Fiberglass park flyer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3stoogesrocketry

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This past summer I really missed out on flying simply because I dont have anything small anymore . Then I was able to aquire a nice 38mm thin walled fiberglass rocket kit / parts for a good deal . This is my first adventure with thin walled fiberglass tube , and im impressed so far . I created a 39 inch tall rocket that will fly on E thru J . The booster is 24.5 inches long and will hold up to a 18 inch long motor . The fins are thru the wall and are .050 thick with a simple rounded edge , nothing fancy . They are secured with JB weld , and I am planing on doing a single T2T with a red / black weave carbon hybrid cloth . There are two 1010 rail buttons. For recovery gear there is 30 feet of 750 lb rated braided kevlar and a 4 inch wide by 65 inch long streamer . Above that there is a 6 inch long avionics bay that houses a Perfect Flight MAWD I've had since 2000. I am also looking into getting my rocket hunter tracker stuffed into there . Connecting the to halfs together , there is a 4 inch long standard thickness coupler inserted 1.5 inches into the avionics bay that will be held in place by 3 plastic removable rivets . On the top end of the avionics bay , there is a 2.125 inch long standard thickness coupler with it extending .625 out of the end of the tube , again held in place by 3 plastic removable rivits. The nose cone will be held on with 3 very small .03 thick shear pins . Inside the nose cone there is 15 feet of 750 pound rated braided kevlar and a top flight 18 inch thin mill chute . This rocket will be flown on E's thru F primarily as my new feild I have access to is roughly 1500 x 1500 feet . Full up minus motor , the rocket weighs in at 1 pound exactly and sims to 700 feet on a E30 for its first flight next month. I have a G53FJ that sims to 2100 feet that I might try for its second flight.

Attachments

• 20200128_221454.jpg
    20200128_221454.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200128_224041.jpg
    20200128_224041.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 104
I’m currently building a dual deploy Wildman Intimidator Mini. Looks performance wise to be similar to your build. I wanted something I can launch locally without waiver on my AT40-120 casings. Need dual deploy experience prior to my L2.

I understand you used 30’ of Kevlar on the booster? I was planning on 16’ of 1/4” tubular Kevlar on the drogue and main sections. Am I too short?

Keep us updated.

I’m currently building a dual deploy Wildman Intimidator Mini. Looks performance wise to be similar to your build. I wanted something I can launch locally without waiver on my AT40-120 casings. Need dual deploy experience prior to my L2.

I understand you used 30’ of Kevlar on the booster? I was planning on 16’ of 1/4” tubular Kevlar on the drogue and main sections. Am I too short?

Keep us updated.

Yes I fly in Vermont , so there are a decent amount of trees to contend with. I used 1/8 inch brained Kevlar rated at 900 lbs . 1/4 inch is way to big.

Back