First HP Rocket: LOC IV (Major Tom)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bibbster

Reaction score
I found a great deal on this kit and I said to myself, "Self, why not try for your first certification into HP rocketry?!" And of course, self said, "Heck yeah!"

Before I did any building, I knew I wanted a special 'paint' job for this one since it will be several firsts; first 4" rocket, first certification, and first wrap/skin. So I embarked on designing the graphics and came up with 'Major Tom', not the Peter Schylling Major, but rather that of David Bowie. I did a full scale black and white mock up, because that is what any good graphic designing rocket builder would do. The black and white doesn't do it any justice, so I attached the artwork for your viewing pleasure. Once I have the artwork finalized, I'll get to work on the build.

20181129_140259.jpg

Fin 1 has an astronaut on one side with the art wrapping around to the other side. Fin 2 has the moon surface on both sides. Fin 3 has some of the lyrics that were 'spoken' my Major Tom to Ground Control.

The nose cone is a simple fade from white to yellow and also features lyrics around the base of its circumference, words spoken by Ground Control to Major Tom.

The body tube features the Milky Way galaxy and the name of the rocket, with a 60's font and some double drop shadow in psychedelic 60's colors.

20181129_140259.jpg body tube.PNG Fins 1 2 and 3.PNG Nose cone.PNG

I approve this message. Looks great! How will you map the nose cone graphic on to the non-developable surface of the nose cone?

Thanks, boatgeek! I will cut the fade graphic into three pieces. There will, of course, be a seam edge in three places, but it will hardly be noticeable. I wanted to do an actual geometric to fit the nose cone, but that takes too much real estate on an already pricey 'sticker' project. The sticker is thin and when heat is applied it stretches easily, which will help it to conform to the nose cone. The text will be a separate yellow band that will wrap around the nose cone after the fade graphic is applied.

Nice! I've been on a Bowie kick since the heavy lit off in february.

Level 1 is really quite simple if using standard H motors, you'll do fine. I recall an article by Apogee about taking the side profile of the cone, squishing it so 4 fit along the base of the graphic (circumference), and cutting out the excess which left very light seams. An xacto could probably trim off the excess if careful.

Thanks for the compliment, Nytrunner!

I do plan on a standard H motor, but if it can go wrong, well, I'm the guy it will happen to. lol I'll be getting the graphics printed by Mark at Sticker Shock, and using his procedure for the nose cone, which sounds a lot like what you describe from Apogee, and what I described earlier. I'll see if I can track down that article from Apogee though, to be sure I'm going down the path of least resistance.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jarrett! I'm looking forward to getting the stickers put on, which hopefully will be between now and Christmas. There is a little extra real estate on the print layout which I am trying to fill with other designs for rockets, models, and whatever else I can come up with. lol

Excellent choice for Level 1 Cert.!

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much time as you are making it look great...

The Veterans are going to be watching your first launch to see if there's any rotation or stuff like that... and patiently they'll be watching you walk to recover it.

You see my drift?

*Build a fiberglass tail cone, helps protect the fins on landing... everybody loves a nice tail!!!

JP

JP! Thanks for the reply! I'll take those things into consideration. I feel like I may need to get a new pair of walking shoes in lieu of a tail cone. lol

Interestingly enough, I had planned to join MSRS, but I have sent messages and received no responses. I even signed up for the newsletter and...nothing. Who do I need to contact about membership as well as doing my L1 at the MSRS launch site?

While I will always say that so long as you are operating within the parameters of the rules there is no wrong way to certify.

That said, there are those that choose to certify in style. This definitely qualifies. Sure would like to see pics of this all complete. Great theme and good luck!

JP! Thanks for the reply! I'll take those things into consideration. I feel like I may need to get a new pair of walking shoes in lieu of a tail cone. lol

Interestingly enough, I had planned to join MSRS, but I have sent messages and received no responses. I even signed up for the newsletter and...nothing. Who do I need to contact about membership as well as doing my L1 at the MSRS launch site?
MSRS may be slow this time of year.
Go to their Facebook page, you should be able to get a response better there.
They have a great place to Certify/Launch.

I'm not sure who is their best contact person would be...

I hope that helps.

BTW, I replaced the chute with a 1 foot larger one from TheRocketMan.
I don't remember the original size maybe 36", so I purchased a 48".

While I will always say that so long as you are operating within the parameters of the rules there is no wrong way to certify.

That said, there are those that choose to certify in style. This definitely qualifies. Sure would like to see pics of this all complete. Great theme and good luck!

Glad you like it, Dave. I will definitely post pics once I have it done. I'm still working on other artwork to be printed at the same time to save me some money.

MSRS may be slow this time of year.
Go to their Facebook page, you should be able to get a response better there.
They have a great place to Certify/Launch.

