G-FORCE Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe both one red and one black with a either red or black nose cone...and continue the design to the AFT section. The only white on the rocket will be when I remove the tape lines.

Looking fantastic! Don't make it too pretty or you won't want to fly her!

I flew my g force today on a h410. wow, what a great motor. .5 seconds of fury. it vanished off the pad and hit 1084'. awesome flight.

at this point I need to rename my g force to h force because I've flown more h motors in her!

Looking fantastic! Don't make it too pretty or you won't want to fly her!

I flew my g force today on a h410. wow, what a great motor. .5 seconds of fury. it vanished off the pad and hit 1084'. awesome flight.

at this point I need to rename my g force to h force because I've flown more h motors in her!

I decided not to go with the triangle paint job and keep it basic. I started to mask it off and said nah it isn't worth the hassle. I want to finish it not spend the next month masking it off...probably 3 basic colors, but all the same it will look nice. I'll post some pictures when I get some painting done.

I decided not to go with the triangle paint job and keep it basic. I started to mask it off and said nah it isn't worth the hassle. I want to finish it not spend the next month masking it off...probably 3 basic colors, but all the same it will look nice. I'll post some pictures when I get some painting done.

I'm with you, I never seem to put too much money or time into a rocket, I've had more than a few fail on me. One of my favorites as a kid was the Estes Grey Hawk, it was destroyed on the first flight.

Last edited:
I decided to get some painting done today before the rain comes tomorrow. I painted the nose cone Gloss White. I put on at least (4) coats and did my best to "wet" or "blend" the paint. I think it turned out much better. The top section is painted Gloss White and 4" is Gloss Black, which is currently masked off. I plan on painting 4" of the tip of the nose cone Gloss Red after it dries a few days. It probably won't be until the weekend that we'll have some nice weather again. All that's left to paint is the aft section, which will be white and I might paint one or all of the fins either Gloss Red or Gloss Black?

005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg009.jpg011.jpg

It's getting close to being finish, but I don't want to rush anything....just cruising right along. I can always work on other projects/builds that I have on my bench.

Here is the completed painted top section of the G-FORCE. Just something simple.

012.jpg013.jpg

A few hours later...

After the paint on the nose dried I wanted to fit it on the upper airframe and see what it looks like?

019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't posted on this in awhile. Been busy with other stuff. As it stands all I have to do is paint the AFT section and now that I have ideal of the paint scheme I should have some pictures up by next week. I just want to make everything dries before adding the second and third colors...basiclly it will be a clean and very simple scheme. Nothing too fancy and no Van Halen strips...sorry

I finally decided what color(s) I'm going to be painting the AFT section and the paint scheme itself. I used 6mmm TAMIYA tape to tape off my pattern.

Hopefully tomorrow I get the first color down. We've been having 80 degree here in Southern CA so it's perfect for painting. I may need to get another can of paint just in case.

IMG_1830.jpgIMG_1831.jpgIMG_1832.jpgIMG_1833.jpg

I laid down the Duplicolor Gloss Black and went on pretty nice and uniform, but areas on the rocket have a "haze" look to them. Yep just my luck. I hate painting sometimes. The weather here is beautiful around 70 and no wind and the sun is out. I may have to come back and wet sand the finish and repaint, but then again it might correct itself after it dries ...not sure? You can't tell in the pictures, but under the lights you can.

IMG_1834.jpgIMG_1835.jpgIMG_1836.jpgIMG_1837.jpg

Note: Before I posted this I went back and laid down a one more light coat to blend it in and that "haze" is gone and lets hope it stays gone and never ever comes back!!:facepalm: You know I like the way it looks, but know I could do much better, but sometimes you have to stop and accept the finish product and not mess with it. It has no runs, no haze, no crackly finish and looks decent. So it's good enough right now and I have to remind myself I'm not a professional painter nor do I have the tools of the trade of a professional painter; so I just have to live with it. It seems the more you mess with something the worse it gets. I'm sure a lot of you out there know exactly what I'm talking about. How about just one more coat of paint and it ends up running and looking terrible...no thanks..been there and done that. I'll pass.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy the way it turned out, but if I wanted a really smooth and glass finish I would need to wet sand the finish and spray a clear on it. I'm considering it. The paint in some areas are dry and I know why. As I was painting the rocket the over spray was getting on the opposite side and no matter what I did to avoid it ...well it still happened so some areas are just that way. More and more I wish I had a booth and a spray gun...anyway here are the pictures.

IMG_1838.jpgIMG_1840.jpgIMG_1841.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures with both sections. I plan on painting the fins white with red tips. I think it will look really good. Also the aft section inside the airframe will be red and white. The aft ring will be white and the inside of the airframe will be red. It will add some nice detail and contrast to the rocket. The 1" or so of black just above the root edge of the fin will still be there. The white will be the area that is primer now and then 1" of red across the top.

IMG_1842.jpgIMG_1843.jpg

If I was to wet sand and laid down a clear coat could any of you suggest the correct procedure and technique? I have no problem building a rocket or even painting per say, but it seems every time I laid a clear the paint does weird things like check and craze. When you laid down a clear do you do it in like coats and how far away do you have to be from the surface. I tried both ways. Light coats get me a speckle type finish, while trying to build layers, blend or wet the clear like you would with paint causes it to craze. Someone once suggested the reason it does is because the clear coat temperature is much hotter and applying thick or multiple coats causes the finish to craze? IDK - If I had a better understanding of the procedure and had a few under my belt I would feel more confident in what I was doing and my paint jobs would look so much better. Having dry paint or paint with slight imperfections would be a thing of the past because wet sanding removes any imperfections and applying the clear coat gives a mirror finish.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Well after looking over the rocket and inspecting it further I decided to go ahead and wet sand the finish using 1000 grit. The area near the fillets really needed it so I did that area first. I also wanted to sand the tape line down a little more and make it flush before I cut in the white and the red for the fins.

