Forum Games - Book Bingo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Cozy mystery .......................................
Dystopia ...............................................
By a Nobel Laureate ............................
More than 1,000 pages ........................
Laugh out loud ....................................
Banned book ........................................
Memoir ................................................
From the 19th century ..........................
Young-adult series ...............................
Childhood favorite ................................
Biography of a U.S. president ..............
Poetry collection .................................
A classic ............................................
Debut novel ........................................
Impress your friendsl ..........................
Romance ............................................
Short stories .......................................
By a Pulitzer Prize winner ..................
Magic realism .....................................
Tragic love story .................................
Adapted into an Oscar winning film ....
Translated into English .......................
Sci-Fi classic ......................................
Set in Ireland ......................................
Non-Fiction .........................................
Rocketry ..............................................

Last edited:
Cozy mystery ....................................... Murder on the Orient Express
Dystopia ............................................... 1984
By a Nobel Laureate ............................ The Stranger
More than 1,000 pages ........................ Bible
Laugh out loud ..................................... The Callaghan Touch
Banned book ....................................... Huckleberry Finn
Memoir ................................................ To The Stars (George Takei)
From the 19th century ......................... Tom Sawyer
Young-adult series .............................. The Masterharper Series (Dragonriders of Pern)
Childhood favorite ............................... The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Biography of a U.S. president .............. Lincoln
Poetry collection .................................. Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
A classic ............................................. The Pearl
Debut novel ......................................... Contact (Sagan)
Impress your friends ........................... Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows (read in 24 hours)
Romance ............................................ Wuthering Heights
Short stories ....................................... Night Shift (Stephen King)
By a Pulitzer Prize winner ................... Old Man And The Sea
Magic realism ...................................... The Harry Potter books
Tragic love story .................................. Romeo and Juliette
Adapted into an Oscar winning film .... 2001: A Space Odyssey
Translated into English ....................... Cat Country (from Chinese)
Sci-Fi classic ....................................... Ringworld
Set in Ireland ...................................... Frankenstein
Non-Fiction ......................................... Cosmos (Sagan)
Rocketry .............................................. Modern High-Power Rocketry 2

Last edited:
I don’t understand the rules. Do we answer with books we’ve read, books we currently have on our shelf, or do we pick any book?

Cozy mystery ....................................... "Key to the Treasure" by Peggy Parrish
Dystopia ............................................... "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley
By a Nobel Laureate ............................ "The Gulag Archepelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
More than 1,000 pages ......... "Challenge to Apollo: The Soviet Union and the Space Race" by Asif Azam Siddiqi
Laugh out loud .................................... National Lampoon's "Bored of the Rings"
Banned book* ........................................ "Maus" by Art Spiegelman
Memoir ................................................ "Riding Rockets" by Mike Mullane
From the 19th century .......................... "Dracula" by Bram Stoker
Young-adult series ............................... "Overlord" by Kugane Maruyama
Childhood favorite ................................ "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis
Biography of a U.S. president .............. N/A
Poetry collection ................................. "The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe"
A classic ............................................ "The Divine Comedy" by Dante Alighieri
Debut novel ........................................ "The Martian" by Andy Weir
Impress your friendsl .......................... The smallest bedroom in our house has been completely lined with bookshelves and designated "The Library."
Romance ............................................ "Nisekoi" by Naoshi Komi**
Short stories ....................................... "The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft"
By a Pulitzer Prize winner .................. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
Magic realism ............................... "The Dragonlance Chronicles" by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis
Tragic love story ................................. Various stories from various Greek Mythology books I have.
Adapted into an Oscar winning film .... "The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien
Translated into English ....................... "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" by Yoshiki Tanaka
Sci-Fi classic ...................................... "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert A. Heinlein
Set in Ireland ...................................... "St. Patrick of Ireland" by Philip Freeman

*There are no "banned books" in this country. There are only "books that were removed from school libraries and/or children's sections because they were found to contain content that is inappropriate for children."
**This is a manga series. For whatever reason, I only find romance tolerable in manga/anime form.

While pondering this list I also had picked "The Martian" as the debut novel entry. It may take me awhile to fill the whole thing out....and I, too, don't recall having ever read (or listened to) a biography of a US President.

While pondering this list I also had picked "The Martian" as the debut novel entry. It may take me awhile to fill the whole thing out....and I, too, don't recall having ever read (or listened to) a biography of a US President.
That had me stumped for a while, until I remembered a book I read as a kid about Honest Abe and his childhood.

That had me stumped for a while, until I remembered a book I read as a kid about Honest Abe and his childhood.
I've read some children's books a long time ago titled, "If you lived in the times of George Washington," "If you lived in the times of Abraham Lincoln," and "The Lives of the Presidents," which had blurbs on all the presidents up to Clinton. I wasn't sure if any of those counted though since they were not strictly biographies on a single president.

