For the Birds - Birding, Bird Watching & Bird Photography!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here's a story with no pics so it must not be true. A few years ago I was trout fishing on the Chattahoochee river in GA. I was alone in my Creek Craft (sort of a 20hp-motorized canoe on steroids) anyway I heard something behind me and when I turned around there was a Red Tailed Hawk sitting on the back of the rear seat. To say the least I was surprised but the boy was big!! I kept my movements slow and deliberate but continued to fish, just amazed at this big ole bird sitting in the back of the boat. There is a raptor recovery center within a few hundred yards of my location so I figured this was an old patient. I caught a small trout and it's attention was focused on the fish as soon as I got it in the boat so I threw it down in the bottom of the boat. The bird jumped down and grabbed it and clamored back to the seat and proceeded to eat the trout. Long story short, This happened one more time --while this was going on--people one the shoreline were pointing at my boat --I can only imagine what they were saying! After about an hour , he/ she had enough and simply flew off to a nearby tree. No camera and before the time of phones with cameras. I can only speculate that the bird was a recovery bird and had lost some fear of humans. It was quite spectacular to say the least and I really had no idea how big these birds of prey were until I was up and close !!I'm a southern country boy and just don't understand how dirtballs can shoot these amazing creatures--H

Good story MR. Hornet. But you started it out wrong. Should of read ( This is no Bull) :)

That story is for the birds! :wink:

Actually, that's an AWESOME story! I'm very jealous! My daughter loves birds and got me into bird spotting since I would often try to spot them for her. Red tail hawks are a local favorite here. Boy, I can't imagine how much she would've loved it if it happened to us. I wonder if anyone posted pics of you motoring that hawk around - must have looked hilarious! :lol:

As noted in my other thread post, I once saw a group of 5 RTHs soaring overhead in the big town further away from me (near a large mall and I spotted them in an area behind a Toys R Us). I've also seen two sitting on a branch in a tree overlooking a field (was driving by and by the time I turned the car around they were gone). Normally they're not in my neighborhood; however one time I was in the backyard talking to my neighbor (who is an avid birder and seriously considered being a falconer at one point) and I was saying how I seem very lucky with spotting birds and then I saw a bird soaring directly overhead that looked unusual in this area and I asked her if that was a hawk...she replied "I don't think so...it's probably a turkey vulture" (common by us) - then I heard the characteristic screech and I yelled "IT'S A RED TAILED HAWK!!!" and I ran to tell my daughter and get my binoculars. :smile:

For those of you not in the know, the Red Tailed Hawk call may be one of the most famous bird calls...it is that identifiable sharp screech you often hear when they show a western scene or the desert. I think it is also the most used sound for eagles in TV shows, ads and movies since eagles sound quite wimpy and "chirpy" and directors rather them sound more awesome. :)

Got these shots this morning in front of my house...a group of swallow babies on a wire all waiting as their parents swooped around getting them food. They would be still until the parents came near and then they would all chitter for food. :)

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

2016-07-01%2007.53.10.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

Shot with a 100mm lens...I think I need 200mm. :blush:

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467577190.275094.jpgWhile birding a nearby Marsh recently, I was able to capture this Osprey with my iPhone attached to my spotting scope.

That's a cool shot! I love Ospreys!

One Spring I spotted a bird I didn't recognize and then to my surprise it dove into the lake from a high altitude! I suspect it was an osprey since I initially thought it was a hawk or falcon.

The two times I've seen peregrine falcons in the wild have been on the green river. Just below flaming Gorge Dam. https://www.flaminggorgeresort.com/media/Fishing1-Flaming-Gorge-217_79856_51177-1900x750.jpg The first time I was walking up the river from the first take out. five miles below the dam. So I was up from that about a mile and a half. At about 7:00 am. I here this mallard squawking up a storm, Just as I look up I see this falcon making a stoop on this duck. And he just barley misses. Then I watch the chase continue down the canyon and out of site.
The second time was almost in the same spot. And little later in the morning, Same thing I here this chipping look up to see this osprey flying towards me carrying a small rainbow in his feet,. He keeps looking over his shoulder . Then I see this peregrine about 40' behind him coming at full speed When the peregrine get to the osprey he starts doing barrel rolls around this osprey.
Every time he gets under the osprey he rolls over on his back and I can see him trying to grab the fish from the ospreys feet. Did this about four times before the osprey lands on the ground. No way in hell was he going to give up his breakfast.

A couple I have taken -
Osprey 1.jpg

hawk on fence.jpg

Have a ton more , the beauty of growing up in Fl and having a keen eye.....

Those are gorgeous! I love how the hawk form matches the fence so well!

Also how did you get so close to the first one? It looks almost like there is flash bounce back. :confused:

He / She was very young , had zero problem with me getting super close as it ate. I have several from that day.

20160516_150211.jpg

20160506_101444.jpg

Okay how to rotate pics ????

