Farside-X upscale advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it!
One of my friends built the Farside in science class as a child and was terrible at science, reading. math, etc. He launched it C6-0/C6-0/C6-7 and compared to the Alphas, Alpha 3's, and Skyhooks, he became a science star for the day. Teacher asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. He says now he's a long haul truck driver since they pay him to stare out a window all day.

Shame there aren't heavy lift BP motors around anymore to stage.

Could you use C5's or C6's in the booster pods? the C5 has a really high initial thrust spike (20Ns) but would waste a bit of the sustain.

Cheers / Robert
The CEO of Estes is in the making of Kits and products from years ago for 2021. We may see motors like you mentioned next year. The Maxi Brutes would be nice to see again from the early 80's and Motors. I had a Farside years ago and to have that model and fly it was impressive.An eye catcher on the field.
The C5 is made for heavier rockets to give a good punch .It has 50 % more punch than a C for lift. I do calculations and sometimes they may not work. This is the fun part of the hobby. I flew a Cherokee 3 stage many times with the highest engine rating. Nice to have at least 3 spotters every time . I someday would like to build an up-scale Micron.

Last edited:
The CEO of Estes is in the making of Kits and products from years ago for 2021. We may see motors like you mentioned next year. The Maxi Brutes would be nice to see again from the early 80's and Motors. I had a Farside years ago and to have that model and fly it was impressive.An eye catcher on the field.
The C5 is made for heavier rockets to give a good punch .It has 50 % more punch than a C for lift. I do calculations and sometimes they may not work. This is the fun part of the hobby. I flew a Cherokee 3 stage many times with the highest engine rating. Nice to have at least 3 spotters every time . I someday would like to build an up-scale Micron.
Several years ago (at the last Muncie NARAM) I commented to John Langford (effective owner of Estes Industries LLC) that a BP F30 heavy-lift motor, or something close to it, would be really nice to have. He grinned just a little and certainly did not throw any cold water on the idea. Take that for whatever you think it's worth...

Now, if we could just do away with the hazmat charges on those E & F BP motors...I really like the E16/F15 but I have no local source (I only shop for rockets at HL when there is no alternative, but they used to carry 29mm Estes; apparently no longer).

Awesome! It looks like it came off the rod just fine. So were these the C5s? Seems like a D12-5 is a short delay for this fast baby - no?
The first stage booster is 1xD12-0 and 3xB6-0. Second stage D12-0. The upper stage could probably go with a D12-7 or E12-8, but I don’t have any of those, it was D12-5. If Estes ever makes the C5-0, then I would try 4 of those in the first stage.

Back