3D Printing Formerly enclosure electronics/Now enclosure build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallace

Reaction score
Since my prior thread on electronics for enclosure control was accidentally removed, I've decided to just turn it into an all encompassing enclosure build thread as Chuck previously requested. I received a package from China yesterday that included what I hope are all the remaining electronics bits to complete this thing. Pretty sure I have all the printed parts finished, now all I need is some of that all elusive "spare" time. Here's a few pics of what I have to date. It's based on 3 IKEA Lack tables and a lighting/temp/humidity control board from JKTech. Setting it up to print high(er) temp materials on my cobbled Ender 3/Geeetech A10M machine.

Last edited:
Concept is to keep the printer itself on top whilst feeding filament internally from and also having the electronics in the unheated yet humidity controlled bottom portion. So far, it looks like everything will fit and play well together.

3 spring loaded/tensioned spool holders and controllers will reside on the bottom shelf. I have room for more spools but doubt I'd need 'em. That's an SKR mini E3 board with embedded 2209 drivers along with a BTT TFT 3.5 controller that, in theory at least, will function as both a 12864 lcd and a customizable touch screen. Still need to pick up a Pi so I can run Octoprint and view/control it from afar. Ideas anyone? See something I'm overlooking?

Obviously kidding. Good call on the smoke detector Chuck, fairly certain I'd have overlooked it were it not for you. Anyone happen to know/have actual experience with which type would be best for a heated chamber? My printers (when functional at least, always taking things apart/upgrading and whatnot) tend to run 24 hours a day, so naturally they're not always attended. Some form of fire suppression may very well be a great idea.

Progress...20191221_143929.jpg 20191221_145046.jpg That's just some re-purposed masonite and plastic of differing types I had "laying" around. I'm gonna attempt to just attach it w/magnets. If it actually works it'll make for easy service/access...

Last edited:
Was it by chance a tinned wire in a "screw clamp"connector? They tend to do that in lieu of a ferrule to save a few 10th's of a cent, knowing it's wrong. That's why I always recommend going over literally everything on a "new" machine.

There are some extinguishing units available for laser cutters. They use a CO2 bulb that is triggered by a smoke detector or temperature detector. I guess you would need more CO2 in your situation.

Now that Ya'll got me thinking about it, I actually have a Halon bottle that was intended for, but never installed, in my race car. Now all I need to do is remember where the h*#@ I put it. Well, that and figure out a reliable way to trigger it.

Just a note for anyone considering using IKEA stuff as a base for an enclosure. There's a reason they're sub $10.00 tables and it's not because IKEA loves and wants to help you. You'll not be simply screwing things in wherever you want, they're way to thin and flimsy for that (think really cheap hollow core interior door, and then think even cheaper yet). Personally, I use Rocketpoxy (aka Glenmarc G5000) and screws for every attachment point. The screws are barely able to hold things in place until the glue sets up. Everything, with the exception of the corners/ends is basically 1/16" masonite type material with some corrugated cardboard in between to keep it from collapsing. It's not a terrible option considering the cost, but be warned that it will require a lot more effort than you may think.

Got my filament paths worked out, definitely gonna need a quick release rear panel of some sort (thinking maybe some brass inserts/thumb screws?), turns out it's rather more cumbersome feeding it than I'd expected. Couldn't imagine attempting all that through the front door whilst laying on the floor. It's all basically just roughed in at this point, didn't want to get too carried away until I knew for certain it'd actually work. I can say one thing for certain, if you value your time, just go buy a ready made enclosure (NOT a tent style thing, may as just well use a cardboard box, a real enclosure). This was originally gonna be a quick simple build, yea, righto_O..20200102_070642.jpg 20200102_070725.jpg 20200102_070747.jpg

As in; How much for just one? Don't really need an entire pallet..

Latest posts

Back