Fastest, easiest way to add nosecone weight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Reaction score
I wasn’t sure what area to post this thread in. So I figured it would go in the staging, clustered, and air starts because the rocket that I have a question for is a clustered 3” Magnum with three 29mm motor mount tubes.
I just finished it. Im very satisfied with my completed project.
There is just one detail that needs attention and thats adding weight to the nosecone.
After test fitting three H115 Dark Matter, I find out that there is way too much weight in the back end. If it was a woman, weight in the back end would be fine with me but its not.
So my question is, what is the easiest way to add weight to the nose cone? Im not about to start drilling holes in the nose cone so I need another solution.

Attachments

• FE09DB67-B626-4EFF-B55D-5404089090D6.jpeg
    FE09DB67-B626-4EFF-B55D-5404089090D6.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 17
Depends on so many different factors. Such as what is the nosecone made of? Some popular options... Blow molded LPR? Clay. HPR? Steel or lead shot embedded in epoxy (making sure that you don't allow the epoxy to overheat the nosecone and melt it. Then there's the option to add shot, and some A/B foam... You pour in the shot, then add the A/B foam to seal it in place. Make sure that you look out for heating issues with the foam, and mitigate it if needed (and it's messy... very messy... So take measures to protect your rocket, and surrounding area from accidents if you go that route).

Depends on so many different factors. Such as what is the nosecone made of? Some popular options... Blow molded LPR? Clay. HPR? Steel or lead shot embedded in epoxy (making sure that you don't allow the epoxy to overheat the nosecone and melt it. Then there's the option to add shot, and some A/B foam... You pour in the shot, then add the A/B foam to seal it in place. Make sure that you look out for heating issues with the foam, and mitigate it if needed (and it's messy... very messy... So take measures to protect your rocket, and surrounding area from accidents if you go that route).
I was thinking about poring some type of glue or epoxy into the hole of the nose cone but Im not sure if that will dry though.

I was thinking about poring some type of glue or epoxy into the hole of the nose cone but Im not sure if that will dry though.
Epoxy sets with a catalyst... once you mix it, you've got a limited amount of time to work it before it kicks. One thing you should do is watch this video...

This doesn't apply here but the fastest nose weight I have done was at a club lauch a newbie was rejected at the RSO table. Assigned to me to fix. Did not bring modeling clay but some pea gravel from the parking lot, a good squirt of plastic zap CA, a little agitation, a little accelerator spray and it flew several times that day.

Epoxy sets with a catalyst... once you mix it, you've got a limited amount of time to work it before it kicks. One thing you should do is watch this video...

Thanks. That video was very helpful.

Get a piece of allthread that is the size of the hole in the nose cone, or 5/16-18, whichever is larger. If necessary enlarge the hole in the aft end of the nose cone to admit the allthread. Cut a hole in the side of the shoulder, large enough to insert fingers or needlenose pliers.

Push one end of the allthread in the aft hole. Add a nut, washer, and another nut, then another nut/washer/nut. One set of nuts & washer must be aft far enough so that they won't contact the side of the nose cone when the allthread is pushed in the whole way---but far enough forward to be fully embedded in the epoxy+(? dense stuff?) that will be in the tip of the nose cone. (Small pebbles plus sand makes for a fair nose cone weight, but lead shot or zinc granules/dust is much more dense.) The other set is screwed far aft to keep the assembly from breaking loose under acceleration.

Measure and mix epoxy well, then add the filler(s) and mix some more. Pour the mixture through the large hole into the tip of the nose cone. Push the allthread in so that the washer/nuts are completely embedded in the epoxy mix. Allow to cure.

1616686227402.png

Cut off the allthread, leaving a stub projecting, and screw an eyenut onto that stub.

If eyenuts are not available, an eyebolt could be used with a coupling nut to attach it to the allthread.

Attachments

• 1616685658430.png
    1616685658430.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I use lead shot and polyurethane glue in smooth un-sanded plastic nose cones. Never had any let loose yet.

Thanks everyone for the good info.
What I did is bought some of the this tape putty and stuck it to the nose cone. It gave it the right amount of weight I was looking for and now its ready to go.

Attachments

• 9C9E47E2-1C18-4A0A-A712-5870D0D36AFA.jpeg
    9C9E47E2-1C18-4A0A-A712-5870D0D36AFA.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 0FA96F96-ED88-4FDB-AB75-88A906093B7E.jpeg
    0FA96F96-ED88-4FDB-AB75-88A906093B7E.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back