• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale For amusement only! Old book, supposedly on making APCP & motors. $1 ppd in US

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Book is FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY! (Post is also for amusement, I hope.)

Price represents my opinion of actual practical value...:D

When I was learning about APCP in the late 80s and 90s the internet wasn't too well-developed so I bought every practical-info book I could find on the subject. After a time it was clear that the amount of information available greatly exceeded the amount of knowledge. Much like today's internet...:)

That being said I present to you "Composite Addendum", 52 pages, copyright 1996, apparently a supplement to "Rocket Recipes Book 1", whatever that might have been.
1699271502593.png

It's clear from professional publications and manufacturer's descriptions that one of the three propellant procedures simply cannot work. I tried it anyway but I was rather younger, quite inexperienced, and prone to wishful thinking. Good thing that the actual hazard was quite low.

The book has hundreds of "recipes" for motors; one page is shown below. Note the dimensions for one of the more sketchy/dodgy recipes, N1342. Don't worry mods, it's just dimensions, though they might just be random numbers. Propellant 39.2" long, 3.3" diameter. "Segments" (grains) 0.82" long, 0.33" core (so a 48-grain motor). Nozzle throat 0.53". Per my former occupation I shall leave evaluation of this and the other recipes as an exercise for the student.:)

1699274654901.png

My semi-professional evaluation, now that I'm about 30 years older and perhaps a little wiser:

1699273292263.jpeg
Hope you enjoyed this!

I have that book and the first, will have to dig around and find them, along with my old Teleflite books

I have that book and the first, will have to dig around and find them, along with my old Teleflite books
GD, if you find it, could you screen shot and post the first two pages? I may or may not have written the intro to that, (uncredited) after a copy was sent for review and critique. No joke. I was pretty busy back on the day and it kinda rings a bell. Intro emphasis on PPE and chems playing well with each other. I do remember it had a red, white and blue cover. Hell, I don't even remember the final title or if my suggestion to include the periodic table made it to the publishers. Sux getting old. The bad thing about getting old is all your friends die. The good thing about getting old is all your friends die. Al Ziemmer is my new friend. Along with all the squirrels...

Back