And now for something more obscure , an Acadian Flycatcher I photographed in my BY this spring: ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1467813776.616618.jpg

He / She was very young , had zero problem with me getting super close as it ate. I have several from that day.

View attachment 296049

View attachment 296050

Okay how to rotate pics ????

That's really cool to have the opportunity to get close enough for those shots! All too often I miss good shots since birds are so flighty. :)

To rotate pics in Windows, I first select the file, Right Click > Open With > Windows Photo Viewer > Rotate > Close program (or click "Next" button) and it's automatically saved rotated - I found this out when trying to view photos at different rotations and then later seeing that the viewer was automatically saving them that way.

And now for something more obscure , an Acadian Flycatcher I photographed in my BY this spring: View attachment 296141

Very cute! My family loves the chubby little birds. :) Where is BY?

According to the 2013 peer-reviewed study authored by scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, and the USFWS, bird mortality caused by outdoor cats, is estimated to be between 1.3 to 4.0 Billion individuals.

abcbirds.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Loss_et_al._2013-Impacts_Outdoor_Cats.pdf

Yup, I used to have a cat I would let outdoors until I read about how many birds a cat can kill (they usually don't bring back their kill) and not only that, I had friends which didn't have their cats return and it's heartbreaking to the family not knowing what happened to their family pet. Keep them indoors folks and everyone benefits! :)

Some newborns in the tree outback -

babybirds.jpg

Unfortunately they are Mocking birds - so that means they will start talking crap about 530 am everyday from here on out :facepalm:

Unfortunately they are Mocking birds - so that means they will start talking crap about 530 am everyday from here on out :facepalm:

Oh man...don't tell me about that one. I'm a very light sleeper and the birds have been making a ruckus as early as 4:30AM around me. The crank window over my bed angles just right to bounce the ruckus so that it sounds like it's over my head. I've decided to close the window and just use AC from here out (heat wave helped solve that one too ;)).

Here's a couple of my favorite pics.

Cooper's Hawk in my BY
DSCN0001.jpg

Bald Eagle at nest. I was told there were 2 young in the nest but couldn't see them.
DSCN0181.jpg

Belted Kingfisher
DSCN0282.jpg

Female Black Chinned Hummingbird with young on nest
DSCN0377.jpg

Here's a couple of my favorite pics.

Cooper's Hawk in my BY
View attachment 296282

Bald Eagle at nest. I was told there were 2 young in the nest but couldn't see them.
View attachment 296283

Belted Kingfisher
View attachment 296284

Female Black Chinned Hummingbird with young on nest
View attachment 296285

I'll have to say you've posted my family's favorites too! :) My daughter and I like hawks, my wife likes eagles (she routinely checks the eagle cams); I think Kingfishers are really cool and my daughter has always loved hummingbirds! :clap:

Just caught this.

We have had several late hatchings of Gambel's quail in our neighborhood recently. They are a joy to watch! We live on a golf course which is like a riparian area for many different birds. I don't usually take pictures of the doves, sparrows and hummingbirds that hang out here, but when I see something special, I try to get pic's of them.

Here are a pair of Harris hawks hunting in our back yard:
023.jpg

018.jpg

They had a young grackle trapped in a bush, but it's mother was harassing the hawks:
012.jpg

011.jpg

They eventually lost interest, and the grackle got away.

Here are some random shots taken on the Colorado river:
013.jpg

Pacific loon

005.jpg

Pie-billed Grebe

004.jpg

Ring necked duck

These shots were taken in Portal, AZ at a bed and breakfast we visited:

272.jpg

Broad billed Hummingbird

121.jpg

120.jpg

055.jpg

Lucifer Hummingbird (very rare)

108.jpg

Painted Redstart

100.jpg

098.jpg

Pyrrhuloxia

086.jpg

Rufous Hummingbird

084.jpg

Cardinal

070.jpg

Black chinned Hummingbird

049.jpg

Magnificent Hummingbird

030.jpg

Bridled Titmouse

I will dig up some more later.

Hard to pick a favorite from my collection, here is one. Pie-billed Grebe with a frog...

2006_10_28otter-frog-229cro.jpg

Some very incredible photos by everyone indeed!
I wish my Mom did not get all of our Pictures from Kenya, all 3400 and some odd put onto slides, but it was 1986, so that's just what you did when things like Vacations or Safaris were going to be long enough and wanted to be shared on a big screen.
She was still at the top of her game then, and the pics' are mostly National Geogrphic quality.
Someday, if I win the lottery, that's one of the things on my list. Get those damned Kenya Slides turned into digital format!!!
We don't even have a working slide projector anymore, but do have a screen.
For awhile, I would find them from time to time at yard sales with intact lenses, and some had remotes and auto advance, but then there were ones where the bulbs became too expensive to replace, and/or the auto advance would run the slide through some sort of mis-aligned or broken part damaging one of them.
Funny thing is, I think that now that I think about all of the slide projectors I've ever tinkered with, I could easily design and build one using a few springs, maybe some rubber bands for metering out controllable tension on the moving parts, and my paper, fiberglass and carbon fiber template construction techniques, which allow me to make precision items without needing metal, electricity or power tools.
It would require electrical skill to light it up, but I'm sure if I build it someone here can tell me where to source the lighting element.
I already have a design in mind just by thinking of it for the last few moments.
i could use the rearward portion of a mountain bike frame, as it features adjustable tensioner in the form of a shock absorber, plus two or more known axial alignment points.
It is also known to grow right in my backyard, thanks to my Boy who seems to be a scrap metal enthusiast, even though he only has one working Bike at a time. Atleast he's out there tinkering and learning stuff and asking me questions I can answer with tools and know how.:)

