For BARs Only

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Not really, but if you know the answer to this and aren't a BAR, you'll be an honorary one.

"Scott McCloud, Space Angel" was a cartoon produced from 1962 to 1964. The pictures were all still pictures, but when the characters spoke the actors' moving mouths were pasted in on the still picture face, just like the other cartoon from the same people, Clutch Cargo.

Scott's crew were the large red haired and bearded Taurus, and pretty Crystal, daughter of the chief scientist who operated the space station where Scott was based. Here's a link to a page about it, with a link on it to another: https://www.toontracker.com/spaceangel/spaceang.htm

That should serve to remind anyone who'd seen it. Now for the important question: Did Scott McCloud's ship have a name, and if so, what was it? I've already built it, I just want to know what to call it.

PS: For real trivia freaks, the voice of Taurus was done by Otis the drunk from the Andy Griffith Show.

Originally posted by DynaSoar

"Scott McCloud, Space Angel" was a cartoon produced from 1962 to 1964. The pictures were all still pictures, but when the characters spoke the actors' moving mouths were pasted in on the still picture face, just like the other cartoon from the same people, Clutch Cargo.

That process is called Syncro Vox.

The ship was the Starduster and its orbital base was the Evening Star.

I have plans to do the Starduster myself, I'd be interested in seeing how yours came out.

Remember Johnny Cypher in Dimension 0 or 8th Man?

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
That process is called Syncro Vox.

I have plans to do the Starduster myself, I'd be interested in seeing how yours came out.

Thanks. Frankly I can't recall many details about the cartoons, but I remember I was mightily impressed, especially by the ship.

Mine is a bash of an Estes Bull Pup with BT5 wing pods and 1/4 styrene tube for the rudder nacelle with angled slices of the same for the other widgets on the rudder.

I'll have pics when I can pick up a camera, might take a week or two.

Originally posted by Elapid
*snicker*

i'm too young to remember that one!
;)

We should start a write in campaign to the Toon Network. Space Angel was better than Space Ghost. Not quite educational, but at least they made an effort at realism. The space station looked like a Willy Ley/Chesley Bonestall design.

They quit making it 40 years ago. Should be cheap enough for them to pick up.

BTW, Starduster is presently drying its sealer coat. Should be done in plenty of time for CATO.

the big problem there is that Space Angel was not a Hanna-Barbera production. That's why you haven't seen it, or any of the Filmation toons as well.

I remember watching 8th Man in glorious Black & White in the late 1960's. It was broadcast on one of the the 'independent' Los Angeles TV stations.

I didn't know at the time that it was a Japanese import (Anime). Maybe someone will license and release it on DVD in the future...

Careful what you wish for. I've had fond memories of certain cartoons, only to have them thoroughly shattered when they're aired on Boomerang (Cartoon Network's repository for really old toons). Then I'm thinking, not only did I waste thirty minutes of my life at age 12, I just lost another thirty watching it AGAIN.

I'm kinda giggling at this thread - the answer to the original question (the name of the spaceship Starduster) is on the pages that are linked to above... :p

Originally posted by Fore Check
I'm kinda giggling at this thread - the answer to the original question (the name of the spaceship Starduster) is on the pages that are linked to above... :p

Of course it is.

Of course I didn't see it.

The thread IS entitled "For BARs Only" is it not?

Well then. Nobody gets to the position of revered elder with all their brain cells intact. You'll just have to confuse me, I'm a bit excused.

They used to show both Scott McCloud and Clutch Cargo on "Garfield Goose" (or was it "Ray Rayner"?) on WGN here in Chicago back in the '60s and '70s.

I do mostly recall both being pretty cheesy...even to a 7-year-old's eye.

(BTW, what graylensman's referring to is that Ted Turner paid a boatload for the entire Hanna-Barbera library when he started Cartoon Network. Thus, that's what they play a lot of. They also play a lot of Warner Brothers, since Time Warner is now Turner's parent company.)

Originally posted by kenobi65
They used to show both Scott McCloud and Clutch Cargo on "Garfield Goose" (or was it "Ray Rayner"?) on WGN here in Chicago back in the '60s and '70s.

It was on Garfield Goose, with Frazier Thomas, same guy who hosted the weekly "Family Classics". Ray Rayner sometimes sat in for Frazier, but mostly did his own show, with Chelveston the Duck, as well as being Sandy the Clown on Bozo's Circus. They may have run the cartoons on Ray Rayner sometimes, but they were mainstays of Garfield Goose.

BTW, the original Bozo was Willard Scott, before becoming a morning TV weatherman. Ray Rayner was originally a weatherman, in Alburquerque, before becoming a clown and then having his own show.

See: Events: CATO Launch July 17th: near bottom of thread.
Other pics when I fill the camera.

Here's some better pictures. It's hard to call it scale, since the pen drawing versions had it much stubbier than the cartoon versions. I tried to make it between the two. The cockpit windows were cut from Pactra striping tape, since it would conform to the nose curvature better than thicker vinyl sheet. After a lot of white satin finish I gave it a top coat of primer for a flat look. I used relatively thick 1/8" basswood fins, for a more "realistic" look. Amazingly, it was stable without adding nose weight. The higher drag on the wing nacelles makes it arc over a little in flight, but not a whole lot, and besides it arcs over rudder-up, just like the real thing.

Back