Fin shape in OpenRocket and RockSim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to model a somewhat complex fin shape in OpenRocket and RockSim. I must say, plotting the points in either of these excellent and amazing programs is somewhat difficult. Doing so in OpenRocket, I find, is even a bit more cumbersome than in RockSim.

Here is my question, please.

I don't want the the first point to have coordinates of (0,0). Let's say that I want the first coordinate to be (0,5). I cannot seem to make this happen with either OR or RS. In other words, I cannot get rid of the (0,0) point and replace it with (0,5).

Does anyone have any suggestions to accomplish this task?

Thank you.

Stanley

In OR at least, first point is always 0,0, by definition. That does not limit you in anyway, it just dictates which point you have to start with.

For complex shapes, sometimes the easiest way is to import an image:
1616291687899.png
In the image, use white background and a solid black shape for the fin. Try experimenting with it, it works pretty well.

In OR at least, first point is always 0,0, by definition. That does not limit you in anyway, it just dictates which point you have to start with.

For complex shapes, sometimes the easiest way is to import an image:
View attachment 456357
In the image, use white background and a solid black shape for the fin. Try experimenting with it, it works pretty well.
I’ve never tried that yet. Does it need to be a scan or can it be a picture?

I don't want the the first point to have coordinates of (0,0). Let's say that I want the first coordinate to be (0,5). I cannot seem to make this happen with either OR or RS. In other words, I cannot get rid of the (0,0) point and replace it with (0,5).
As Neil said, this can't be done in OR. What are you trying to do that makes it necessary?

Make your second point with the desired x position and 0.0 as the y position. This moves the starting point lower than the 0x:0y initial point. Handy for modeling fins with a point higher on the BT, than the start of the root edge, as on the HyperBat.
.Hyperbat.JPG

Back