• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

First ever scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanarin

Reaction score
So... what happens when you get a boring evening, a spare kit you have no need for, and leftover inserts from a Mega Mosquito? Well a good idea for a scratch build, that's what.

So throwing in the design into Openrocket, I got this:

I am a bit concerned about the stability on this one, but in theory it SHOULD all be OK. Simulations have this rocket hitting a possible 1600 ft on a C6-5, but I dunno if I would ever dare touch that on this rocket once complete. Only question I have before I continue is should I consider adding a small amount of nose weight to this, or should the stability be fine once I launch it?

Be aware once you push the button-your recovery system will shift under g-loads. Mite now be enuff mass to be concerned about, but the Cg/Cp is a little close.

I too think that Cg is a little too close. For that diameter, aim for 1 to 1.5. Just one man's opinion.

Willie

Be aware once you push the button-your recovery system will shift under g-loads. Mite now be enuff mass to be concerned about, but the Cg/Cp is a little close.

I'm on board with that evaluation. It's a bit short coupled so a little more bt length would be better (best choice) or a bit of weight in the tip. Since your using off the shelf parts the weight in the nose might be your only option. If I had to call it I'd say you would have a safe flight as it is but I THINK it might kick over a bit and then get stable as the speed goes up and the motor mass falls off.

OK, well what I actually did was added about 50mm to the thing and it brought it up to 1.83 cal. So guess that solves the problem of noseweight. Only thing I am really missing now is a 6 inch parachute. I tried testfitting a 12, and the fit will be a little tight given the length. Though I may also do dual 30 in. streamers, speed is a bit fast though at 40 fps according to openrocket. I was going to use marking tape as my streamer material.

Any updates?

Heh, I was about to actually post one when I saw this.

Anyway, managed to put it together. By the time I made the change to a longer tube though, I already had the original tube glued in. It can't fit a 12" too well, but I still feel a 6" will be just fine, if not streamers.

Again, KINDA worried about how the fall rate sims on Openrocket, but then again I dunno how accurate it is with streamers.

What did OR show the CP to CG with smaller fins?You might put a foil on the leading and trailing edge if you want more height.But a cool looking design.When I have large fins made from balsa,I paper them.That makes a very strong fin.

Back