Flight Controller Testing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys! Im developing a new flight controller system for a entrepreneurship project at my school and would like some data for a project. Its a all in one fc package that includes the following:

* 9DOF IMU
* 300hz Barometer
* GPS
* 2 TVC outputs
* Wireless app to configure PID
* Fuse ignition system
* Automatic Parachute Deployment
* Directional Targeting System (for landing in a certain zone only)

And the best part for you? Its completely free in this phase of testing im doing this as i want data for my project and i want it tested on a variety of rockets, im willing to cover all costs and ship it out you! (US only for now)

What i need from you:

* A picture of the FC connected and wired in your rocket
* Your rocket
* A video stating your name, where you are located, and if you liked my product or not (feel free to say it was garbage if you want but i would like honest opinions)

If you are interested, please fill out this form:

https://forms.gle/zamaA48MRMWsGa3m6

Thank You!

DISCLAIMER: Not my fault if u decide to use this for bad

Hi Guys! Im developing a new flight controller system for a entrepreneurship project at my school and would like some data for a project. Its a all in one fc package that includes the following:

* 9DOF IMU
* 300hz Barometer
* GPS
* 2 TVC outputs
* Wireless app to configure PID
* Fuse ignition system
* Automatic Parachute Deployment
* Directional Targeting System (for landing in a certain zone only)

And the best part for you? Its completely free in this phase of testing im doing this as i want data for my project and i want it tested on a variety of rockets, im willing to cover all costs and ship it out you! (US only for now)

What i need from you:

* A picture of the FC connected and wired in your rocket
* Your rocket
* A video stating your name, where you are located, and if you liked my product or not (feel free to say it was garbage if you want but i would like honest opinions)

If you are interested, please fill out this form:

https://forms.gle/zamaA48MRMWsGa3m6

Thank You!

DISCLAIMER: Not my fault if u decide to use this for bad
What school?

Hi! theres a reason i specified (for landing in a certain zone only).

This isnt a ICBM or something, I only want it to stay in a certain zone when landing (ie within 10 feet of starting coordinates)

Where im from, im (pretty sure) its legal to do this, as it works completley on tilt and stabilization control, however if it makes you uncomfortable I can remove it from the list of added features!

This is still a idea in progress as well and any and all feedback is appreiciated!

Thank You

Last edited:
Ok i think i phrased it wrong, but a better way to phrase it would be "location based landing system" would that still be illegal?

Ok i think i phrased it wrong, but a better way to phrase it would be "location based landing system" would that still be illegal?
I don't think the problem is the phrasing as much as it's the feature of guidance with powered or ballistic flight. IIRC bps.space tried to do precision/guided landing just for an egg drop project for someone (Mark Rober) and ran into this exact problem. I don't think his self-landing rocket was guided to a precise location, just stabilized and upright.

Last edited:
Hmm yea, im not even self landing it my idea was that it would see where it was when its at the apogee and change its trajectory slightly so that it ends up near the start location, would that be ok?

Hmm yea, im not even self landing it my idea was that it would see where it was when its at the apogee and change its trajectory slightly so that it ends up near the start location, would that be ok?
Probably not, the FFA really doesn’t want a rocket going anywhere on purpose. If I was doing TVC I’d make it so that it just maintains the status quo.

That's why you angle the launch rail though. It takes practice to do it well, but you can't anticipate all the movement of the air that might affect its decent. Even without guidance, people have landed their rockets within spitting distance of the launch pad even with an apogee over 1000s of feet. Albeit, those are often matters of luck... but it would be way better to design a launch pad that optimizes the launch angle.

E: From an entrepreneur standpoint, I don't know of a launch pad with electronic launch angle optimization and that would be awesome to have. Whereas, there have been plenty attempts to make flight computers, as well as some open source ones. You'd have more room in the launch pad niche than flight computer niche. Not discouraging you, if you want to make a flight computer, do it! I made my own solution too lol

E2: Also, you might be biting off a lot to chew if you want to put this on any rocket and do something at apogee to optimize the landingzone location: the vertical velocity at decent depends on the parachute's Cd and diameter, which will effect the amount of time it spends "falling". So depending on the parachute, your rocket may travel laterally for a function of time depending on the parachute which is not guaranteed to be accurate or consistent even with the same rocket on the same motor. The maneuver at apogee optimizing the landing zone would still be entirely up to luck: the parachute deploys on time and completely, the rocket makes it to the predicted altitude, the vertical speed is consistent enough that it will be able to predict time for decent, etc.

Last edited:
This is not something we do in hobby rocketry. Tell us more about your intentions.
The missile knows where it is. It does this by knowing where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is, whichever is greater, the missile can get its location.

The missile knows where it is. It does this by knowing where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is, whichever is greater, the missile can get its location.
so if it makes sure it isn't where it shouldn't be it will end up where it should be? Subtractive navigation. Instead of integrating the location would it disintegrate the data.....

Landing close to the pad certainly is cool, but such a capability could be used for nefarious purposes, such as shooting a load of (bad stuff) at another place to do harm or mischief.

If you made it radio controlled, you would need to register with the FAA, put the registration marking on the outside, and install a remote ID module.

