F100 composite?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
I was just thinking, can Aerotech or some one else actually make a full F100 composite motor? One that can live up to the full designation of 100 nsec.? I think that could turn out to be really popular.A motor like that that would perfect for some of the mid size models out today.Probably in a 29mm case, or even 24mm if it 's possible.Just throwing this around to see what's possible.

You mean 100 newton avg thrust, not N-sec, which is total impulse (limited to 80 for F motors).

CTI has a 24mm F85 (white thunder) and a 24mm F240 (Vmax... only if old stock is available).
CTI also had in 29mm an F120 (Vmax again).

Any motor with over 80 N avg thrust is classified as a high power motor.

You mean 100 newton avg thrust, not N-sec, which is total impulse (limited to 80 for F motors).

CTI has a 24mm F85 (white thunder) and a 24mm F240 (Vmax... only if old stock is available).

Well, I meant in comparison to the old F100, which I believe was actually rated as a F50 or 60.Would an actual F80 black powder motor be possible?I know I would pay good money for that, plus it would open things up a bit considering that Estes is the only company currently making a black powder F motor,provided they aren't the ones to make it.Plus the greater thrust would be great for shorter, heavier rockets without having to shell out the cash for composites, and the limited impulse would keep it under high power designation so you wouldn't need to be certified to fly them.

The Aerotech F67W is very close to the FSI F100.

PlasmaJet experimented with an APCP regressive short duration burn F & G motor back in 1978.
My interest was in seeing higher power short duration black powder motors, specifically FSI F100's and also F7's.I have two FSI Viking kits that I was hoping to try and fly with the original FSI motors if I could find them but no luck there so they were converted to 18mm, I was looking for both The D18's and D20's but they've proven nearly impossible to find.I know of two people who have some but they can't legally ship them here.

Years ago I bought an Aerotech F72, 24mm SU motor. I don't know if they still make those occasionally.

I've noticed that a lot of our local ARC teams use F41 and F42 motors. I do a lot of launch photos and those rockets, not small rockets, get off the pad so fast that I have a hard time catching them in a photo. The reason for an F100 would be high thrust and current Aerotech F motors seem to fit that pretty well.

At the other end of the scale someone launched an I65 yesterday and it was really slow off the pad, barely adequate for that size rocket on a calm day.

Isn't Estes coming out with a new core burning E or F motor soon?

I've been making 24 mm motors. A 5 grain Bates comes out as a G80, 100 N-s. One less grain would be a large F64. Could use a faster propellant to up the thrust. Research motors, can't sell them.
I have concerns about large BP motors that have been around a while. The FSI F100 and F7 worked reliably when new but became bombs when aged. A BP motor cato is usually spectacular :)

Isn't Estes coming out with a new core burning E or F motor soon?
They have experimented with a high-thrust E that I presume was at least partially cored. I heard a first-hand account of a test firing around two years ago, and I believe it was mentioned at the NAR Manufacturers' Forum a couple of years ago, but I've heard nothing since and have grown pessimistic about its coming soon, if ever.

<<snip>>

At the other end of the scale someone launched an I65 yesterday and it was really slow off the pad, barely adequate for that size rocket on a calm day.
@bjphoenix

<<off topic alert>>

How high did the rocket fly on the I65 ?

Do you know if there is a video out there ?

That motor has always been on my do-list but It would take a dedicated rocket to do it justice and I've never gotten a round tuit !

Thanks !

-- kjh

@bjphoenix

<<off topic alert>>

That motor has always been on my do-list but It would take a dedicated rocket to do it justice and I've never gotten a round tuit !

Thanks !

-- kjh

Mine flew on a LOC 3" ISP rocket at 3lbs, It flew to almost 5,000 feet but I had to fly it "into the wind" by Order of the RSO which made it fly far down wind or it would have flown higher.

It left the pad strong.

Mine flew on a LOC 3" ISP rocket at 3lbs, It flew to almost 5,000 feet but I had to fly it "into the wind" by Order of the RSO which made it fly far down wind or it would have flown higher.

It left the pad strong.
That's unfortunate.

The I65W has a nice, long, regressive thrust curve starting at about 200 N and tailing off to 0 N at 8.5 sec so it might scare an RSO who is unfamiliar with it ( shamelessly stolen from ThrustCurve.ORG > I65 )
thrustcurve.org-i65.png
A little downwind might have been 'funner' :)

-- kjh

I'm not aware of a video and I don't know the owner of the rocket so I can't comment on altitude other than it appeared to be very high. The same rocket flew on a J250 to a little higher altitude. The I65 is the opposite of a high thrust short duration core burner in that it had relatively low thrust for a long time however the posted thrust curve shows that it at least has its highest thrust when it is trying to get the rocket off the pad and up to speed. After the launch day I remembered that LOC has the EZ-I65 kit that is presumably made to work with that motor. At our launch the rocket appeared to be maybe a little heavy for that motor in that it moved slowly at first and maybe didn't have optimum speed when it cleared the rail. Luckily it did stabilize itself well enough to provide a reasonably vertical flight. I don't like long burn motors if there is any chance that the rocket will turn into a ballistic trajectory and land far away, even including motors like C6 and E12.
I think I got the right photo of the I65 launch, this rocket I'm guessing at 4" diameter and a little over 6' long. (I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I might even have the wrong rocket photo.)DSC_0917r.jpg

That's not an EZ-I65 but probably made from LOC parts. The EZ-I65 kit is 4" but only weighs about 3 lb. Mine was 4 lb. set up for dual deployment (prepped but without motor). I would get about 3300' on an I65 and about 5500' on a Rx J100 (54/1280). The J100 is about 1000 N-s.