Anyhow, to my point.
When we were in Kenya, my Mom had everything from the Macro to the 300mm Telephoto for her Canon AE-1 Program with the auto winder and anything else that was available at the time in consumer grade cameras. I remember going with her to buy it, and how she meticulously discussed the details of each component with the salesman, who apparently had not been to Art School or had anything near my Mom's level of education, but she ended up buying all of the equipment anyway, all $3400 of it, which in 1986 was crazy now that I look back on it.
I learned a very important lesson that day. You can never have too much gear.
I was 8, but the lesson served me well in life, and my Mom and I still wear vests packed with possibles to this very day.
We went some places that the birds had not had anything but peaceful interactions with humans, and she has some shots of them landing and pooping on me, and just the craziest close-ups of birds.
She has a bunch of giant eagles carrying Snakes too that are pretty spectacular, but feature no reference point other then they were shot on 35mm film which was dutifully carried by me through all the metal detectors and X-Ray machines at the Airports, in Lead Bags, since film, even in immense quantities is fairly light. We'd have to open each one when they were inspected, and the ironic part was that upon landing at Kenyata International on the outskirts of Nairobi, there was an actual Terrorist Attack, but it was quickly quenched right before my eyes, before any civilian casualties or even the good guys with the British Sten Guns and Beretta M12s got to them.
Another lesson learned.
I'll likely be on the forum forever now, so when I do eventually get some of those slides made digital, I'll definitely share them in this thread.
Til' then, here's a Catbird that one of my Cats had, but was not punctured, and by making a loud noise, the Cat startled and dropped it.
I made sure my grip was correct, then brought in in for a quick photo, as I knew it would need to stay in my hand for anywhere from 0-15 minute to come out of shock and be able to safely fly and alight on a branch.
It did make me think it felt well enough at around five minutes so I let it go, but I'de misjudged it, and it made a short horizontal fight to a branch, where I quickly retrieved it, then doubled the original time of five minutes to ten minutes of quite hold.
when it began to wriggle a bit the second time, it was sink or swim for the Animal, as we were never meant to encounter each other in the first place, so I made a quick Eye Contact to make sure it was ready to run for real, then opened my hands, and it was able to fly away as if nothing had occurred to it.
Man!!! We are lucky to be bird enthusiasts!
Can you even imagine what a sheltered and desolate life it must be to not be able to take great Joy out of life by watching Birds fly around. It may sound like a simple pleasure to some folks, but I derive all sorts of data from simply watching them that make me a better modeller.

Little Bird 2015-06-09 001.jpg

Loves me some Birdwatching!

Last edited:
That's a great story, Top - thanks for sharing! Sounds like your mother has quite a treasure trove of pics...always cool to dig into someone's passion and see the results of all their labor. Plus it was great that she shared it with you (despite the bird poo ;)). :)

Well, here's a story with no pics so it must not be true. A few years ago I was trout fishing on the Chattahoochee river in GA. I was alone in my Creek Craft (sort of a 20hp-motorized canoe on steroids) anyway I heard something behind me and when I turned around there was a Red Tailed Hawk sitting on the back of the rear seat. To say the least I was surprised but the boy was big!! I kept my movements slow and deliberate but continued to fish, just amazed at this big ole bird sitting in the back of the boat. There is a raptor recovery center within a few hundred yards of my location so I figured this was an old patient. I caught a small trout and it's attention was focused on the fish as soon as I got it in the boat so I threw it down in the bottom of the boat. The bird jumped down and grabbed it and clamored back to the seat and proceeded to eat the trout. Long story short, This happened one more time --while this was going on--people one the shoreline were pointing at my boat --I can only imagine what they were saying! After about an hour , he/ she had enough and simply flew off to a nearby tree. No camera and before the time of phones with cameras. I can only speculate that the bird was a recovery bird and had lost some fear of humans. It was quite spectacular to say the least and I really had no idea how big these birds of prey were until I was up and close !!I'm a southern country boy and just don't understand how dirtballs can shoot these amazing creatures--H

The coolest stuff tends to only happen when you are not concerned about things like "Taking Selfies" and stuff like cameras in general.
I thank you for feeding the Bird the Trout, and it's cool that you know where the Bird Sanctuary is!
Too many people stumble through life and encounter wild animals, but are either scared of them, or have no compassion/empathy for them.
I pity those people as if they are the wild ones.

Back