Favorite "K" Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite "K" motor?

Why do you like it? Fire? Sound? Price? You name it!

I am mostly curious about Cesaroni and Aerotech loads but its up to you!

BTW like everyone on this forum, I like pictures too! :)

My favorite K motor is going to be the first one that I will ever use, whenever that will be. (I have never even seen anything launched on a K motor.)

Last edited:
Personally?

Aerotech K700W. There are a lot of nice K motors, including many from both AT and CTI, but the K700 takes the cake for me. Nice, decently long burn, huge white flame, loud roar, and lots of smoke.

[YOUTUBE]b-rDgBXkII8[/YOUTUBE]

AeroTech K375NW Boost to Sustain. Has the best of both worlds a good kick off the pad and a nice long burn. Also has a nice level of performance too.

Kit,
The two K motors flown at SARG were an AeroTech K270W in red rocket called Bad Boy and an AeroTech K550W in the fiberglass Dark Star kit.

Personally?

Aerotech K700W. There are a lot of nice K motors, including many from both AT and CTI, but the K700 takes the cake for me. Nice, decently long burn, huge white flame, loud roar, and lots of smoke.
Holy cow, that is some gargantuan field that you are launching it in!

AMW K1000 skid is my all-time favorite.

Between CTI and Aerotech I'd say CTI K815 skid

guess I just likes me some hard-hitting skids.

gonna have to try that CTI K1075 skid for my AMW case....

My favorite K motor is the K550. Here are a couple of pictures of my I-ROC EXT on a K550 at LDRS 28 in Potter, NY.

LDRS28-083297.jpg

Attachments

• LDRS28-081882.jpg
    LDRS28-081882.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 39
I haven't flown many 'K' motors(and only ONE 'L' motor)to date..But, I really like the AT K805 Mojave Green motor!:D

I've only flown one K motor so far, a Cesaroni K940WT. Suprisingly powerful for a 4-grain motor. It took the 20lb rocket to 3,600ft and pulled about 30Gs off the pad. Very loud boost and a cool flame with lots of mach diamonds. I have the 5 grain K1200WT that I'm itching to try.:D

As far as all time favorites go, I'm gonna have to agree with Chris. The AT K700 is pretty freakin awesome!

5118605181_d114cc7e97_b.jpg

My favorite k is the CTI k590 dual thrust. I like the pop off the pad and the long burn into the sky. To me its the best of both worlds.

827605-rocket-launch-9-4-2010.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a huge white lightning fan so the Aerotech K550 has been my favorite. My vendor was out of the 550 and I bought the K805 Green. That was awesome and came off the pad much faster than I expected. Very nice motor.

I haven't flown many 'K' motors(and only ONE 'L' motor)to date..But, I really like the AT K805 Mojave Green motor!:D

It's a tossup between the original fiberglass-cased K250W and K1050W for me. The K250 was the most awesome long burn motor for a LOC Magnum, and the K1050 did some NASTY things to lots of rockets. Miss 'em both.

I flew a K695R in my Stealth 54mm oddroc.

Beautiful motor, big red flame, moderate (2.3 seconds according to AT) burn time and a really nice roar.:D

I also flew it on 2 research K's. A K460 that was supposed to have been orange but came out red instead and an awesome K555 Blue.

Great roar on both of them.

Thanks again Marc for those motors.:)

Some people consider the K motor as the "sweet spot" in HPR.;)

Holy cow, that is some gargantuan field that you are launching it in!

It's a nice launch site, that's for sure. The mountains in the background add to the effect too - some of my favorite launch photos are from that launch site.

Oh, and here's another picture of some K700s (to stay somewhat on topic):

Last edited:
Mine is probably whatever I have on hand that fits the rocket I plan to fly it in....

-Kevin

If $80 is considered to be a bargain for a K motor, then it's going to be a very long time before I will ever be using one, even if by some miracle I am somehow able to get the certification. $80 for one flight? Geez! :y:

That's why I set up a separate account just for rocketry funds. I put a little in with each paycheck, then every few months I put in a big order for motors.

Last edited:
Right, but that's an O, 16x larger than a K. (Sorry, I must have misread things; I thought this thread was about K motors. Silly me.) And who in heck ever launches one of those anyway? Does the vendor even sell one of them over the course of a year?

Speaking of Kosdon, I'm looking at that site for prices for KBA reloads - J reloads are $30; OK, that's good.....

K reloads are $120! Going up one impulse class causes the price to jump 400%? :confused:

Gorilla's K reloads are $75. In this economy, can anyone even afford to launch anything larger than an I?

Right, but that's an O, 16x larger than a K. (Sorry, I must have misread things; I thought this thread was about K motors. Silly me.) And who in heck ever launches one of those anyway? Does the vendor even sell one of them over the course of a year?

Speaking of Kosdon, I'm looking at that site for prices for KBA reloads - J reloads are $30; OK, that's good.....

K reloads are $120! Going up one impulse class causes the price to jump 400%? :confused:

The cheapest small J is $30, and largish K motors are $120, so you're actually looking at a 3-4x increase in power going from the bottom end of a J to a mid to high end K. J motors are more typically around $50-80, and K motors are typically $90-150.

Back