FlightSketch Tilt Data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
I noticed on the FlightSketch website that there are tilt graphs for user Gtg738w whom I assume is Russ. Here's one:

https://flightsketch.com/flights/2401/

I wonder if this is a web software change and will work with all flights going forward?

Attachments

• Tilt Graph.jpg
    Tilt Graph.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 13
Maybe the tilt recording now works with the FS Mini also?

I don't think so. I'm flying the latest firmware in my Minis and Comps (FW 29) and I do not see the data on my flights. Of course Russ might be flying some later version of the app, too. But what good would that data be on the Mini....when you don't know in what orientation the device needs to be for the data to make sense?

Could the FS Mini know which way is up by recording the direction of the force of gravity right before the launch?

At this point I'll defer to Russ to explain what's really going on. I'm sure software could do what you say....but why one would write it for a simple recording altimeter, I don't know. But for a deployment controller, where perhaps one would NOT want to fire a charge if things were tilted too far, I can see it.

Still experimental for now but will probably make it to a product if we can get the parts for it. Needs more hardware than the Mini and Comp have. The Mini can sense its orientation before launch and uses that to assign positive (up) acceleration. Once it’s flying though, gravity alone is no longer a good source for attitude. Rockets tend to be pretty dynamic after liftoff and the accelerometer just sees a big axial force.

Latest posts

Back