Frederik Pohl, 1919 - 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanJ

Reaction score
Science fiction legend Frederik Pohl died this weekend.

He started writing in the late 1930s, landed a job editing a Sci-Fi magazine at age 19, and had a novel published just last year.

Pohl rubbed elbows with SF's legends, like Asimov, Heinlein, and Bradbuy; as an editor and publisher helped "discover" many young talents.

https://io9.com/rip-frederik-pohl-the-man-who-transformed-science-fict-1241405614

Two novels come to mind:

The Space Merchants, which Pohl co-authored with Cyril Kornbluth, was about a world dominated by advertising and conspicuous consumption.

The award-winning Gateway was a masterpiece; it is about adventurers who risk their lives flying alien spacecraft found abandoned at a space station / asteroid.

Such a loss :(

I got introduced to his books through the Heechee saga many, many years ago. It's a shame that it takes something like this for me to put someone's works on my re-read list.

I loved Gateway --- easily one of my favorite SF books of all time. The other heechee books were good but not as good as Gateway. I thought the Cool War was pretty good, and Man Plus has an interesting twist. He was a good writer, and had an interesting sense of humor.

Apparently he wrote a screenplay for Gateway. I have always thought it would make an excellent movie.

Thanks for the post, though news like this is always sad. I read Gateway earlier this year, and really enjoyed it. I just checked out The Space Merchants.

Back