Frustrated with matte clear coat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
09FDC7BE-19FE-4808-B09B-79B0AD795573.jpeg

I tried to put a matte finish on a new rocket last night. I used Rostoleum matte clear enamel over Rustoleum universal carbon mist. I loved the look of the paint, so I wanted to protect it. Now it just sucks.

Is there any good option here?

49698DC5-83C6-4928-91B3-E845B83262AB.jpeg

It's hard to tell from the pic what the problem is. I don't ever use matte clear but with satin, it usually looks fuzzy and almost frosted in some places until I lightly wipe it down with XXXX steel wool.

I usually use Krylon or Duplicolr high glass but it usually takes several coats & lots of patience. Really hard to see the problem in your photo.

I use Rustoleum 2X clears, they go on very evenly and don't look spotty. Also applying clear 8-10 in. from rocket horizontally to rocket helps.

Sorry about the photo. The lighting is bad in my basement/rocket lair. The matte finish looks hazy and uneven.

I think I’ll try the steel wool trick. If I’m careful, hopefully it won’t damage the vinyl decals.

I’ve had great results before with Rustoleum 2X gloss clear. If the steel wool doesn’t work, would it be possible to just go over this crappy finish with the 2X gloss?

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to let it sit for a week or so before you do anything. At this point, it's still "curing" - solvent is still leaving the paint and it is gradually getting harder. After a week or so, the finish will be more cured, could change color to the way you want, but if you *do* decide to use steel wool, the finish will be a lot harder and less likely to gum up.

I actually was under the impression that the clear coats cure pretty quickly, at least compared to the enamel paints.

Will it hurt to wait a few days? I've found patience is the best tool a lot of times. For other times there are hammers...really BIG hammers.

I always wait a week or more before and after clear coats before handling. I hate getting the Rusto wrinkles. Even after two weeks in the heat, leaning the rocket against something for a day can dent the paint.

I have had issue getting a gloss to work after adding glitter. How smooth was the metalic finish before applying the clear?

Last edited:
Back