I'm not sure who is their best contact person would be...

I hope that helps.

BTW, I replaced the chute with a 1 foot larger one from TheRocketMan.
I don't remember the original size maybe 36", so I purchased a 48".

I'm not much of a Facebook user. Oh well.

Did that size of a chute slow the decent too much? I don't want to walk three miles to find my rocket even though I'll have new walking shoes. lol

I'm not much of a Facebook user. Oh well.

Did that size of a chute slow the decent too much? I don't want to walk three miles to find my rocket even though I'll have new walking shoes. lol
No, the LOC VI isn't a light ship but I can't imagine how it would feel to watch a fin break off! Then it's called "The walk of Shame". Not really...

My landing only drifted around 400 yards from the pad.

JP

On your behalf I posted a message on MSRS's Facebook page earlier today.

So, hang in there!

JP

I, too, am building a LOC IV for my level I attempt in February. My problem is......motors. So far I have only found two suppliers for high power motors, and I have a Cesaroni 2-grain 38mm case. I would like to make my attempt without the JLCR but openrocket says the only thing I can find (H143 Smoky Sam) will take me to 2200', a bit high without a chute release. Any help would be appreciated!

Do you know if motor vendors will be at the club where you certify?
If not, try wildman, csrocketry, offwego rocketry, moto-joe, apogee etc

Hmmm, beyond creating your own chute reafing system, not sure what you can do about changing that.

What surface are you landing on, and how fast can you come down? Smaller chute could reduce drift, but the rearward swept fins will take the brunt of landing.

Added weight could bring down your apogee, but then you have to look at your chute size again to make sure you're not killing the landing.

Good luck!

Ken Allen (Performance Hobbies) will not be at a launch until April. I may try reefing, I plan on using a Sky Angle chute instead of what came with the LOC IV. We launch at a sod farm, but I have the uncanny ability to hit the hardest surfaces around, usually a bridge for the center pivot irrigation system or an access road!

I got my L1 with that rocket on an H123. Practiced and practiced with G64s until I was ready for the cert. Numerous perfect flights and on the cert flight the parachute somehow got tangled, didnt even open. Rocket came down a little hard but surprisingly zero damage. I built it strong. Got my cert.

The stickers have arrived! Now to get busy on the build! A huge thanks to Mark at Stickershock for working with me to turn my artwork into what I hope to be a great looking rocket!

I want to be able to use both 38mm and 29mm motors. Any suggestions on a simple and wallet friendly way to do that?

Attachments

• 20190205_111000.jpg
    20190205_111000.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 76
Well, life has been nuts. Job loss on 12/31/18 (but I start a new one Monday!), sickness, crazy weather, too many other projects, you know how it goes...

I have finished Major Tom successfully and am hoping to launch in April. Here are some progress pics and the final pics. Thanks again to Mark at Stickershock for printing my decals for me!

Attachments

• 20190311_101229.jpg
    20190311_101229.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190311_100717.jpg
    20190311_100717.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190311_100654.jpg
    20190311_100654.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190311_100640.jpg
    20190311_100640.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190315_160823.jpg
    20190315_160823.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190311_100231.jpg
    20190311_100231.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190211_120005.jpg
    20190211_120005.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190211_110506.jpg
    20190211_110506.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190207_145445.jpg
    20190207_145445.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20190207_133455.jpg
    20190207_133455.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 94
I have been playing Open Rocket trying to figure out which motor to use. I know I want an H and a one time use motor for the first launch. And ideally a realistic liftoff, not a streak, if possible. I've plugged in all the data that I can think of and picked a few motors, a couple of which appear to be okay for use. I would, however, appreciate assistance from you guys since this is my first HPR. I have attached the .ork file as well for those that would like to provide input.

Attachments

• Major Tom Data.png
    Major Tom Data.png
    177 KB · Views: 65
  • LOC IV_Major Tom_bibbster.ork
    2.8 KB · Views: 30
...I would, however, appreciate assistance from you guys since this is my first HPR. I have attached the .ork file as well for those that would like to provide input.

If you built 38, I would suggest going with the 38mm Aerotech single use H100. It has enough thrust to weight to get you off a normal length guide, but should give a more "majestic" liftoff that higher thrust motors. It does make video and photos easier than a fast launch.

If it is 29 mm then I would look at the Aerotech H115 Dark Matter. Also plenty of thrust to weight but not a neck-breaking lift-off. And the Dark Matter is a fun propellent.

I would not recommend a chute release or any other complications for a cert flight. Keep it simple and just get the cert. Walking is good exercise anyway.

Thank you for the input, Dave. It is built for 38mm, but I have a 29mm adapter. I will look into both of your suggested motors.

The only addon i have is the altimeter. Nothing fancy, so it should go along for the ride just fine and without any complication.

Back