That's not an EZ-I65 but probably made from LOC parts. The EZ-I65 kit is 4" but only weighs about 3 lb. Mine was 4 lb. set up for dual deployment (prepped but without motor). I would get about 3300' on an I65 and about 5500' on a Rx J100 (54/1280). The J100 is about 1000 N-s.
Nope, not an EZI-65 but it could be an AT I65W motor ...

This is a rocket I've been pondering for the I65, J90, J99:
or-i65-hed-cardboard.png
The AT I65W is about the same lengrh as the RMS 54/852 so any of the three motors fit and they would be nice to see, especially that J99N :)

-- kjh

Attachments

• i65-md-hed-cardboard.ork
    432 KB · Views: 0
I've flown a J99. It's a warp-9 end burner and doesn't have much thrust off the pad.
The J90 is the closest RMS to the I65. An I65 is available in DMS.
In addition to the J90, Aerotech makes the J135, K185, and K270, all C-slot White Lightning.

My interest was in seeing higher power short duration black powder motors, specifically FSI F100's and also F7's.I have two FSI Viking kits that I was hoping to try and fly with the original FSI motors if I could find them but no luck there so they were converted to 18mm, I was looking for both The D18's and D20's but they've proven nearly impossible to find.I know of two people who have some but they can't legally ship them here.
Back to the topic at hand ...

Didn't the FSI motors come in 'odd' diameters ?

This is the entry for an FSI F100 from a 1998 RASP.ENG file
Code:
;
;F100 modified 8/11 to match NAR published delivered impulse, as tested 7/86
F100        27         150     0-4-6-8-10       0.0500   0.1080   F
             0.147      20.00
             0.230      49.85
             0.521      94.99
             0.669      48.00
             0.756      20.00
             0.930       0.00
;Total Impulse          40.72 (N-Sec)
;Avg Thrust             43.79 (N)
;Specific Imp           83.05 (Sec)

Note that the diameter is 27 mm and that it was just barely an F-Motor ( 40.72 N-sec ) and that the Average Thrust was really only 43.79 N.

As others have said, there are a few available motors that produce similar thrust curves.

These are All available F-Motors on ThrustCurve.org > All Available F-Motors

You can show 'All Entries' and sort by Avg Thrust or Total Impulse ... handy for finding the right motor for your mission ...

HTH

-- kjh

Didn't the FSI motors come in 'odd' diameters ?
<snip>
Note that the diameter is 27
@Buzzard gave me an FSI F7-6 a while back. I don't recall if I measured it, but it's definitely less than 29mm, and all the references I've seen say it was 27mm. I figure I'll mount it in 29mm ID tube with a cardstock shim to bridge the difference.

-6 delay is tricky to design around, which is the only reason I've not flown it yet. I'm looking forward to the experience when I get the chance, even if it CATOs.

@Buzzard gave me an FSI F7-6 a while back. I don't recall if I measured it, but it's definitely less than 29mm, and all the references I've seen say it was 27mm. I figure I'll mount it in 29mm ID tube with a cardstock shim to bridge the difference.

-6 delay is tricky to design around, which is the only reason I've not flown it yet. I'm looking forward to the experience when I get the chance, even if it CATOs.
Stephen --

Below is the FSI F7 from the same old RASP.ENG file

It too is listed with a 27mm diameter like the F100

-- kjh
Code:
;
;F7 modified 8/11 to match NAR published delivered impulse, as tested 3/80
F7          27         150     0-4-6-8          0.0580   0.1110   F
             0.400      10.00
             0.450      10.60
             0.500      10.00
             0.650       6.00
             0.700       6.20
             1.000       7.00
             1.100       5.75
             1.300       4.50
             1.500       5.09
             9.200       5.00
             9.520       0.00
;Total Impulse          48.80 (N-Sec)
;Avg Thrust              5.13 (N)
;Specific Imp           85.80 (Sec)

The FSI F100(E60) was no more than a pyrotechnic sky rocket black power motor.

It was gang-rammed on the same equipment that pyrotechnic black power motors were.

Hence their unreliability more often than not.

If youve forgotten or didn't know, the predecessors to the F100 were the famous Coasters, also re-purposed sky rocket motors too.

And when Centuri purchased the remains of coaster Corp, the Coasters became Centuri Atlas/Hercules BP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221_220708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221_220708_Chrome.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 0
  • Coaster1960.jpg
    Coaster1960.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
Back