Give it up.

so if it makes sure it isn't where it shouldn't be it will end up where it should be? Subtractive navigation. Instead of integrating the location would it disintegrate the data.....
Im attempting to basically reverse engineer the kalman filters so that it can make assumptions along the line of "wind is currently pushing me this far this way over this long, so to correct for it on the way down i need to go this far in the opposite direction" (very simple example it will be more complex for more complex wind patterns)

Landing close to the pad certainly is cool, but such a capability could be used for nefarious purposes, such as shooting a load of (bad stuff) at another place to do harm or mischief.

If you made it radio controlled, you would need to register with the FAA, put the registration marking on the outside, and install a remote ID module.

Give it up.
Well i mean u could do that with a cheap estes rocket too so whats the point. Also, I can and will register with remote id if necessary.

Anyways for the time being, il be experimenting with that on my own, and my production PCB of this flight controller will not have that feature

Let me know if theres any other features that might be cool or unique i could do!

Im attempting to basically reverse engineer the kalman filters so that it can make assumptions along the line of "wind is currently pushing me this far this way over this long, so to correct for it on the way down i need to go this far in the opposite direction" (very simple example it will be more complex for more complex wind patterns)
You are not listening.

If one idiot gets caught with a guided missile, the knee jerk reaction of the authorities will be to shut down this hobby nationwide.

not to be that guy but.....

If this is for a entrepreneurship project, and everyone on here told you not only that it could be illegal to have and or make and or sell one, and no one would want to use it because of the laws, regulations etc (tripoli - NAR non starter) . Plus shipping it out of the country would likely be against ITAR regulations. Additionally I'm not sure if you are in violation of FCC regulations.....

What is the potential market and your return on investment? with our without legal fees and potential liability. What is the total addressable market.

Take away the 'steering' part of it, how does it compare to the competitive market?

Sorry, just wondering.

Mike (ruining kids dreams all over the place) K

My idea entails making a cheap fc that has as many features as the 200-600$ ones bps space sells, for something as low as 30-40$, allowing new teams to get into rocketry easily and safely without having to worry about stuff like "is my parachute gonna deploy" which is a huge safety hazard in itself.

Also, im not familar with the laws surrounding this so advice would be much appreciated

I intend to have 0 roi on this product, its soley being made out of good will

Anyways, right now im just prototyping ideas for said competiton, if you have any other rocketry based ideas you would like to see made on a large/cheap scale please do let me know

I currently go to a highschool, and we have a entrepreneurship project every year

This year i wanted to do one of my hobbies, rocketry, while making a useful product in the process,

heres more information: https://sites.google.com/dublinusd....tion/2023-entrepreneur-competition?authuser=0
Thanks for replying to that question. I certainly don’t mean to discourage you from doing safe and legal things. If rocketry is already your hobby, it sounds like you could benefit from flying with a local club. If you’re in Dublin CA that would be LUNAR: http://www.lunar.org/

There are lots of things you could do with rocketry electronics that are legal and safe. Best of luck to you in creating something within those bounds.

Yes, I already have a rocketry team in which we do ARC. They arent very experienced in legalities regarding this as well however unfortunately. Il definitely check out lunar however, thank you.

Good luck on your project. It sounds ambitious which is good. You will learn alot. My advice is ignore the legal naysayers. Your biggest challenge (which will be steep) is getting it to work. Only then will you have to research the former. Nice problem to have. Go for it!

If you are successful I fully expect for you to go to MIT or CalTech.

colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

My idea entails making a cheap fc that has as many features as the 200-600$ ones bps space sells, for something as low as 30-40$, allowing new teams to get into rocketry easily and safely without having to worry about stuff like "is my parachute gonna deploy"
please do some research to figure out state of the art in rocket flight controllers. they aren't $600, several are available at your target $30-$40. Find out what they do, how they work. Some are very highly evolved, you would not be able to do better at that price.

meanwhile, do proceed with developing a passive recording device. you will have plenty of fun learning about embedded systems, programming, real time, sensors, data filtering and reduction, and lots of mathematics along the way. enjoy the journey, it's the trip not the destination that is most fun.

Within that price range, it isn't happening. Just the Teensy microcontroller is $20-ish, and so are the breakout boards for the IMU, etc. I would aim for about $100 for a prototype, then make it smaller from there.

if you have any other rocketry based ideas you would like to see made on a large/cheap scale please do let me know
I second the idea of launch pad automation. I've thought more than once I'd like a pad that I could automatically and precisely change the angle and direction (perhaps with a phone app). Combined with good wind data and rocket simulations, it should be possible to get rockets to land pretty close to the pad.

For onboard electronics, I would be most interested in miniaturization. Electronics that fit in smaller diameter body tubes. This probably doesn't interest all that many people, because most are building bigger rockets when they want to add electronics, but for myself, I like small rockets (and cheap motors).

If you are looking at doing something this advanced, why do you need one of us to fly it for you? Building the rocket seems to be the easy part. You'll need an adult to handle the engine if you're looking at a higher power build, but that should be easy to arrange locally. So aside from the legal questions, this ask doesn't add up for me. I'd steer clear.

Back