Future Altimeter Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had to choose between one or the other in an altimeter, would you rather have...

• Two outputs + a buzzer (you can see the status wirelessly)

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Three outputs but no buzzer (you can see the status wirelessly)

Votes: 40 46.5%

• Total voters
Honestly, if I'm going to make any form factor changes to the Quantum it's going to be to make it bigger... to make the hole spacing the same as the older versions. I probably should have left it alone... I've taken heat from the 3D-printed sled vendors, and probably rightfully so.

Honestly, if I'm going to make any form factor changes to the Quantum it's going to be to make it bigger...

I just don't see why a Mini version couldn't co-exist with the full-size version, as in the case with the Eggfinder TX and Eggfinder Mini.

Isn't the Eggfinder Mini the more popular of the two?

It would have to be substantially smaller to make it worthwhile. Given the size constraints of the WiFi module, terminal blocks, buzzer, headers, and the other components it probably couldn't be much smaller. Plus, the through-hole rectifier has gone EOL, so I'm going to have to replace it with a SMT part, which actually takes up a lot more board space since it's basically the same profile laying down flat on the board. If you look at the B1 board, you'll see that there's not a lot of empty space behind the WiFi module.

We sell about as many Eggfinder TX's as Mini's... note that the performance of the TX is better than the Mini due to the larger board acting as a better ground plane for the antennas, so reduced size is not always a good thing.

Honestly, if I'm going to make any form factor changes to the Quantum it's going to be to make it bigger... to make the hole spacing the same as the older versions. I probably should have left it alone... I've taken heat from the 3D-printed sled vendors, and probably rightfully so.
Completely understand the issues the 3D Printing vendors would face with this. Having said that, I think the current Quantum is excellent.

About the only thing I would ask for is updated drilling guides across all the products. I generally CNC my Ebay sleds and it really helps to have the exact dimensions of the boards/mounting holes to plug into Fusion 360. I would love to see one PDF will all the boards in it, past and present, so I had a single point of reference for dimensions.

We ended up putting both three outputs AND a buzzer in the Quasar, so the original question is pretty much moot.

I just got notice that the Quasar PC boards have been shipped, so we're on track to ship around the end of November. The only holdup would be 900 MHz RF modules... and I'm expecting a few hundred of them about the same time.

Chris,

I applaud your efforts. Although while I am not interested in WIFI or wireless arming, I acknowledge that I am in the minority,

Although while I am not interested in WIFI or wireless arming, I acknowledge that I am in the minority,

I remember thinking that the Eggtimer Quantum was a truly revolutionary product when I first learned about it. Being able to remotely control and configure your rocketry electronics using practically any WiFi-enabled device with a web browser is a seriously awesome feature, especially now that smartphones are so ubiquitous.

I do hope that someday Cris will take the red (Altus Metrum) pill and begin to open-source these ESP8266-based Eggtimer electronics. So long as they remain closed-source, I think a lot of untapped potential will be left on the table. Even though my programming skills are nearly 100% iron oxide, I'd very much like to get my hands on some source code and try adding new features to the firmware.

Asynchronous web pages and a DHCP-enabled station mode (for rockets with multiple WiFi-enabled electronics) would make for a very interesting coding adventure!

Sorry! I may or may not have been a customer of one of those sled vendors that alerted them of such. That said, I definitely appreciate the reduced part count and since I can now print my own sleds, I can take advantage of the reduced footprint.

Back