IMG_1850.jpgIMG_1851.jpgIMG_1852.jpg

I'm not in a hurry on this project and I just want to try and do a good job on it. The only part I have concerns with is spraying the clear coat. Not really that good at it, so I will have to practice my technique first on some scrap material. I posted this question about applying clear and Rustoleum Crystal Clear was mentioned. I know Duplicolor makes a clear coat too...so I'll try both. So if this build is slowing down it's because I need to work on my skills a little more. Thanks for being patient.

To avoid having any crazing or weird affects, I would strongly suggest applying the finish to a couple of sample pieces, or coupons that are not part of the rocket. Put the clear finish on the coupons to make sure it works as you desire before putting it on the rocket and having a lot of sanding in preparation for a do over.

To avoid having any crazing or weird affects, I would strongly suggest applying the finish to a couple of sample pieces, or coupons that are not part of the rocket. Put the clear finish on the coupons to make sure it works as you desire before putting it on the rocket and having a lot of sanding in preparation for a do over.

I definitely plan on it. I'm probably going to stay with Duplicolor so to avoid any compatibility issues if you know what I mean.

Well today I worked on wet sanding the AFT section. I got about 98% of it done (using 1000 grit). I still need to come back and touch up a few areas where you can still see some shiny speckles, but aside from the it turned out nice. I'll go ahead and do the same for the upper section and nose cone.

IMG_1856.jpgIMG_1857.jpgIMG_1858.jpgIMG_1859.jpg

I placed an order today with BRS Hobbies for BT-60's. I'm going to build a few low power rockets to save on my wallet and I'm going to use one BT to practice laying down a clear coat finish before I try it on the G-FORCE. I'm just taking my time on this build. I don't have a dead line to met and I just want to do the best job that I'm capable of doing. I do have other rockets to launch so I'm not too concerned.

That looks sweet!
Nice job, and I noticed the part about no dead line to meet, just want to do the best job capable.

For me painting is the toughest part, making all the work that's gone into a project look good. I finally learned to have patience painting which isn't easy for me sometimes. I only use rattle can paint and found I needed to learn to be patient between coats. Spraying another coat over top of the first coat before its cured proper and it wrinkles and more so with clear and then I have to start over again. But then there are times you can do it all right and its the paint itself, sometimes we can't win.

Looking forward to seeing the final finish. I'm sure it will look great.

Ken

you are making this thing too pretty to fly! my h-force got pretty dinged up on the last flight.

you are making this thing too pretty to fly! my h-force got pretty dinged up on the last flight.

That's what my girlfriend says. She reminds of the rocket I built for her and on it's second flight and exploded.... it's just who I am. I always try to do my best at whatever I do. It's a learning process ya know?

Sorry I haven't posted much on this thread, but I've been busy with other projects and now that I'll be going back to work in a week or so I'll have less time. Anyway I got the fins painted and I still need to add some red strips to it. I also had to repaint the red section on the upper airframe because it fell over and chipped some paint. It's primer right now and I'll get to it when I can...

IMG_1928.jpgIMG_1929.jpgIMG_1930.jpgIMG_1931.jpg

Anyway guys I decided to get the fins painted...need I say more?? The white band on the upper tube will have the same pattern to match the fins. I sprayed the fins and the upper tube today. I'll wait a few days before I paint the pattern on the upper airframe. I want to make sure everything dries. As you notice the lower airframe is wet sanded and very dull. I had to go back over it with rubbing alcohol to remove any tape residue. I had it masked up for about a month. I plan on coming back over the entire lower airframe and wet sanding it. I'm also going to wet sand the fins after they dry awhile. From there I might either shoot a clear coat over it or try and buff it out?? I feel more comfortable with clear coating it than taking a chance of rubbing through the finish. I'm actually not sure how many coats I sprayed on it? My luck when I launch this thing it will probably get dragged across the lake bed. I know it's been awhile since I've done anything to it, but been busy with work and other projects/hobbies.

IMG_1939.jpgIMG_1941.jpgIMG_1942.jpgIMG_1945.jpgIMG_1947.jpg

Here is the upper airframe. Now all I have to do is add something cool to the nose cone section. Probably the "5150" design, but just 2-3" of the tip. Wet sand the rest of the rocket and shoot with cleat and I'm done.

IMG_1948.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1955.jpgIMG_1956.jpgIMG_1957.jpg

She`s looking damn fine ,really nice paint work ,very smooth !

I like it !

Paul t

Thanks Paul, but I still need to put the finishing touches on it. I decided to paint the nose cone red with the white stripes to match the rest of the rocket....should look pretty cool. I'll work on it tomorrow. I'm done for today.

Thanks Paul, but I still need to put the finishing touches on it. I decided to paint the nose cone red with the white stripes to match the rest of the rocket....should look pretty cool. I'll work on it tomorrow. I'm done for today.

Danny- going to ROCSTOCK?? I'll be there. Hope to see ya!

Back