Fin Guides from Qualman Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidQ

Reaction score
For part of my massive builds that I did last year, I designed some tools for faster builds. Some of these are now being offered from Qualman Rocketry.

The first are precision laser-cut fin guides capable of holding up to 12 fins at once.

These fin guides are quite full featured. They include markings for locating where to put the fins, slots to hold all fins at the same time, T-mounts for special rockets like Jayhawks and Triskelions, rulers, and tube marking guides.

Low-cost rocket stands are also being produced. They'll keep your rockets aiming skyward, and not resting on their fins.

Also, check out the centering ring packs - which all include at least 8 rings - and bulk packs of fin guides made especially for the classroom environment.

Big_Bertha_and_Package.jpg

Guide_Set.jpg

RS18.jpg

that is really a great idea. I wish I had this a month ago building my last rocket.

well done!

Those fin guides look brilliant! How about sizing for popular HPR airframe sizes, like 29mm to 6" airframe options bought in pairs?

Re HPR-- what tubes are the popular ones? These go on the OD so wall thickness plays a role. LOC 3" is smaller than PML phenolic, for instance. A smooth fit is important, I think, vs making them too big and using tape to make up the difference. Maybe I am wrong?

Beautiful design, this is a great example of what lasers can do in the hands of a skilled designer!

N

excellent idea, yup, would like to see these in MPR/HPR maybe up to 6" tubing?

Those fin guides look brilliant! How about sizing for popular HPR airframe sizes, like 29mm to 6" airframe options bought in pairs?
That's a good idea. I'll put some thought into it. As Wingarcher points out, there can be more variety in HPR tube size than at the BT-sizes, so I'll consider how to provide for that - without using tape to make up the difference.

The fin guides available are for standard BT-sizes, from BT-5 up to BT-70.

Let me know when you have a 54mm and/or 75mm version.
HPR version coming?
I've been considering this, and have decided that it makes sense. But, because of the variety of MPR and HPR needs, I'll need more input.

Which tubes are of interest - i.e. which manufacturer and diameter, or do you at least have an accurate diameter in mind?
What fin thicknesses are important?
How about fin count? The LPR ones can hold fins every 30 degrees, for 12 fins. But, is 3 or 4 fins enough, for 90 and 120 degrees apart?
Any other features that would be of value?

viperfixr said:
...like 29mm to 6" airframe options bought in pairs?
I like the "in pairs" option. With larger fins, holding both ends in place can be of great value.

Last edited:
I bought a set of the LPR guides a few months ago and they are great!

Mike

Bump--sure would like to see these fin guides in HP airframe/fin sizes.

I'll definitely be considering some of your things... looks like a very well thought out design for the alignment jig :D

Count me in!
The wish list.....

BMS (Balsa Machine Service)- The Mighty D= launch controller kit

Eggtimer altimeter kit

https://www.qualmanrocketry.com/ --- fin guides—any size, ring sets, rocket stands

Sirius Rocketry- The Launch Pad: Bullpup AGM-12
S.S. Cestris

New Way Rocketry - N-20 Demon

U.S. Rockets - Dual 18mm Rear Eject

Estes: Mega Mosquito

Uhh, unless I am mistaken, this is the wrong thread...

:)

HPR fin guides would be a great idea. I would suggest 3in, 4in, 5in, and 6in to start. Selling in pairs. Number of fins does not need to be that high. Accommodating for, 3, 4 and 6 should be sufficient for most. Also the size (out from the body) does not need to be massive. I would suggest the same size as body diameter and that will cover most requirements. The fin width is another variable, perhaps someone would have better input. Make sure they are also sturdy too.

With HPR you might need a few options for each body tube diameter but it's also going to be more profitable. I just dropped $1000 for a kit, epoxy, electronics etc. fin guides are a pain to make by hand accurately. Spending a little more to save me the work and have my rockets fly strait is easy choice.

Overall you will always get people with an odd size body tube and want their custom tapered fins but to make a commercial product you need to focus on the main.

And please ship to Canada.

Thanks
Andrew

DavidQ, are you still interested in offering the HPR fin alignment rings?

Last edited:
DavidQ, are you still interested in offering the HPR centering rings?
HPR centering rings could be an interesting idea. Since I haven't yet starting launcing HPR, I'm not really sure what would be required. My understanding is that they'd need to be rugged, like made from plywood. If so, that's a bit outside of my direction, since I'm keeping my laser mainly for use with cardstock and some thinner materials for now. There might be others with lasers that can satisfy HPR fin guides better. For instance, Carl at DFR Technologies just announced that he does custom work with his laser.

Fin alignment guides for HPR would be a better fit for my product line, however. I have started designing some based on feedback I've received, and am hoping to release them sometime early next year.

Latest posts

Back