Frequency of Oil Change debate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1998 Ford Ranger XLT
3.0L V6, Manual Tranny
Calls for 5W/30
Have always used 10W/30 synthetic blend 10W/30, in all climates.
Now has over 350,000, no smoke, no knock, plenty of get up n go still.
Although rust is beginning to take over.
Changed Oil Faithfully at 3000 miles, or less.
Bought WIX filters by the case.

Last edited:
Let's extend this topic just a bit to Oil Filters. I will start it out....

Fram - STAY AWAY

Have a 2001 Camry V6 with just over 100k miles on it. Had new seals put in back when I first got in 2013 with 40k. I immediately switched to synthetic due to that series of engine having a "sludging" problem with conventional oils. I initially changed every 5k miles, but decided to send an analysis off to Blackstone after 10k. Came back with promising results and a suggestion to try 12k. Did so and sent another sample. Came back great and suggested 15k! Now I do mostly 16 mile highway commute driving each day, so not quite "highway" but also not city. I'll probably stick with 10k on the High mileage synthetic since it appears al is well. Blackstone does a great job and will keep the data for your car so you can see trends/changes in oil quality and metals found during analysis. For the cost of 5qts of synthetic ($28 + postage), I think it's worth it (I also change my own oil, so good for records keeping).

Fram - STAY AWAY

When I was doing research on oil filters I came across information that suggested what you mentioned.

I use Bosch filters on my vehicles.

Greg

Fram - STAY AWAY

I used to use Fram oil filters and they served me well. I would even use standard STP from time to time. Since I switched to synthetic blend and then to full synthetic, I have used either Bosch or Mobil 1 filters. Some recent information that I have seen supports this.

Due to the amount and type of filter media, Fram and basic STP filters are best suited to higher frequency oil changes with petroleum based oils. If you are running a bend or full synthetic, the Bosch or Mobil 1 filer is suggested. The STP premium filter also performed well and is suggested, along with the Mobil 1 filter for oil change intervals over 10k miles.

The bottom line is that replacing the oil filter with anything is better than doing nothing. There are some good options out there.

Ok,
My experience today is that when I take my Corolla, still under warranty, into a jiffy-lube or similar, their reminder sticker still says 3000 miles, yet the manufacturer who is on the hook for repairs still says 10,000. Why do you think that is???? Do you think the Jiffy-lube parts-changer is smarter than the risk-averse manufacturer?

Cole

do those oil change places make more money doing oil changes at 3000 miles or 10,000?

Oil change places don't really make any money on oil changes. If they depended on them for their survival, they wouldn't. It's about the upsale.

do those oil change places make more money doing oil changes at 3000 miles or 10,000?

Finally, a thread on this forum I can relate to-

I change the oil on my Dodge Ram diesels with Cummins motors every 10k with a filter swap every 5k. One major issue with these new diesels is they now have EGR systems that soot up that oil so fast I can change it and, hit the key...it's already black.
Putting a bypass filter system on this newest truck would really be a benefit nowadays and, I have explored some options.For me to change out my oil every 3k is NOT an option. I put that on every 6 weeks. To fill that crankcase with (3) gallons of oil hits you hard.

Growing up in Wisconsin introduced me to synthetic motor oils at an early age when that was a hard to find option...About the only option was Amsoil-
I was dealer for them from the mid eighties until about 1990. I finally gave up on them due to the fact that no matter what I ran their product in I couldn't get a clean oil analysis. A lot of my customers had the same issue, so I kicked THEIR HYPE to the curb.

When it comes to choosing non-synthetic oils I've always run Valvoline. On the Synthetic side I religiously use Mobil 1. If it's a two stroke motor I like Redline (best fuel/oil suspension I've ever seen). Filters, that's easy...Wix, Hastings and, of course Mobil 1 with their oil.

For engines that have high mileage on them, I always recommend that their owners check out the oil manufacturers websites. On them you'll find the links to their particular "oil data sheets" by weights...(for the good ones).
You'll notice that on Mobil's site that their "High Mileage" synthetic oils contain higher ppm amounts of zinc and, phosphorous. I still feel that helps with the older engines (especially 70's era and, below) if their still original, non-rebuilt.

Thru Drag Racing over the years, I found that a lot of my friends used Kendall and, Shell Rotella due to concerns over cam/valve train wear issues using BIG mechanical and, roller cam combos. LOTS of zinc and, phosphorus floating around in there.

One thing at the dragstrip that always confused me was the "Leave the air cleaner off to gain 5hp crowd". Seriously? I always ran filters.

Which leads me to this- No matter what you drive...

1. If keep the oil clean from contaminates thru eliminating external or internal (coolant infused) leaks. There's your first step. An engine leaking oil is drawing in junk.
2. Clean air, I run nothing but, reusable oiled air filters in my vehicles (NO problems with my MAF sensors if done properly.) Dirty air getting in anything kills that motor.
3. Clean fuel, dirt finding a path thru carbs and, injectors does the same over time.
4. Last but, not least- How do you drive it? Do you hit the key and, slam it into gear? I always allow my motors 25-30 seconds after start up to build full oil pressure...a minute or two in the winter. An engine starts with the cam and, crankshaft literally sitting on their bearings. Yes, there might be a thousandth of an inch of oil under it but, load it hard with no/ low oil pressure and, you take the life out ANY motor.

*Tolerances NEVER wear in, they wear out from the first start.*

Make sure (especially under warranty) that the oil you chose meets the manufactures requirements spec wise and, over the life of the vehicle chose what you want.

For me, I've found that using Mobil 1 5w-40 Synthetic Turbo Diesel Oil along with the added on Pyrometer I wired in View attachment 305174 keeping my temps below 400 degrees fahr. (before shut off) makes my daily driver very happy. Lord knows that darn truck cost more than my house cost to build...and, my 1999 Ram had 330k on it when I sold it last year.
It had a very happy motor in it!

Clean oil, clean filters, good driving habits and, 99.9% of the time they'll last a long time with a minimum of trouble...

Last edited:
From an engineering point a view there is no set interval of oil changes for most vehicles. I follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
All the factors come into play, running temps, how hard the vehicle is run, types of bearings, etc.
Any oil change is a function of when you start seeing a certain amount of metals in the oil sample.
Change oil regularly, doing too often helps more to a slight degree.
Cons: More cost for oil changes.
Don't change often enough, you lessen its lifespan.
Engines that do not run many miles of many months? Condensation is dripping down into the oil pan over time and degrades the oils lubricating capacity. That's why they say 3000 mi OR 3 months.
Are you wasting oil or causing more environmental harm, I don't think so.
I do my oil changes at a place that heats the garage with waste oil.

How often do y'all rotate your tires? ;) And I'm NOT referring to driving on them. :facepalm:

When I do rotate them it's every 5000 miles. My current set of tires are not being rotated. BMW does not recommend to rotate tires on my car because of the wear patterns and it could impact handling.

Back