fabricating Hemispherical nylon MR parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the JO-Ann fabric 50% discount thread we started talking about fabricating your own true Hemi Parachutes for use in low power model and Large model rockets. I finially found the Engineering Drawing manuel that gives a breif explaination of how to develope the gores of a hemisphere, and a drawing showing the procedure. I have posted the full size patterns for 6", 8" 10" and 12" 6 panel hemi-chutes in the jo-ann thread. With this layout plan you can develop your own gore patterns for any size parachute you would like. I have produced True Hemispherial parachutes from 6" to 48" using this method. Jo-Ann fabric sells both light weight rip-stop nylon in a number of colors and real silk which also makes some very nice chutes. It is possible to use this method to make plastic Hemi's with the use of a couple terrycloth towels and a dry iron or monocoat iron to seal the seams.
Hope this is of use.

someone ask about real Silk hemi-chutes. Jo-Ann's also carries some light weight silk. It is slightly easier to pack than the Rip-Stop nylon, but not by much. I have gotten an 18" and 12" silks in a BT-55 1/32nd scale F-104 but it is a thight fit.
below is a photo of the 18" silk with 8lb kevlar shroud lines.

I need a orange and black 30" parachute for my Jayhawk model (which will be launching on the 19th of April). I should have some fabric today, but I need a gore pattern for this chute. Can you post an image of the 15" core pattern with a 1" reference on it so I can enlarge the pattern to the size I need?

Sorry for the late post Doug:
I've been tied up with a "work project" all week, this is the first i've been back to the forum.
Sure, I should have thought of that earlier I'll add a one inch square and repost the full size scanned patterns a little later.
John

Here's the 15" Gore pattern with a 1" square If anyone needs the others 6,8,10 and 12" I have added the 1" square but don't want to waste space with double posts unless needed.

Back