Adapted into an Oscar winning film .... ??? "The Martian" by Andy Weir (Wikipedia claims it was nominated for 7 academy awards, but I can't find that it won any.... Does anyone have info on this) I was going to put this in twice because the book was just so awesome and I loved the film as well. But I also have many other books.

FYI The rocketry entry is a cheat. WE must all have The Handbook -- it's like being an old VW fanboy and not having "The hippy book" (VW people know what I'm talking about).

Adapted into an Oscar winning film .... ??? "The Martian" by Andy Weir (Wikipedia claims it was nominated for 7 academy awards, but I can't find that it won any.... Does anyone have info on this) I was going to put this in twice because the book was just so awesome and I loved the film as well. But I also have many other books.

FYI The rocketry entry is a cheat. WE must all have The Handbook -- it's like being an old VW fanboy and not having "The hippy book" (VW people know what I'm talking about).
Ok... What about Modern High-Power Rocketry 2?

I'll give it a go:

Cozy mystery ……………...The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton, Niven

Dystopia ……………………Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Dick

By a Nobel Laureate … ......The Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway (hated it!)

More than 1,000 pages ......The Pillars of the Earth, Follet

Laugh out loud ………… ..The Hitchhikers Guild to the Galaxy, Adams

Banned book ……………. .The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Twain

Memoir …………………….Star Trek Memories, Shatner

From the 19th century ........Pudd’nhead Wilson, Twain

Young-adult series ……......N/A I don’t recall ever reading a children’s series

Childhood favorite …….......The City and the Stars, Clarke

Biography of a U.S. president ..American Sphinx, Thomas Jefferson

Poetry collection ……….....The Odyssey, Homer

A classic …………………...Moby-Dick, Melville

Debut novel ...................... The Martian, Weir

Impress your friends ….....The Iliad

Romance .......................... N/A

Short stories …………........Tails from the white heart, Clarke

By a Pulitzer Prize winner ..To kill a mockingbird, Lee

Magic realism …………......The Magic Goes Away, Niven

Tragic love story …………...N/A

Adapted into an Oscar winning film .... 2001 A Space Odyssey, Clarke

Translated into English …..The Planet of the Apes, Boulle from French

Sci-Fi classic …………………Dune, Herebert

Set in Ireland …………………I don’t think any, I’ll change that soon.

Non-Fiction ………………….Broca’s Brain, Sagan

Rocketry……………………...This New Ocean

I’ll add one:

Books I re read every year…. The Mote in Gods Eye, Niven

Last edited:
I've got to jump in with a pedantic correction. 2001 was writted (as a book) *after* the movie. The movie was not made from the book.

To be even more pedantic, The movie and the book were written at the same time. ACC and SK would compare
notes and story ideas during production.

Cozy mystery ...............The Icraus Hunt -Zahn
Dystopia .............This is How You Lose the Time War - El-Mohtar & Gladstone
By a Nobel Laureate .......Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck More than 1,000 pages ............The Veiled Throne - Liu
Laugh out loud ............................. Goblin Quest-Hines
Banned book .................Ender's Game - Card
Memoir ..........Rocket Boys / October Sky- Hickam
From the 19th century .............War of the Worlds-Wells
Young-adult series ....The Chronicles of Kazam- Fforde
Childhood favorite .........................Redwall-Jacques Biography of a U.S. president ..............none
Poetry collection ..........A Light in the Attic- Silverstein
A classic ................................The Hobbit-Tolkien
Debut novel ................ Ancillary Justice-Leckie Impress your friends ...Every Tool's a Hammer -Savage
Romance ................Shades of Milk and Honey- Kowal Short stories ..............The Hugo Award Show Case (2010 has Evil Robot Monkey one of my favorite shorts)
By a Pulitzer Prize winner ....To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
Magic realism .........The Reason for Dragons -Northrup
Tragic love story ...........The Last Emperox - Scalzi Adapted into an Oscar winning film .... Jurassic Park-Crichton
Translated into English .........The Three Body Problem- Liu/Liu
Sci-Fi classic ................Martian Chronicles- Bradbury Set in Ireland .....Confession of Saint Patrick - St Patrick
Non-Fiction .........The Unofficial LEGO Technic Builders Guide - Kmeic
Rocketry .................. The Dream Machines- Miller

Added
Epic Poetry.......................... Bea Wolf - Weinersmith Written by an Astronaut......The Apollo Murders - Hadfield
Written by an Actor......... The Gunseller-Laurie

Mostly tried to highlight favorite authors

Back