that one side only shows up on an indoor shop test):

Not really.
V2s had lots of paint schemes, and you are free to pick any one of them that appeals to you, or make one up for yourself.

I would prefer mine to have the white (yes, I know it’s racist) instead of yellow, but want to make sure that I’m not missing some important differentiation before I choose my colors.

Unless you are building a museum exhibit, whichever color makes you happy is the right choice.
Reproducing the true V2 Peenemünde black'n'white roll pattern would be a PITA, and require above-average masking and painting skills, plus time and patience: http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/markings.html

Callow comments about racism notwithstanding.

Like Peter Alway, I definitely enjoy the V-2. There were only two V-2's flown with the yellow/black paint scheme but at least a few more were painted yellow/black but then painted over with white. I don't have any specific images of this but did see a few at the White Sands Missile Range Archives.

Back