First dual deploy: which altimeter? GPS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomSmith58

Reaction score
I read a lot of the threads and I see that the RRC3 is recommended for newbies. I appreciate the advice given by the old hands.

I am still worried about losing my rocket. I have a Mariah 54. I plan on going for my Level 1 this June at ROCstock with my Honest John. If that works I will fly my Mariah on a three grain 38mm CTI. That is a modest load and won't send my rocket too high.

Later I plan to use the maximum load I can and still be in Level 1. Will I need GPS and telemetry?

Next year I plan to go for my Level 2 with my Mariah. When I max that out I will go 2.4 miles high. Will I need GPS and telemetry then?

I am thinking I could get the Telemetrum at the same time I get my 54mm motor case set. Does that sound wise?

Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

FWIW, I did many fairly low simple DD flights before moving on to high altitudes, tracking, etc. There's no need to rush and there's a lot of stuff to get right for DD.

I like the RRC3 because it is full featured at a very reasonable price .. the RRC2+ does not report Velocity.

Also it is easy to set up .. one wire per hole on the terminal block .. labeled - did not need wiring diagram. That helps with the first flights. Also they are well supported ..usually can find an answer if asked or borrow a cable/lcd without buying initially.

Originally I bought a Adept22 and used as a backup altimeter after I could afford a Raven, sold the Adept22 when the RRC3 came out. You don't have to figure out all possible scenarios for the one purchase- you can buy for today and retask or resell later if you upgrade or your needs change.

Kenny

Hi Tom, If you have a Mariah 54, you are going to want to know how fast it is going. I would go with RRC3 for overall price and awesomeness. My choice would be to keep the L1 and L2 flights conservative and then progressively max it out. But there are people who max out a min. diameter rocket for L2. Telemetrum is nice but cost a lot more. Keep in mind for a max performance of a minimum diameter rocket, a number of things could go wrong. How much are you willing to risk in electronics costs if rocket crashes? You could put in a Comm Spec radio tracker for $100. Receiver is more, but you might be able to borrow a receiver at a launch. People go to 2.5 miles all of the time without gps, but I would recommend a tracker of some kind. Good luck with your flights. Keep us posted. I will be interested to know how much motor the M54 can take.

Very happy with the RRC3 here , tracking wise on the 2.4 mile high flight at least a BRB 70cm RF under $100.00 with battery and charger but ham license needed

new option is eggfinder GPS under $100.00

we fly near Lake Icky so $$$ exposure is a consideration here

I got rid of my Droid and I am waiting for the iPhone version to come out...if ever.

We can't communicate with the iPhone bluetooth stack because of restrictions placed in the iPhone -- you have to purchase Apple's special BlueTooth chip, and then you have to get permission from Apple to sell a device that connects over BlueTooth with the phone.

Note that any inexpensive Android Tablet with BlueTooth and GPS can also be used with TeleBT, and that way your phone doesn't have to get exposed to the elements at a rocket launch.

That's only for regular Bluetooth fwiw. Bluetooth LE ( I.e bt4, low power) has no such limitation. It's also not subject to Apple's silly MFI (made for iphone) program. IPhone 4s and 5s have this. Doing a project right now with arduino devices talking to an iphone via this method

That's only for regular Bluetooth fwiw. Bluetooth LE ( I.e bt4, low power) has no such limitation.

We'd heard that might be possible, but our current TeleBT products don't support Bluetooth LE as it requires different hardware. We'll be looking to redesign that at some point, and will try to find a Bluetooth LE-compatible solution.

Yeah LE is it's own radio, etc. i am using an arduino Bluetooth LE shield for my proto fwiw

I got rid of my Droid and I am waiting for the iPhone version to come out...if ever.

So the iPhone will be a huge handicap. With my Galaxy Note II and my Telemetrum , I have advance live telemetry

Screenshot_2014-04-09-11-57-09.jpgScreenshot_2014-04-09-11-57-18.jpg

Well, the Missile Works units are nice, but I'm just not convinced that baro-only units are the way to go (for any reason other than price). I'm trying out the TeleMetrum myself in a current project, and so far I like what I see.

Well, the Missile Works units are nice, but I'm just not convinced that baro-only units are the way to go (for any reason other than price).

I agree, money is an object (for most), however, I also believe reasons like "ease of use" and "buy and fly" factors should be part of the conversation as this is a first dual-deploy thread...

I also believe reasons like "ease of use" and "buy and fly" factors should be part of the conversation as this is a first dual-deploy thread...

Yeah, that's why we built the EasyMini -- reasonably priced, and you really don't have to do anything more than install it and turn it on.

Back