Feasibility Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry, still new to this: Firstly, Will the standard Ceasaroni igniter work for airstarting a 29mm sustainer? As it is specially designed for that particular motor I can't think of any other option.
Secondly, Could you use a Eggtimer TRS computer for both a sustainer airstart, and main chute deployment? Using the motor's ejection charge for drouge chute deployment?

Thank you now for any responses.

Sorry, still new to this: Firstly, Will the standard Ceasaroni igniter work for airstarting a 29mm sustainer? As it is specially designed for that particular motor I can't think of any other option.
Secondly, Could you use a Eggtimer TRS computer for both a sustainer airstart, and main chute deployment? Using the motor's ejection charge for drouge chute deployment?

Thank you now for any responses.
CTI motors are frequently used for sustainers because the electric matches used to light them are easily ignited by rocketry electronics.

The TRS does not do airstarts. The Eggtimer Classic, Quantum, and Proton do... if you can fit it into your rocket, the best choice would be the Proton, since it has a 120G accelerometer that detects motor burnouts.

++ what Cris said. I airstart 29mm and 38mm CTI motors with a Proton. The option to time from motor burnout is excellent. I also use a channel for a small separation charge.

I have airstarted CTI motors with an eggTimer Quantum. It works fine, but with 2 caveats. It's barometer only, so the airstart timing is -slightly- less certain than with the Proton. Setting the safety limits is slightly harder to calculate. But for your purpose, the Quantum wouldn't work because in airstart mode, the 2nd channel can only be drogue, not main.

That can be fixed with a second altimeter riding along, like an eggTimer Quark. I've also used an eggTimer Quark in the booster for redundant deployment and tethering (like a chute release) the booster main.

Back