Future Floor Polish...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
OK,
This is driving me crazy.... How do you apply this stuff without getting drips? I have tried airbrushing it on, sponge brushing it on and even the dip method on small parts. The final gloss is great, but it always gets drips and waves in it.:rolleyes:

I lightly soak a piece of paper towel and then lightly drag it across the surface. You don't need it to be a thick layer in order to get the shine an protection you need.

I use a scrap of old t-shirt. Squirt some on the cloth then apply a light coat. It doesn't take much....as your finding out. It's so thin, that if you apply it too thick it will just run. When you apply it thin you avoid the runs....let it dry and if there are some spots you missed just apply a little more. Wait for it to dry though.....it gets pretty sticky as it's drying.

Originally posted by OKTurbo
I use a scrap of old t-shirt. Squirt some on the cloth then apply a light coat. It doesn't take much....as your finding out. It's so thin, that if you apply it too thick it will just run. When you apply it thin you avoid the runs....let it dry and if there are some spots you missed just apply a little more. Wait for it to dry though.....it gets pretty sticky as it's drying.

Yeah...
pretty sticky! So with the cloth and papertowel methods you guys are not getting a bunch of lint in the finish?

I often use the airbrush by spraying it full strength..light coats ,several layers.
it's not easy ,everything has to be set just right or it comes out with a pebbly texture at best.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Yeah...
pretty sticky! So with the cloth and papertowel methods you guys are not getting a bunch of lint in the finish?

That's why I use an old t-shirt...less lint...

Go over it once with a light coat, then....no matter how much you want to "touch it up a bit"....don't touch it until it dries. You can go back later and fix the sections you missed.

I've been pretty successful with this method.

I use a 1 inch foam brush and a very light coat of FFP. After dipping the brush in the FFP then gently press the brush against a paper towel to get rid of the excess. After applying it, leave it alone!

On a scale of 1-10, how much difference does this stuff make in the gloss of your rockets? I have tried it on a few of my low power rockets, and the only one I had it work on was an Alien8 that was painted gloss black. I tried it on a Deuce's Wild, and it had absolutely no effect- what am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by karatekicker271
On a scale of 1-10, how much difference does this stuff make in the gloss of your rockets? I have tried it on a few of my low power rockets, and the only one I had it work on was an Alien8 that was painted gloss black. I tried it on a Deuce's Wild, and it had absolutely no effect- what am I doing wrong?

What was the paint like underneath? If it was glossy to begin with, you might not see that much of a difference. I always get a really nice gloss when using it. Airbrushing is the best: you can spray it full strength and it cleans up with Windex. Otherwise, get those cheap disposable foam brushes at a craft store and use the way revkeith describes. As long as you don't put it on too thick, it levels itself out nicely.
Drew Tomko

Originally posted by karatekicker271

The first rocket i used it on was my Estes Black Brant II. It had seen better days, and the large decals were drying out and crazing. I applied it as OKTurbo said, with a little bit on a paper towel. I did the nose cone first, and it came out great!

On the body I spent more time rubbing it with the paper towel, remembering that my mom used to clean the floors with it. Sure enough, the grime went away, replaced by a new shine. The crazed decals were still crazed, but they were uniformly shiny once again and the edges of the decals were less noticable.
The only thing I was unhappy about was the smell. And you need to leave it alone for a day or two for it to really harden, otherwise you can easily scuff it.

I've since done three rockets with it and am pleased. It doesn't increase the gloss that much, but it does protect the finish.

Back